Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 08:20 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

I'm a cord cutter. That is, I don't get cable or satellite, anymore. I have digital antennas on my tv, so I get clear as a bell HD tv signals for about 20 stations, plus I have Roku that I use for streaming. It's wonderful!

I will be selling my house in Dallas soon, but I've been trying to figure out for months exactly where to move to. My first choice is the Houston area. More rain, better soil (for gardening), closer to Louisiana relatives, lots of green spaces/parks all over the place.

I was getting to narrowing down an area I like that has decent property taxes and lower HOAs: Spring-Humble-Conroe. But I can't get over the air transmissions from the Houston tv towers way up there, it seems. (There's a site where you plug in an address, and it'll tell you what over the air stations you should be able to get there.)

Does anyone know of an area around Houston that gets good over the air transmission from the tv towers? I'm thinking Sugarland and Pearland, but the property taxes and HOA fees there seem pretty stiff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:29 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Are you basing your move on TV antenna reception?

You do realize they do sell big antennas you can plug on the roof that will allow you to receive everything?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:30 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
Spring for a really good HDTV powered antenna and you'll be fine. We get pretty much everything in Sugar Land with one. If you're OK with slightly older house, I think you'll be OK with New Territory or First Colony property taxes, not bad for TX.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:43 AM

804 posts, read 1,075,819 times
yea you get everything in sugarland because all of the transmitters are south of Houston between 288 and 59. Next time your traveling the beltway look south and all those really tall antenna towers are for tv and radio. I live right at 288 beltway 8 and I can see them from my window so I basically have a straight shot without anything but air in the way.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Are you basing your move on TV antenna reception?

You do realize they do sell big antennas you can plug on the roof that will allow you to receive everything?
Oh, I'm counting those, too. Because of buildings and terrain, you apparently can't get reception from the tv towers, which are south of Houston, some 40 miles away. Even with a 30 foot tall outside satellite antenna.

And yes, OTA transmission is one of the factors for the move. Adding cable would add about $1,200 a year X 20 years = over $24,000, for something I don't want or need. And that doesn't count price increases.

These things add up.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Spring for a really good HDTV powered antenna and you'll be fine. We get pretty much everything in Sugar Land with one. If you're OK with slightly older house, I think you'll be OK with New Territory or First Colony property taxes, not bad for TX.
The towers are right there by Sugarland. All I would need is a little inside antenna for Sugarland, actually.

Even a 30 foot tall outside antenna wouldn't get me reception way north of Houston, according to that site, because of the buildings and terrain. The towers are about 40 miles due south (by Sugarland and Pearland). I'm so disappointed. I thought for sure Houston would have multiple antennas around the city limits, but it doesn't.

I'll check out New Territory and First Colony. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:15 PM

676 posts, read 931,941 times
All of the major TV and most of the major radio stations are broadcast from the Missouri City antenna farm. It is along the Fort Bend Tollway a few miles south of the Sam Houston Tollway and near Lake Olympia and Vicksburg. It is pretty much the same setup as Cedar Hill up there in DFW. Like Cedar Hill, you can see them from miles away and see the lights flashing at night. Sugar Land, Richmond, Pearland, and Southwest Houston will have the best reception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston