U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:31 PM

18 posts, read 91,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
The first link says their program is in The Woodlands. I think the other's in Fort Bend/Sugar Land.

A couple of dual language elementary schools in HISD are Helms and Wharton. Here are some others taken from Directory of Two-Way Bilingual Immersion Programs in the U.S.:

Cedar Brook Elementary: Dual Language/Dos Idiomas
Houston, TX
Language used: Spanish
Basic model: Minority language dominant
Phone: 713-365-5020

Garfield Elementary One World - One Child - Two Languages
Houston, TX
Basic model: Balanced
Phone: 713-740-0584

Helms Dual Language Program
Houston, TX
Phone: 713-867-5130

Herod -- Compartiendo Culturas/Sharing Cultures
Houston, TX
Phone: 713-778-3315

Laura Welch Bush Elementary One World Two languages
Houston, TX
Basic model: Balanced
Phone: 713-740-0928

Mark Twain Elementary "Two Worlds One Vision" Program
Houston, TX
Phone: 713-295-5230

Woodland Acres Elementary Dos Idiomas / One Child
Houston, TX
Basic model: Differentiated
Phone: 713-450-7314

Wow I have my homework cut out for me. It's funny that when I picked my kids up today the Director mentioned Dual Language immersion schools in Houston. She mentioned how plentiful they are and now I see! Thank you so much for all the information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:37 PM

Thanks Miss Clark. Yes, I would love for my kids to become fluently bilingual and hopefully learn even more languages. They have already learned so much in a short amount of time and my goal is to keep at it. My husband and I have always wanted our kids to learn a second language but it hit us when we traveled abroad last Spring and everyone knew English, but we didn't know their language AT All. I know some Spanish (very little actually) and could use some additional courses myself to keep up.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:40 PM

8,985 posts, read 15,724,483 times
Cedar Brook and Sherwood are Spring Branch ISD. Spring Branch ISD . Best thing is that they can go right into International studies at the Westchester Academy for High School in SBISD.
And yeah DFWGAL, I'd choose Memorial over The Woodlands any day of the week. Also, there are more places to practice your spanish in Houston.

Houstoner, I don't know much about Travis. Its kinda out of my radius. . Like any native Houstonian, 3 miles outside of your own neighborhood is another planet!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,601,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Houstoner, I don't know much about Travis. Its kinda out of my radius. . Like any native Houstonian, 3 miles outside of your own neighborhood is another planet!
I know the feeling, as TH Rogers is out of mine! I've heard lots of good things about it though. Travis is one of those sleeper, best kept secret, hidden gem kind of things. I didn't even know it was there (it's right off I-45 and N. Main, tucked into Woodland Heights) till I started researching magnets, and I used to be in that area fairly often before I had a kid!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGAL2 View Post
Wow I have my homework cut out for me. It's funny that when I picked my kids up today the Director mentioned Dual Language immersion schools in Houston. She mentioned how plentiful they are and now I see! Thank you so much for all the information!
Another elementary you might want to check into is Kolter Elementary. It's not a dual language school, but a foreign language magnet offering Spanish. Kolter, Exemplary School.77096.Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, French, (http://es.houstonisd.org/kolteres/ - broken link) Also, I mentioned Wharton up top. Here's the link: Wharton Elementary School - Call us at 713-535-3771

Old 01-18-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Do you have any other magnet schools in Houston on your list in that you would suggest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Yes - the elementary schools on the K Vanguard Magnet application are:
Askew
Carrillo
DeZavala
Herod
Oak Forest
Pleasantville
River Oaks
TH Rogers
Roosevelt
Travis
Windsor Village

I went through greatschools.net and looked at every school and the comments. From there, I chose (you have to give them 3 choices):
1. TH Rogers
2. Travis
3. Herod
Just wanted to clarify for DFWGal2, you only have 3 choices for the Vanguard (gifted & talented) magnets. You still have the option of regular magnet, and there is no limit to the number of programs you can apply to there. Twain (literature & extended-day), Roberts (fine arts), and West University (math and science) are some of the best of this lot, but there are quite a few others just as good, or almost as good. The first two also have primary IB programs. For dual/Spanish language magnets, Helms, Wharton, Kolter, and The Rice School/La Escuela Rice. Not sure if Twain's dual language program is open to magnet students, or if it's part of their IB offerings. Each of the magnet schools have different rules and function slightly differently with their various programs. I remember from touring Roberts that they offered Spanish, but not sure how integrated it is into their regular curriculum. Since they're IB, probably very. The best thing to do is to contact these schools or, better yet, schedule a tour to find out. HISD | Magnet English Home

Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 PM

Houstoner, thank you!Good information. I am so new to this that I was not separating Vanguard from regular magnet schools. So I am so glad you brought that to my attention.

When they test the children for these programs, how are they testing them? What should I expect.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 PM

My challenge is that I have a four year old son who is reading on a 1st or 2nd grade level and is currently doing double digit addition and writing very well. I am not sure if this is what most kindergarteners are doing in the schools??? If not, I don't want to place him in a kindergarten classroom where kids are learning the very basics (ex: what the letter A sounds like).

Also, he's picking up the spanish language so of course I don't want to lose that which is what started this whole thread.

Before learning that we were moving to Houston, I would keep him in the homeschooling co-op he is in AND the spanish school.

Now, I'm just not sure...

What are the magnet and vanguard schools testing for? I never thought about gifted and talented....I just thought he's caught on to what we've been teaching...
Any suggestions from experienced parents?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 AM

2,802 posts, read 5,716,056 times
Quote:
Houstoner, thank you!Good information. I am so new to this that I was not separating Vanguard from regular magnet schools. So I am so glad you brought that to my attention.

When they test the children for these programs, how are they testing them? What should I expect.
We are going down next week to get tested - my 14 yr old for sure; not sure if my 4 yr old will be tested, but hope so to avoid another trip down. Your 4 yr old is working beyond my 4 yr old. The good thing with a proper tag program is that the teachers are trained to keep your child challenged and not hold them back with the rest of the class.

It's worth considering one of the tag/vanguard schools and get into the second round.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
We are going down next week to get tested - my 14 yr old for sure; not sure if my 4 yr old will be tested, but hope so to avoid another trip down. Your 4 yr old is working beyond my 4 yr old. The good thing with a proper tag program is that the teachers are trained to keep your child challenged and not hold them back with the rest of the class.

It's worth considering one of the tag/vanguard schools and get into the second round.

I'm going to call Monday, but from what I've seen thus far it looks as if I need to have a physical Houston address before they'll consider the application. I'll call to make sure this is correct.

Pepper131, please keep me posted on how things go next week for your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston