U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 AM

3 posts, read 15,730 times
Default ADHD Child - Good School District

I am tentatively planning to move to Texas (outside urban Houston) with a child who has ADHD, combined type. He is very bright and, so far, has managed to do well academically. I am looking for the right school district with a strong and "enlightened" special education approach. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 AM

8,907 posts, read 15,129,905 times
I would not choose a school district that is continuing to grow at a fast pace. They're focused on building new schools and funding them vs. putting money into special programs. There're threads on here talking about Autism and other learning problems. Read those and maybe get some tips from them.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 15,730 times
Thank you, that's a good observation. Any thoughts about Sugarland?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:18 AM

8,907 posts, read 15,129,905 times
I don't know much about Sugarland except its in Fort Bend ISD, which is good for the average/non-learning impaired student. I know that Fort Bend ISD is still growing, with burb building still going at a pretty good pace. The only "built-out" ISDs I know of in the Houston area are Houston ISD and Spring Branch ISD. Spring Branch being my choice of the two. However, I have friends that have kids in private and HISD is honoring their tax dollars paid by providing help programs to their child who is Dyslexic.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,818 times
Default ADHD School in Houston TX.

I have a link for a ADHD School in Houston TX. Here is the link and it is actually something to check because it is the best school for ADHD students.

[url=http://www.briarwoodschool.org/]Home Page[/url]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechie View Post
I am tentatively planning to move to Texas (outside urban Houston) with a child who has ADHD, combined type. He is very bright and, so far, has managed to do well academically. I am looking for the right school district with a strong and "enlightened" special education approach. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 PM

410 posts, read 1,051,720 times
Regardless of what school district you place your child in what is important is knowing the laws of Texas regarding special ed.
If you are having issues or just want to get information you can call TEA (Texas Education Agency) and ask to connect with someone familiar with special ed. They will help you.
Parents should not only know their rights but know the law as well.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 AM

3,955 posts, read 4,764,107 times
Avondale 3737 Omeara @ Stella Link
AV_Home

Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,751 times
We currently have our son in Focus Academy. We wanted a priviate school that focused on children in the spectrum, and was college prep. We tried other schools, and they were not a good fit. We are very happy with the results this year. I'm not sure this will help you, but it may give you another option.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 AM

10,167 posts, read 9,660,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechie View Post
How old is he? 6 or 15?

All you need to do is call them if they have a "talented and gifted" program.
If they do = good, if they don't = move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston