Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 AM

105 posts, read 158,745 times

Advertisements

Hello,

A relative who is a student at UH - Downtown and she asked my opinion about whether she should pursue an accounting major (she does not want to do a CPA) vs. supply chain major. Both degrees would be from the business college. For context, here is the supply chain program description: UHD Supply Chain Management Program

I don't know much about these majors and was wondering if you would be able to provide your opinion about the pros/cons and starting salary in Houston for a female with a bachelors degree in either majors. Is one major better than the other in the Houston market?

She lives in the northwest part of town. She had heard from someone that most of the supply chain jobs are in the shipping channel area. So she's afraid of the long commute from NW Houston to shipping channel area. So she wants a decent commute and would prefer to stay close to the NW area of town.

I would appreciate your thoughts (specially if you're in one of the two majors).

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:58 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,742,862 times
If she doesn't want to do CPA work then I suggest Supply Chain. Lots of room for growth there. Seems that more and more accounting type positions are asking for CPA eligible or CPA cert.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 PM

81 posts, read 137,949 times
FWIW most of the campus recruits we have had in last few years out of the business school at UH (main campus) has been SCM majors, very few finance or acct. At career fairs at UH I have seen a large increase in the number of students with SCM concentration.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
If she doesn't want to do CPA work then I suggest Supply Chain. Lots of room for growth there. Seems that more and more accounting type positions are asking for CPA eligible or CPA cert.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by SCM having lots of room for growth? I would appreciate it.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:42 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,742,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvyRookie View Post
Could you elaborate on what you mean by SCM having lots of room for growth? I would appreciate it.
I just know people in that industry and they always tell me about their scope of work changing and venturing off into other parts of SC and procurement. They are always coming up with new jobs for SC personnel and they growth and learning will always be going on (as with any job). It just seems that the people I know that are in that field are always doing new stuff to stay ahead of the curve on purchasing, procurement, management, systems compliance, etc.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:57 PM

39 posts, read 65,007 times
Why does she not want to do the CPA? Without a CPA you'll typically be very limited in accounting jobs and progression. While you technically don't need a CPA except to sign off on an audit or tax form, it's a sign of competence and pretty much expected to move up at earlier stages of an accountants career. With a CPA a person (particularly from a decent but not stellar university) should have very good job prospects relative to many other majors (however, I am not knowledgable enought to compare to the SCM degree). I would think SCM jobs are much broader in Houston than just the ship channel. Basically any small to large energy or industrial compan, most of which are headquartered on the North or West side.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt McGirt View Post
Why does she not want to do the CPA? Without a CPA you'll typically be very limited in accounting jobs and progression. While you technically don't need a CPA except to sign off on an audit or tax form, it's a sign of competence and pretty much expected to move up at earlier stages of an accountants career. With a CPA a person (particularly from a decent but not stellar university) should have very good job prospects relative to many other majors (however, I am not knowledgable enought to compare to the SCM degree). I would think SCM jobs are much broader in Houston than just the ship channel. Basically any small to large energy or industrial compan, most of which are headquartered on the North or West side.
Well I think the reason she doesn't want to do CPA is because she wants to start earning as soon as she graduates. So I can understand why she doesn't want to go through process of accounting internship/cpa exam etc.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:21 PM

213 posts, read 300,979 times
This is my two cents. Being a female, and being the reality of today, you Have to have a graduate degree to have any chance in the next 20 years to stay competitive. Having a CPA puts you in line with, and even better in some cases/fields, as having a graduate degree. My point it, there will need to be extra effort after the degree no matter what.

While SCM is similar to accounting is some activities, accountants and SCM personnel/personality are Totally different. She probably really needs to think about where she fits; i.e. give some consideration and research to what people in those fields are really like and who she wants to be.

Accounting is a great basic and you don't have to stay there, but SCM degrees have become a niche degree and people seem to be doing well with them. However, masters is a must, especially for a female. There are glass ceilings for everyone and it's better to open up the window of opportunity. One more point, sometimes you can double major and only have to go to one more year of school. It makes you so much more marketable with very little time invested considering how long you will work. Since both degrees are in the business school, this could be a possibility. Never say never!

Old 02-10-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geolvl View Post
This is my two cents. Being a female, and being the reality of today, you Have to have a graduate degree to have any chance in the next 20 years to stay competitive. Having a CPA puts you in line with, and even better in some cases/fields, as having a graduate degree. My point it, there will need to be extra effort after the degree no matter what.

While SCM is similar to accounting is some activities, accountants and SCM personnel/personality are Totally different. She probably really needs to think about where she fits; i.e. give some consideration and research to what people in those fields are really like and who she wants to be.

Accounting is a great basic and you don't have to stay there, but SCM degrees have become a niche degree and people seem to be doing well with them. However, masters is a must, especially for a female. There are glass ceilings for everyone and it's better to open up the window of opportunity. One more point, sometimes you can double major and only have to go to one more year of school. It makes you so much more marketable with very little time invested considering how long you will work. Since both degrees are in the business school, this could be a possibility. Never say never!
Great points. It's helpful to have a female perspective on this. I don't know much about these two majors but based on what people have said here, it sounds like SCM is an ever changing field while Accounting seems to have a more stable body of knowledge.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:50 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,959,033 times
Without going to specifics, I guarantee there are lots more door opening for an accounting degree than a SCM degree.

Lots of accountants do not get CPAs. The only people that even pursue CPA are the practicing accountants or comptrollers.

Nothing against UH Downtown, but if i am a recruiter I would think of an accounting degree would be worth a lot more than a SCM degree from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: