Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 04:45 PM

6 posts, read 4,780 times

Advertisements

I recommend Cypress Far enough from the crime but close enough to get to the hustle and bustle. Semi Semi country and plenty of porch space. Really good schools. Cyfair ISD Look it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 09:06 AM

52 posts, read 74,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post

why does this user "truth avenger" spread dis-information? in other threads says inside the loop has "high traffic and high crime rate"
-.-

there isn't traffic inside the actual loop, it's on 610 itself, and crime? many parts inside the loop are safer than the Galleria area!
Safer than the Galleria is saying much in my opinion. Hey these people come to this forum for honest answers to important questions regarding an expensive life changing event....moving to a different part of the country. As much as we want to see Houston as we would like it to be, these people need honest answers.

The truth is the city is expensive compared to the suburbs, the schools are bad compared to the suburbs, the crime is higher compared to the suburbs, and the traffic is worse compared to the suburbs. But if "diversity" is their priority, the city is where they should go.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 12,235 times
Hi! I'm originally from Brooklyn and biracial, and as far as diversity goes I always feel at home in Houston. Its awesome. Some of these posts are so true, lots of of home options here and it may take time to find what you had in mind. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2015, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,755 times
Thank you for all of your replies, I really appreciate it. By the sounds of it, Texas is not much different than NYC, I will do more research on this Texas or maybe another state. Thanks Again

Old 02-27-2015, 11:26 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker78 View Post
Thank you for all of your replies, I really appreciate it. By the sounds of it, Texas is not much different than NYC, I will do more research on this Texas or maybe another state. Thanks Again
LOL. Not sure where you got that idea even from the thread. If you do move to Texas, there will be culture shock.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:57 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,158 times
There's big bugs here.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 PM

672 posts, read 847,445 times
Texas and NYC are night and day different. Born and raised in NYC and have been here in the Houston area for 2 years. The only way that they're similar is in the diversity of the people. Culturally though, Texas and NYC don't even compare.....I would never move back to NY.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:29 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,819 times
don't bring any of that blue state with you either.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:31 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker78 View Post
I don't think you've gotten good replies or read them correctly if that's your takeaway.
There are former New Yorkers who do very well in Houston and there are those who are just miserable here. This is pattern I've noticed -

Those who used to live in Queens or ungentrified Brooklyn and goes into the city no more than once a month usually love Houston.

Those who had a more active lifestyle often find Houston boring by comparison initially. After a couple of years however most of them do find enough of what they used to enjoy in Houston.

Whichever category the transplant belongs there is enough of a difference in the demographics/pace/transportation situation to create culture shock.

If you're moving from Phoenix or Atlanta then there's not much difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston