U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 07:24 AM

20,921 posts, read 12,586,699 times

Advertisements

It is not so much the exemption on the church proper that bothers me as much as the other real estate that is not taxed. There was a church owned house in my subdivision valued at 400,000 plus. Of course they paid no property tax. They also refused to pay the HOA. We were small, self governed and the fee went to pay for the trash collection, street lights, landscaping and occasional mosquito spraying. It was explained to the church what the fees went for. The preacher's son, who lived in the house, started taking his trash to the church. The church also owned 2 planes and a helicopter kept at Hooks airport.

People give all sorts of property to charity. IMHO, taxes should be paid on stuff they are making money from. Most church funds go to the comfort of mankind instead of real charity these days.

When churches get involved in politics, they should forfeit tax relief on that portion on funds used on politicking.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-08-2015, 03:11 PM

960 posts, read 2,638,615 times
It's a complicated matter where a non-profit sometimes still pay taxes. So, in Joel Osteen's case, I've heard that his book royalty is a personal revenue in lieu of a church salary - so he's paying taxes on that. If a church has a bookstore, resale shop, restaurant, or non-church related business, those are called "auxiliary revenues" and those are taxed as ordinary corporate tax rates, plus sales tax, employment tax, etc. Also, there is a little known business personal property tax that ordinary citizen don't normally see unless they own a business. These are personal property taxes on office and store furniture, computers, equipment, company cars, etc.

So, I think you need to stop getting all upset assuming that churches don't pay taxes at all. Besides, if you wanted to tax the churches, it's all passed down to the primary source of revenue from the church member's tithe. And good churches have humble ministers and give money for their missionary to spread the Word of God, to help the poor, and to heal the sick. Still, some churches spend too much on fancy church renovations and expensive homes for the ministers but I assure you that those are not well received from church members. Unfortunately, major decision are made by the vestry who are usually chosen by the senior pastor. So there's little that the church members can do except to leave.

Last edited by Bike4Life; 03-08-2015 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 03:22 PM

15,633 posts, read 23,247,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
///good churches have humble ministers and give money for their missionary to spread the Word of God, to help the poor, and to heal the sick. Still, some churches spend too much on fancy renovations and expensive homes for the ministers but I assure you that those are not well received from church members. ...

Many, if not most, of the larger churches, whose ministers preach that money and success are the rewards of a life well-lived, do spend a LOT of money on renovations/extravagant decorations -- and the members dont mind because they've been brainwashed to agree with their ministers' philosophy.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:31 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,521,146 times
Flat tax. Everybody and every entity pays it. NO ONE is exempt. Period. Problem solved.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:45 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,295,039 times
Do all these other mega churches like Second Baptist (they're building a new one close to our house) pay any property taxes?
Not sure why there's only angst against Lakewood (I'm not a member there) not paying taxes.
Churches (whether you agree with what they preach) have always been exempt from paying property taxes.
Nothing new here.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:52 PM

497 posts, read 1,433,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If you want to see a country fee of government you need only look at places like Somalia.
Somalia's issues are not due to a lack of government. But I won't go there today.

How about the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany or North Korea?

Instead: How about a small and limited central government that is controlled by the states rather than the other way around. Like modern Switzerland? Or what we are supposed to have in the US?

How about something that works, where power is shared, so that no single entity becomes dictatorial?

Last edited by studiobtm; 03-08-2015 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 03-08-2015, 06:56 PM

3,931 posts, read 6,006,391 times
Great Britain taxes the parishioners at the churches n the basis of their income. Don't belong to a church, no tax, which is causing people to drop church membership.

Current blowup is the town of Lake Worth, FL which is assessing a business license on churches, saying they have to get a business tax license to exist.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:00 PM

497 posts, read 1,433,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It is not so much the exemption on the church proper that bothers me as much as the other real estate that is not taxed. There was a church owned house in my subdivision valued at 400,000 plus. Of course they paid no property tax. They also refused to pay the HOA. We were small, self governed and the fee went to pay for the trash collection, street lights, landscaping and occasional mosquito spraying. It was explained to the church what the fees went for. The preacher's son, who lived in the house, started taking his trash to the church. The church also owned 2 planes and a helicopter kept at Hooks airport.

People give all sorts of property to charity. IMHO, taxes should be paid on stuff they are making money from. Most church funds go to the comfort of mankind instead of real charity these days.

When churches get involved in politics, they should forfeit tax relief on that portion on funds used on politicking.
All sorts of non-profits are involved in politics and I see no reason to single out churches - that is just a backhanded way of trying to stifle their first amendment rights.

I do completely agree with you though that that church should have paid HOA dues if they were receiving HOA benefits. I have been ripped off by Christian ministers who seem to think they are special and everyone owes them a living. That is not a typical attitude among ministers but it certainly does exist.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:17 PM

3,024 posts, read 4,703,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Many, if not most, of the larger churches, whose ministers preach that money and success are the rewards of a life well-lived, do spend a LOT of money on renovations/extravagant decorations -- and the members dont mind because they've been brainwashed to agree with their ministers' philosophy.

Yes your are correct about some preachers well known, won't call names certainly to preach "that money and success are the rewards of a life well-LIVED. That really bothers me.

I won't to point out one church, the largest giver of money to the Southern Baptist Group of Churches, not the largest by far, does not, has not preached this in the 25 years of my attendance, or I would "hit the door".

Also,the church sponsors/supports the formation of other independent SBC churches. Also, gives millions to mission work, not just preaching, food,clothes,homes,education, disaster relief, through out the world. Just saying...

Old 03-08-2015, 07:29 PM

2,940 posts, read 4,738,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
if you are going to ***** about lakewood, then what about 2nd baptist, who has five or six locations, not to mention the house that Ed Young lives in, which is 800k and is "church property...what about other mega churches like Kerry Shook's the woodlands church (with three locations) or Windsor Village or any other church that has big time real estate holdings?

I know in Missouri City, they would rather any former big box locations to remain empty instead of a church moving in because they wont get any tax dollars
This. All the finger pointing at Lakewood when Houston is home to MANY extremely large megachurches needs to stop.

Dislike Lakewood and Joel Osteen if you want but people need to stop acting like he's the long megachurch in the city

Shoot, I.V Hillard has a freaking jet. Like a preacher needs a private plane. You don't need an Air Force One.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston