Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:30 AM
bu2

23,873 posts, read 14,658,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Once HISD configures the West U zone so schools aren't so overcrowded, it should adjust the Pershing MS zone so several of the low income apartments on the southern end are rezoned to Dowling and/or Cullen. That way Pershing won't be so overcrowded.

If need be HISD should open a new middle school in the Hiram Clarke area for relief purposes.
Don't they already have a charter down there? I think that has drained some students from Dowling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:10 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,016,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Don't they already have a charter down there? I think that has drained some students from Dowling.
An HISD-affiliated charter or a state charter?

They did open Billy Regan K-8, but they actually had to reduce its attendance zone because there were so many students there. I think they should open another middle school in Hiram Clarke and turn Billy Regan into a K-5. Then some of the apartments south of 610 and east of Stella Link can be rezoned from Pershing to Dowling or a new middle school.

They could also expand the zone of Attucks Middle School in Sunnyside so it covers some territory formerly zoned to Dowling Middle School.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:25 AM
bu2

Quote:
An HISD-affiliated charter or a state charter?

They did open Billy Regan K-8, but they actually had to reduce its attendance zone because there were so many students there. I think they should open another middle school in Hiram Clarke and turn Billy Regan into a K-5. Then some of the apartments south of 610 and east of Stella Link can be rezoned from Pershing to Dowling or a new middle school.

They could also expand the zone of Attucks Middle School in Sunnyside so it covers some territory formerly zoned to Dowling Middle School.
Billy Regan is what I was thinking of.

I think it got all those students trying to escape Dowling.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:41 AM

4,874 posts, read 10,016,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Billy Regan is what I was thinking of.

I think it got all those students trying to escape Dowling.
Regan is a regular HISD school with an attendance boundary. See http://www.houstonisd.org/site/handl...%202014-15.pdf

Old 05-15-2015, 04:54 PM
bu2

Quote:
Regan is a regular HISD school with an attendance boundary. See http://www.houstonisd.org/site/handl...%202014-15.pdf
The neighborhood was trying to escape Dowling and got the K-8 instead of just an elementary school.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:42 AM

57 posts, read 125,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
Does anyone know the outcome of this meeting? I've done some searching on-line, but I can't find the results of the vote. (The minutes for that meeting aren't posted yet.)

Old 05-17-2015, 08:36 AM

914 posts, read 1,817,017 times
I think they kicked the can down the road. Apparently the only zones that were changed were those around Barbara Bush Elementary on the West Side. The community favored those changes. The West U Elementary/Rice School and Sinclair/Love Elementary changes in the Heights/Garden Oaks area drew heated community opposition.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
I think they kicked the can down the road. Apparently the only zones that were changed were those around Barbara Bush Elementary on the West Side. The community favored those changes. The West U Elementary/Rice School and Sinclair/Love Elementary changes in the Heights/Garden Oaks area drew heated community opposition.
Yay! Thanks for the update.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:41 PM

Apparently this is not a dead issue after all. Despite having a huge surge of parent opposition, and having the board vote down the measure 8-1 in May, Roberts and West U (and maybe Twain and/or Poe) received a memo last week that they need to cut their waivers in half, and there are now wait lists for all of the grades at those schools, and new students can't be enrolled! What the heck? What is the point of the board voting against this, if HISD is going to put this into effect anyway?

This is so frustrating and hard!

Old 06-17-2015, 07:08 PM

914 posts, read 1,817,017 times
This is on the school web site. http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/T...%20English.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: