Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 03:24 PM

497 posts, read 1,478,691 times

Advertisements

I have a daughter who is an A&M grad and one who is going to UH. Especially for Geophysics I would say absolutely A&M - if your son is a top student.

A&M is harder but the networking and job placement doesn't get any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:12 AM

17 posts, read 22,982 times
A&M is a good school, and it's proponents have done a good job advocating for it in this thread.

I'm a proud UH alum, but not in geosciences, so I can't give you advice on that particular inquiry. I have put out a call for more informed individuals to chime in here. Hopefully they do.

But I can tell you in general terms that the transformation and progress of UH, in many aspects, over the last decade has been absolutely breathtaking. I am very excited about what my school is evolving into. I encourage you to personally visit the campus and talk with the professors to really learn what kind of opportunities the University of Houston can provide.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:26 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,931,328 times
Wow, geosciences! UH is an excellent school that's up and coming, but to study anything even remotely closely related to the oil and gas field at A&M is a different story. Not only is the major valuable but a degree from A&M is very valuable in Texas.

UH could have an advantage being close to the city and there might more access to internships and jobs, but I'm sure in the long run an A&M degree will be the better investment. The Aggie network is one of the top there strongest alumni networks behind a Notre Dame and USC.

But I second what the poster said above. Don't rule out UH completely. That school has grown by leaps and bounds. Some of the posters here might be older and only remember UH as a commuter school. It is most certainly not anymore.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,217,690 times
Another UH alum but not in geoscience. A&M is better academically, and of course the college experience will be much better at A&M. But yes UH is growing rapidly as we speak (as in new buildings/housing/restaurants/stadium and basketball arena coming/light rail next door). I regularly attend athletic and sometimes arts events at UH, and it would be unrecognizable if you are only familiar with pre- 2000's UH. Plus there is a stronger emphasis on academics along with a push to elevate UH closer to a flagship status. So while A&M is almost superior all around, you still would not do bad by choosing UH. The diversity at UH is something you would find at only a handful of other US universities, too.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:33 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,179,522 times
you went to UH but says A&M is better all the way around meaning you must've wanted to go there but detoured to UH.....that's the typical UH response and the reason why they're stuck in some areas

stop comparing UH to A&M and UT....take away the "bars" from A&M and what else is there to do socially?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:50 PM

955 posts, read 1,032,999 times
Personally, being IN the city of Houston is what made me select the University of Houston over Texas A&M. Sure, the Aggie network is great but there is also a HUGE Cougar network in Houston (200/250k)...most UH Alums have no reason to leave Houston. Plus, they often get a head start because many of the programs are directly tied back to the Houston community. As an undergrad, I had a number of projects that worked directly with prestigious companies and organizations in the city of Houston. I was in a different major but the learning laboratory of the city of Houston, itself, can not be underestimated.

As far as the current version of the University of Houston- they have made INCREDIBLE strides over the last 10-15 years...and they are not anywhere close to being done. The campus has undergone a building boom, the level of their academics have been raised and this once "commuter school" is now second to only Texas A&M for the most number of beds on campus in the state of Texas.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:53 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,217,690 times
I turned down scholarships to UT and A&M to go to UH. UT was too far from home for me. I didn't want to go to A&M. UH was a good compromise for the things I wanted. Now I am 100% Coog. You will never burnt see orange or maroon gear on me.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:21 PM

22 posts, read 82,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
you went to UH but says A&M is better all the way around meaning you must've wanted to go there but detoured to UH.....that's the typical UH response and the reason why they're stuck in some areas

take away the "bars" from A&M and what else is there to do socially?

Analyze siliciclastic and carbonate core samples so that you'll be on your game and knowledgeable by the time recruiters come around...and then after bagging a 6 figure salary out of school one could partake in a myriad of social activities.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,959,873 times
Coogs have come such a long way. The transformation "almost" make me proud to be a UH alumni, and then they do dumb things like sold the name of the stadium to a local credit union. Sometimes is not about the money, but what it represent the school.

I also wish they would have push through requiring the freshman to live in the campus. Who care what some local council man complain, do what is good for the university. The President should have push it through.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:56 PM

201 posts, read 911,112 times
I don't think anyone is saying UH is a bad school; I personally think quite the opposite. But the OP is asking for a relative comparison in terms of her son's specific situation, so she's really just asking for opinions between good and gooder (Aggie grammar) and there certainly isn't a right answer in all situations. In other words, it's a good problem to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston