Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:11 PM

61 posts, read 127,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
Friendswood is great long as you can afford to live on the Galveston county side. The harris county side is ghetto. Alvin? no way.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it ghetto, but Wintersbone is right that the Galveston County portion of Friendswood (more specifically, the portion zoned to Friendswood ISD) is nicer than the Harris county portion. Friendswood is a great suburb with more of a "small town" feel than other Houston suburbs. The schools in FISD are excellent-- you didn't mention schools, but even if you don't have kids, good schools are great for resale values. If you look for homes on har.com, you may want to search by school district and choose Friendswood ISD. Friendswood is the kind of place where people move and stay-- you'll often find that people selling their homes in Friendswood are just moving down the street to a bigger or smaller house to fit their needs. Houses here cost more than the surrounding suburbs, but in my opinion, the extra cost is worth it for the great schools and small town feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 03:18 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,244,664 times
I am in Friendswood and Alvin a lot. Just yesterday I ate a mouth-watering bacon burger at Perry's Grill in Friendswood! Anyway, Friendswood is great. The big box stores and amenities are not in Friendswood proper, but they are on the periphery. They do that on purpose. A lot of it feels more like a small town rather than a suburb. Now I did get pulled over by FPD ON EASTER SUNDAY because for some reason turning left from Dixie Farm Road into the Kroger on FM 518 and Dixie Farm Road is now illegal. But it was just a warning. Still I'd have to problem living there.

Now Alvin... A lot of Alvin is run down. Strangely it is not really that bad of a town. It's just isolated and very 'meh.' You will need to drive a good ways if you want a bookstore or a large cinema. One of the nicer parts of Alvin is the SW side behind the Kroger on 35. Very pleasant neighborhoods over there. I think living on the outer fringes of Alvin would be nice, but living in Alvin proper - I would not do that. Lots of cowboy hats and big truck, too.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:58 AM

8 posts, read 7,419 times
Really appreciate the discussion on Alvin vs. Friendswood. I think Friendswood sounds like a place to really check out. THANK YOU everyone.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:11 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,638,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove333 View Post
Really appreciate the discussion on Alvin vs. Friendswood. I think Friendswood sounds like a place to really check out. THANK YOU everyone.
Consider that's a minimum extra 30 mins each day in the car for her vs Clear Lake, going to IAH.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Consider that's a minimum extra 30 mins each day in the car for her vs Clear Lake, going to IAH.
Friendswood is directly across I-45 from Clear Lake. The commute to IAH should be about the same, especially if the OP chooses something in northern Friendswood. FM 2351, which leads to Friendswood if you head west/southwest from I-45, is the same road as Clear Lake City Blvd. I googled driving times just to check: From my house in northern Friendswood to IAH is 48 minutes right now, according to google. I chose a random street off Clearlake City Blvd, and it's 45 minutes to IAH. A 3 minute difference. If the OP chooses to buy in southern Friendswood, like West Ranch area, the commute to IAH increases to 53 minutes, which is still less than a 10 minute difference from the Clear Lake commute.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:06 PM

I live in Clear Lake. The 3 minute difference is outside of rush hours using 45. When I said +30 mins I meant round trip, during rush hour, due to access to the E. Tollway, which flows at posted speeds all day. If rush hour isn't an issue then yes, Friendswood is a good choice.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I live in Clear Lake. The 3 minute difference is outside of rush hours using 45. When I said +30 mins I meant round trip, during rush hour, due to access to the E. Tollway, which flows at posted speeds all day. If rush hour isn't an issue then yes, Friendswood is a good choice.
I'm still having a hard time understanding where you're getting a 15 minnute difference each way. How do you access the tollway? I would think any time spent using means other than 45 to access the tollway would be a waste of time. Highway 3 is a nightmare of traffic lights. And if you're accessing the tollway from 45, then that puts Friendswood and Clearlake back on even footing.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekatiel View Post
I'm still having a hard time understanding where you're getting a 15 minnute difference each way. How do you access the tollway? I would think any time spent using means other than 45 to access the tollway would be a waste of time. Highway 3 is a nightmare of traffic lights. And if you're accessing the tollway from 45, then that puts Friendswood and Clearlake back on even footing.
From the neighborhoods on Clear Lake City Blvd @ Space Center (near the Randalls) you take Space Center to Crenshaw in Pasadena, to the tollway. It's 50MPH, 2 traffic lights through mostly pasture and then you're off to the races.

To get home to Clear Lake if you're coming down 45 you can exit the tollway to bypass the extreme traffic, go east on Genoa Red Bluff (last free exit) and south on Space Center. Been a big time saver for me, until construction is complete in a couple of years.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Houston, working in Webster but wife needs access to IAH-capture.jpg  

Old 04-10-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
From the neighborhoods on Clear Lake City Blvd @ Space Center (near the Randalls) you take Space Center to Crenshaw in Pasadena, to the tollway. It's 50MPH, 2 traffic lights through mostly pasture and then you're off to the races.

To get home to Clear Lake if you're coming down 45 you can exit the tollway to bypass the extreme traffic, go east on Genoa Red Bluff (last free exit) and south on Space Center. Been a big time saver for me, until construction is complete in a couple of years.
Thanks for the reply. That does sound like it could be a time saver.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:28 AM

8,893 posts, read 19,941,736 times
I agree with tstone. We had considered moving at one time to several areas. We considered moving to friendswood, league city and areas of clear lake. Drove during rush hour from all the homes we were interested in both to and from employer in houston. Friendswood was at least a 30 minute longer commute than clear lake. The only exception might be the fringes of friendswood in heritage park on the 2351 side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston