U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 11:17 PM

53 posts, read 86,640 times

Advertisements

okay I will look into those areas as well. Would it be possible to provide zip codes so I can search more efficiently when looking for homes?

I cannot express how much this input means to me. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 11:42 PM

6,643 posts, read 6,712,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
First of all Houston is a salad bowl. It used to be a melting pot in 1985 but 30 years later this no longer holds true.

Next If your women wear a hijab anywhere around here you both will get stares because inevitably someone will wonder if you just beat your wife behind the halal house. And rightly so.

And a big LOL to the Meyerland suggestion, considering that is the Houston Jew neighborhood. I never met a devout Muslim that had one positive thing to say about Jews. And I am going to stop now because I don't want to get sued back to the ghetto I grew up in.
We have Muslim families in Meyerland, and they fit in very well.

Muslims live throughout the city and into the suburbs. Pretty widespread.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:12 AM

55 posts, read 45,293 times
SW is around 59 and beltway. Try 77099 or 77074

Old 04-19-2015, 01:57 AM

4,338 posts, read 6,741,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Hello all, I am looking to move to Houston and I wanted to know which areas have greatest Muslim community, where women can wear hijab without getting stares. I know Houston is a melting pot, I just want to know which areas have the greatest Muslim populations either within the city or preferably in the suburbs right outside the city. I see Houston is third in the country in terms of how many Mosques, but I know some areas will be more prominent in Muslim populations than others. Just wanted to know if anyone has personal experience and can help me pinpoint some areas? Thank you.
Sugar Land, Katy, Richmond.

You should have no issues with Hijab and even if they do stare. Who cares! Just be confident!

Also, check out this website:

https://www.isgh.org/

Old 04-19-2015, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
First of all Houston is a salad bowl. It used to be a melting pot in 1985 but 30 years later this no longer holds true.

Next If your women wear a hijab anywhere around here you both will get stares because inevitably someone will wonder if you just beat your wife behind the halal house. And rightly so.

And a big LOL to the Meyerland suggestion, considering that is the Houston Jew neighborhood. I never met a devout Muslim that had one positive thing to say about Jews. And I am going to stop now because I don't want to get sued back to the ghetto I grew up in.
Houston is the biggest melting pot now! We beat NYC too! Fort Bend county is also the most diverse county in USA!

Old 04-19-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
My coworkers generally live in the SW side, like Suglarland area, and off Westpark Tollway outside the Sam Houston Tollway. I'm sure there are other areas, but these stick out to me. I would suggest that where a concentration of mosques are, that's a good place to start.
Huge difference between SW side like Sugarland area.

When you enter SL compare to SW Houston which is Alief as well, it is whole new world out there!

SW Houston 'ghetto'. SL is a nationwide reputable suburb with well educated, high income and humble folks.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Thank you for those with replies, it is great to see many mosques around the area. I had been checking out areas in and around those areas as well. I Appreciate any input from personal experiences too. This means a lot to me.

And bike4life your comment about open-carry while wearing a hijab -- LOL actually pretty funny.
Maryam Masjid is very reputable in Sugar Land.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
That's total bull****, I see muslim women with hijab all the time, and most people are not worried about them. Hell one is a lawyer at the firm I work at. As far as the OP, muslims seem to live all over the Houston area, probably a lot in the SW Houston and in Sugar Land.
I agree. I have a few friends that wear Hijab. Sometimes they mistake them for a Nun lol.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
The Ghandi district around Hillcroft and 59 is where there is a huge concentration of Middle Eastern retail and restaurants.
Yeah and South Asian too. That is the spot to eat, hangout and shop. NOT a place to live though.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That's a Hindu Mosque not a Muslim one.

We do have Muslims around, but there are many more Hindus in Pearland than there are Muslims.
Lol. There is no such thing as a Hindu Mosque. You mean temple right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston