Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:33 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,804 times

Advertisements

Lol, OP tell those folks from Louisiana to move back. A lot of them moved here because of Katrina. It looks like their city is fixed, and if they hate living here that much they should go back. Especially since all the heavy lifting has been done.

Sorry, I have no patience for folks who don't want to take care of what they have. I actually have a few people from LA in my circle of friends who used to complain about how things were "different" here in Houston. They were actually friends of a college buddy who went to Tulane for Grad School. After Katrina hit, they came here to crash. They ended up crashing here on a long term basis, but for the first year or two, all they did was compare Houston negatively to New Orleans.

During a happy hour, after everyone had a few drinks, those guys started their usual complaints. I don't know if it was because it was a rough week at work, or if it was the booze, or some combination of both; but I lost my patience and firmly suggested that they go back. Several years later, I still haven't heard a complaint about this town from those guys.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 AM

639 posts, read 821,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Well, no. I've been hearing this before the Mardi Gras, unfortunately.

LA people are always like "They can't cook here," "There is no culture here," "The barbers can't cut here," "It's so dead here," "I can't find andouille or any of my special ingredients here," etc.

A lot of times, LA people make Louisiana seem like it's the best place in the world. However, I think there are very few places that serve authentic Cajun and Creole food considering the large amount of LA people here. Honestly, I bet you if I were to go to LA, the best Cajun and Creole food would be from someone's home. Trust me, I've had some bland food in Louisiana recently.

Also, considering New Orleans's very small size, you would think that the NO people here would find much more things to do here.
No, its your perception that they are implying that Louisiana is the best place in the world. I would presume that a lot of times when you hear Louisiana folks talking up Louisiana its just because they probably miss home and certain aspects of life in Louisiana. Just like Louisianans, Texans can be sensitive sometimes. Aslo I'm from NOLA and have family and friends who live in H-Town and there are some things they like and some things they do not like but i can honestly say the good outweighs the bad most of the time. You're right NOLA is small comapred to Houston and one would think that finding more things to do SHOULD be easier in H-town but just like alot of things we ALL know that New Orleans punching well above the waist considering its size.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
It sounds more like your friends are wanting Houston to be like whatever city in Louisiana they're from. And while Houston is indeed a Gulf Coast city, it's never going to be a Louisiana city and they're going to be sorely disappointed.

I find plenty of international culture here (I'm one myself). I can find all my international ingredients here. I'm sorry that your friends can't find their andouille; but again, Houston is an international city, not a Louisiana one.

Don't get me wrong, New Orleans is my favorite city to visit and I LOVE the food, but I'd probably die if I had to go a year without some of my favorite Korean, Japanase, Thai, and Chinese food here. I suspect your friends are feeling the same way about missing the food from home.

If some of your friends are great cooks, encourage them to start a restaurant or a food truck. If they think they can do better food than anyone else in this city, then it's time for them to prove it.
There is andouille sausage in Houston . A quick Google search or simply asking around would reveal where you can get it, and it reiterates my point that many transplants aren't putting forth much of an effort in getting to know the city. Seriously, Houston is practically Louisiana just as much as it is Texas, so there isn't a single Cajun or Creole ingredient you can't find in the vicinity (wigh the exception of maybe a few specific brand names).

And New Orleans does punch above its weight when it comes to ethnic cuisine, which includes each of those you just listed. You will never be bored eating in that city. I probably seemed to be suggesting otherwise earlier.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
No, its your perception that they are implying that Louisiana is the best place in the world. I would presume that a lot of times when you hear Louisiana folks talking up Louisiana its just because they probably miss home and certain aspects of life in Louisiana. Just like Louisianans, Texans can be sensitive sometimes. Aslo I'm from NOLA and have family and friends who live in H-Town and there are some things they like and some things they do not like but i can honestly say the good outweighs the bad most of the time. You're right NOLA is small comapred to Houston and one would think that finding more things to do SHOULD be easier in H-town but just like alot of things we ALL know that New Orleans punching well above the waist considering its size.
Agreed. Both Houston and New Orleans are two of my favorite cities in the world but for different reasons.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:00 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
There is andouille sausage in Houston . A quick Google search or simply asking around would reveal where you can get it, and it reiterates my point that many transplants aren't putting forth much of an effort in getting to know the city. Seriously, Houston is practically Louisiana just as much as it is Texas, so there isn't a single Cajun or Creole ingredient you can't find in the vicinity (wigh the exception of maybe a few specific brand names).
Even if you tell them where to find that andouille sausage and practically shove it in their mouths yourself, they're probably going to complain that it's not as good as the ones in Louisiana and go back to complaining that they can't find any *good* andouille in Houston.

You can just never win with those types of people, so I wouldn't bother trying.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Poi View Post
That they're uncivilized? There's a lot of truth in that.

Otherwise this is an asinine thread. I feel slightly dumber for participating.
And Texans are the most civilized people on the face of the earth. Knock it off

Old 02-18-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Even if you tell them where to find that andouille sausage and practically shove it in their mouths yourself, they're probably going to complain that it's not as good as the ones in Louisiana and go back to complaining that they can't find any *good* andouille in Houston.

You can just never win with those types of people, so I wouldn't bother trying.
Well, it wouldn't matter anyway since the best andouille comes from France and not Louisiana.

Besides, Texas has its own great sausages to choose from. Hot links make a good Texas style gumbo. Even Elgin sausage works if you're going for a more tame flavor.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Lol, OP tell those folks from Louisiana to move back. A lot of them moved here because of Katrina. It looks like their city is fixed, and if they hate living here that much they should go back. Especially since all the heavy lifting has been done.

Sorry, I have no patience for folks who don't want to take care of what they have. I actually have a few people from LA in my circle of friends who used to complain about how things were "different" here in Houston. They were actually friends of a college buddy who went to Tulane for Grad School. After Katrina hit, they came here to crash. They ended up crashing here on a long term basis, but for the first year or two, all they did was compare Houston negatively to New Orleans.

During a happy hour, after everyone had a few drinks, those guys started their usual complaints. I don't know if it was because it was a rough week at work, or if it was the booze, or some combination of both; but I lost my patience and firmly suggested that they go back. Several years later, I still haven't heard a complaint about this town from those guys.

No city is PERFECT, all have there positives and negatives including New Orleans and Houston. Some people are just really sensitive and can't take CONSTRUCTIVE criticism about anything. In your case though I can understand how you may have gotten a little aggravated with those guys because some of the things they were saying probably came across as if they were DISSING instead of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Last edited by NativeSon504; 02-18-2015 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 10:54 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,804 times
It's hard to construe a statement like "the _____ in New Orleans is so much better than Houston" as constructive criticism.

If it were constructive, I'd imagine the statement would be something like "You guys in Houston should consider improving your ______ by adding/doing _______."

What got under my skin more than anything was the repetitive nature of their negative criticism.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
It's hard to construe a statement like "the _____ in New Orleans is so much better than Houston" as constructive criticism.

If it were constructive, I'd imagine the statement would be something like "You guys in Houston should consider improving your ______ by adding/doing _______."

What got under my skin more than anything was the repetitive nature of their negative criticism.
Truthfully and honestly there are things New Orleans does better than Houston and vice versa but as you stated it was more of the "repetitive nature of their negative criticism" that rubbed you the wrong way and I definitely feel you on that. Its all good though homie.

Last edited by NativeSon504; 02-18-2015 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston