U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,470 times

Advertisements

If there was a choice between public vs private, and money was not that much of a concern, what would you choose. There are several great private schools in Houston. There are also several great Vanguard/GT schools in Houston HISD. We have a son in Carnegie Highschool, which is excellent, but he came from Pearland ISD and started at Carnegie in the 9th grade, it has been a difficult transition.

Now I have a young one entering kindergarten who has been accepted to Oak Forest and Travis, and also a great private school. Travis in the Heights is very close to where we live, and they have a very high population of GT students, over 50%. But my concern is that after the 5th grade, when its time for middle school, will my child get into a good Vanguard program. With private school, its K-12th, so this will never be an issue.

Then there is the idea of a public education vs private. I hear good and bad on both sides. Private has a classical education, public is more progressive. Private develops life long relationships, as classmates stay together throughout. However, social skills can impacted as children will be more sheltered.

We have to choose between the two and are torn, we just want the best education for our children...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 04:37 PM

958 posts, read 2,296,705 times
private if cost isn't an issue.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:44 PM
fnh

2,677 posts, read 3,143,422 times
If cost is truly no concern, then I too vote private. We ourselves have good public schools but send our kids to private school. However, doing so means we miss out on part of the community glue that attending a neighborhood school provides.

You do have desirable options for public schools and already have a child in the best public high school in Houston. Oak Forest and Travis are both great options but I would pick Travis if you already live near the school. (Also, Woodland Heights is possibly my favorite Houston neighborhood.) I wouldn't discount Hogg Middle after Travis, either. Hogg is now an IB World School and the Learn Local initiative is convincing affluent neighborhood families to enroll at their community school. In a few years Hogg may well become a very desirable school in the city.
https://www.facebook.com/LearnLocalatHogg
Grass-Roots Efforts Work to Improve Houston Schools | Houston Matters

Old 04-10-2015, 06:37 PM

6,678 posts, read 7,013,008 times
If it's between HISD vanguard and private, choose private. Try to get into a K-12 school so you don't have to deal with getting into a new school for middle or private schools.

It is such a pain to keep registering for the magnet/vanguard program in HISD.

Some of the vanguard are as good or better in certain areas than the private schools. Overall you can get a great education fom either one, but it's easier to do so in really good private schools.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:43 AM

399 posts, read 525,517 times
In general I would say private. Which private school are you considering?

Old 04-11-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
If it's between HISD vanguard and private, choose private. Try to get into a K-12 school so you don't have to deal with getting into a new school for middle or private schools.

It is such a pain to keep registering for the magnet/vanguard program in HISD.

Some of the vanguard are as good or better in certain areas than the private schools. Overall you can get a great education fom either one, but it's easier to do so in really good private schools.
Also, There is no point in doing private in separate schools for elementary, middle, and highschool. You might as well do vanguard and mix in private if necessary.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:04 AM

3 posts, read 5,470 times
We are considering St Thomas Episcopal which is on my way to work. I have had a few people refer me to St Thomas, but we do not have any experience with private. Money is not an issue, but we don't want to pass on public if that is the better option. My biggest concern is the transition after Travis if we choose that school, and then trying to get into a good middle school after. Having to go through the lottery process is kinda stressful. Our son that's in Carnegie was on the wait list at TH Rodgers entering kindergarten and got upto 1 spot from getting in but never did.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman707 View Post
We are considering St Thomas Episcopal which is on my way to work. I have had a few people refer me to St Thomas, but we do not have any experience with private. Money is not an issue, but we don't want to pass on public if that is the better option. My biggest concern is the transition after Travis if we choose that school, and then trying to get into a good middle school after. Having to go through the lottery process is kinda stressful. Our son that's in Carnegie was on the wait list at TH Rodgers entering kindergarten and got upto 1 spot from getting in but never did.
We were in the same situation and chose the vanguard magnet. We were very happy, but now I am very stressed about middle school. We will apply to various public magnets in HISD and private schools. I also looked into homeschooling. One will work out, but it is stressful already and we have over a year to think about it.

We want to either pay for a really good university or a mediocre one with setting up a business. That's our goal right now. That $100,000-200,000 that we would have used for private schools can have better uses.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:24 PM

959 posts, read 2,496,532 times
Even if your child gets into a private school, I believe you still have to reapply for MS and HS. But at St. Thomas Episcopal, it should not be a problem with good students.

There is no reason to be stressful about applying for schools. Just have plan B and C. Three years ago, we went to plan B when one of our child didn't get drafted to any of the magnet schools. It turns out to be the best experience at Johnston MS and got accepted at Lamar HS but we are sending him to a private school in the Fall.

I think it's best to have experience in both, public and private school so they won't get too sheltered in their preppy Cole Hahn class. I cringe when I see them and I came from a private school but we are more down-to-earth with Vans, cargo pants, and hoodies.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,310 times
my kids have been in private since kinder. My son is currently a 5th grader. We were accepted to Lanier Vanguard and Pin Oak Language for next year. We choose lanier. The problem with my school in particular is the academics aren't rigorous enough for him, we have no sort of G/T offerings.. many private do not. We also have far less electives, technology, extracurricular, etc. a in private. Last, he is extremely athletic and going to a more competitive public school is a big draw... we may apply to a larger private high schools when the time comes as I'm not very impressed with any HISD high school with the exception of HSPVA. I know he is excited to have a larger friend pool in middle school, which definitely is when a social life comes into play...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or