Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:55 PM

49 posts, read 80,033 times

Advertisements

Guys,

Need your advise. I own a house in MN, which I gave on rent for 7 months last year. I live in TX.
Now, I was filling my taxes through Turbotax. Following are considered a contributing factor to any expenses on my house (which should be deductible):

- Property tax for 7 months when house was on rent.
- Mortgage interest for 7 months when house was on rent.
- Mortgage insurance for 7 months when house was on rent.
- Maintenance and mgmt. cost for 7 months when house was on rent.
- Depreciation of house for 7 months when house was on rent.

Considering above factors, I had a loss of $9000 (approx) in 2014. However, Turbotax is saying that I can not claim deduction on these losses because my house rental income is passive income.

This is disturbing to me as I am straight out loosing on deductions for property taxes and mortgage insurance I paid over 7 months.

I have not tried using H & R Block software online. May be that will be better.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 03:10 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,654 times
Passive losses can only be used to offset passive income. Your ability to deduct is limited. One exception is if you're a real estate professional.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:15 PM

391 posts, read 424,901 times
You'd think it would be much easier to google "passive income/loss" than to post about it on City Data ...

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-...-Rental-Losses

Old 04-10-2015, 04:46 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
So you can deduct passive income losses on a rental property if your spouse is a licensed real estate agent?

Old 04-10-2015, 05:59 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Passive losses on income property used to be a huge tax shelter that the IRS shut down as part of tax reform in the 80s.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:18 AM

299 posts, read 1,016,733 times
I owned a rental house for several years. It is correct that you can only deduct passive losses against passive income. But, the excess amount that cannot be deducted this year is carried forward every year until you either have positive rental income or sell the house. Including depreciation, I had a paper loss on my rent house for several years that just added up and carried forward. The year I sold the house it all became deductible against earned income and I ended up with a large refund.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:03 PM

98 posts, read 196,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuyer1786 View Post
Guys,

Need your advise. I own a house in MN, which I gave on rent for 7 months last year. I live in TX.
Now, I was filling my taxes through Turbotax. Following are considered a contributing factor to any expenses on my house (which should be deductible):

- Property tax for 7 months when house was on rent.
- Mortgage interest for 7 months when house was on rent.
- Mortgage insurance for 7 months when house was on rent.
- Maintenance and mgmt. cost for 7 months when house was on rent.
- Depreciation of house for 7 months when house was on rent.

Considering above factors, I had a loss of $9000 (approx) in 2014. However, Turbotax is saying that I can not claim deduction on these losses because my house rental income is passive income.

This is disturbing to me as I am straight out loosing on deductions for property taxes and mortgage insurance I paid over 7 months.

I have not tried using H & R Block software online. May be that will be better.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. Please advise.
I am an individual tax return expert and have been doing this for more than 10 years. I can confirm that you will not get any deduction for this passive loss in the current year.

Also you CANNOT take depreciation for a property that is being rented less than 12 months in total. So I am assuming that you started renting in June last year and continuing to rent this year as well. If not, ensure the software is not calculating depreciation.

You cannot offset passive losses against income from non-passive activities (i.e. active income such as wage/business income & portfolio income such as interest/dividends etc.). You can only offset it against income from another passive activity (ex. another rental property or income from a partnership). In a future year, if you have a gain, you can offset that gain with the carryforward loss and reflect only the net gain or carry forward the remaining loss in case all gain is being offset.

You will need to ensure that Form 8582 is being filed along with the return to track the losses that are accumulating every year and ensure that in the year of sale IRS allows you to offset all losses against nonpassive income.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:02 PM

Thank you bghouston! Your help is much appreciated.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:24 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
So you can deduct passive income losses on a rental property if your spouse is a licensed real estate agent?
I haven't seen this answered unless I missed it... being a real estate agent is not enough. You have to make your living from the activity in question for it to become active vs passive. Being an agent is not making a living from rental properties.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:42 PM

You have to spend more 750 hrs managing property and more than 50% of work related time on it. It is only after this you qualify for deduction on losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: