Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:29 AM

77 posts, read 114,057 times

Advertisements

Briar Forest Drive in the EC is a long busy street with restricted parking in front of the homes between certain hours of the day. If you didn't have young kids would you consider it for the right home and to get in to the area? wondering what people think of some of the busy neighborhood streets we have houses on here in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 11:06 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,775,590 times
I looked at a couple of homes on Briar Forest Drive, just east of the beltway, a few years back. In retrospect, glad that I didn't pull the trigger on any of them. Traffic noise can be mitigated with double or triple-paned windows, but the parking issue won't go away - a major problem if you like to entertain. Backing out of the driveway into 40 mph traffic is no fun either. Over the next 10+ years, I'd count on traffic on all major through streets in Houston getting worse, or at least not getting better.

There's a good reason that Briar Forest Drive homes sell at a $100k+ discount to homes one street to the north or south.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:14 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,158,249 times
I would pass. Twice I have had clients buy on busy streets (once on Briar Forest), when I tried to talk them out of it. Both times, they called less than a year later to get out of that location. Guess what? They were difficult to sell, also.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the comments. I am looking West of beltway 8.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:12 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,009,889 times
I'd have to get a spectacular deal on it to even consider it, like at 60% of a house on an interior street in the same neighborhood, and even then only with a circular driveway.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,438,859 times
No

Old 03-16-2015, 12:40 PM

71 posts, read 139,444 times
There are deep discounts on all main streets in the EC area...Wilcrest, Kirkwood, obviously main arteries...but even some throughgoing streets are less desirable and less expensive because of traffic and noise.

The big problem on BF is speed and potholes. There are long drags without any signals where cars can build up speed, while cutting each other off to avoid the patches in the pavement that reappear no matter how many times the city tosses in some asphalt. That whole road needs redone, but it's not on the plans for any time soon. Last year, the storm drains near Dairy Ashford were up sized to help with the flooding, but as mentioned above, traffic will only increase and roads degrade.

I lived interior, a few blocks south of Briar Forest, but at a corner. Wouldn't buy a corner again, because of two streets of rush hour traffic instead of one, and i didnt like the noise and lack of privacy. But hey, some folks prefer the large lots. I'm guessing a lot of people who live on the main drags get used to the noise or move out. Still, even houses on Briar Forest were selling fast last spring...some very nice remodels. Its a pros and con's thing.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:29 PM

986 posts, read 1,266,662 times
You should only buy if you have no plans to ever sell.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:54 PM

71 posts, read 139,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
You should only buy if you have no plans to ever sell.
That might be a little harsh. Every home has a potential buyer. True, you won't make as much profit and it may take longer to sell, but it will, and they do. People just need to realize what they're getting into...constant traffic noise and an unusable front yard. Some homes on main streets do have curved drives or long drives to better accommodate parking.

What I don't get with these forums is the perception that people should only buy the best, ignore the rest. Some people can't afford to. Some like a particular neighborhood or want to get their kids in a school zone, but will have to settle for a fixer upper or main road home. Even houses on Briar Forest are pushing 300k west of the beltway, so there has been area demand.

We lived 4 years in a nice established neighborhood near BF. I didn't see a point to overpaying a few hundred grand to buy into identical vintage houses on the same crap soils or in worse shape (70s kitchens, fault zones, etc) just to claim a school district or a neighborhood title. Why go housepoor for some presumed prestige when there are other ways to make your life/education/ commute fulfilling? Would I buy on BF? No, but someone else might have no problems.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 PM

We didn't get the option. Got out bid. Lots of bids on the home. Nice Renovation job on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston