U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,972 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

I have a 5 year old that has been in the HISD in the past 1.5 yrs. During this period, I realized that my son is not learning anything. All that he has learned was the things we taught him at home.

He is special need, diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. He is fully functional (walks, talks, etc...), but is developmentally delayed. He has a maturity of a 2 years old since he is not potty trained (not yet... but getting there), he has difficulties holding a crayon and needs some help to scoop the food by himself (but can bring the food to his mouth and chew it). He is also not able to make full sentences, but understands short and simple commands. He is not able to keep up with a conversation or tell things that happened to him.
But, he is able to read and spell words, knows his numbers (up to 100), shapes, colors, patterning, etc...
Basically, he is all over the place with his development. His maturity is of a 2 year old, but he has some skills of a 5 year old (like the numbers, reading, patterning, etc...).

I have been very frustrated with the HISD public system and I am looking for a school... public or private to help him develop to his full potential or at least help him catch up.

I now live in the medical center area, but I am willing to move to other Houston areas (Sugarland, pearland, woodlands, Cypress, humble... etc...). Provided that I can find a good school for my son.

Does anyone know any school or school district near or in the Houston area that gives good support to special needs?

I appreciate any help I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:22 PM

6,460 posts, read 6,504,768 times
I have heard excellent things about the Monarch School.

Contact Us | Monarch School

Old 04-23-2015, 07:40 PM

16,148 posts, read 17,966,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I have heard excellent things about the Monarch School.

Contact Us | Monarch School
It is an excellent school, but the tuition is quite hefty. It depends on the age of the child and the particular program that he or she fits.

Programs and Tuition | Monarch School

Old 04-25-2015, 01:53 PM

399 posts, read 481,263 times

Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,037,966 times
Truthfully the public school system is so flawed for the special needs. There's no cap on enrollment so your child could be in a class of 12. Other states have a cap but I've never found any info on Texas or specific districts.

Do you really think despite being in Katy, Cyfair, Spring Branch, etc that they're truly getting what they need? Imagine the other 11 having severe behavior issues and developmental delays greater than your child.

One teacher, maybe 3 aids isn't enough for 12 with high needs. All need a 1:1 really. If you even have a smattering of good insurance buckle down and put them in a special school especially in elementary and pay the difference then phase that out to public when they get older.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,972 times
Thanks... We are looking into the Monarch School. But, I am not sure they will accept him, it seems that there are a lot of applicants and their application process is long. We just did the interview with the admission director.

I am just afraid that they might not accept him. I also checked the Joy school, Parish school, Briarswood, and the Arbor school.
The Joy school and Parish are for kids that might be a little delayed (maybe 1 yr delayed), but no more than that. Since my son is about 3 yrs delayed, it will not work for him.
Briarswood (tuttle school), seems to be much more focused in life skills rather than in the actual curriculum. The Arbor school seems to be a better fit for kids that have Cerebral Palsy but are much more severe than my little one.
So, the main question is whether there would be another school or a public school that would work for special needs, in case Monarch does not work.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2015, 02:41 PM

16,148 posts, read 17,966,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrigiro View Post
Thanks... We are looking into the Monarch School. But, I am not sure they will accept him, it seems that there are a lot of applicants and their application process is long. We just did the interview with the admission director.

I am just afraid that they might not accept him. I also checked the Joy school, Parish school, Briarswood, and the Arbor school.
The Joy school and Parish are for kids that might be a little delayed (maybe 1 yr delayed), but no more than that. Since my son is about 3 yrs delayed, it will not work for him.
Briarswood (tuttle school), seems to be much more focused in life skills rather than in the actual curriculum. The Arbor school seems to be a better fit for kids that have Cerebral Palsy but are much more severe than my little one.
So, the main question is whether there would be another school or a public school that would work for special needs, in case Monarch does not work.

Thanks
Some public schools might work for him, but you would need to live in the district. My grandson is 11 now. He began PPCD at 5.5 in Pearland and went into mainstream classes with pull outs to a resource room in k, 1st and end grade. In 3rd and 4th grade, the services were push in rather than pull out. He has thrived with this, but he has no real behavioral issues. He has always been a relatively compliant child in school. He is still academically behind because he is hyperlexic and while he reads on level or higher, he doesn't comprehend what he reads. He has accommodations for testing, but still had to take the STAAR tests (and he did not do well). This is his last year of elementary and he will be in the middle school next year. We are worried, but we have a meeting with the councilor on Friday and hope to find out how they will handle him. I know they have a peer buddy system and he does have friends from his elementary who will also be there and we are going to suggest a couple of them as his buddies.

You might look into The Westview School. Not sure if that would fit him. If he really needs a one on one - you might try an ABA day center. Behavior TLC is good. The program would be individualized for him in and ABA center, but he would not have any typical peers as models for him. It is pretty expensive, but insurance may pay. I am not sure what ages the day program serves.

Day Program - Behavior TLC - Houston | Behavior TLC

Quote:
The Day Program schedule imitates a typical classroom including calendar time, art, and group games daily
KATY isd has a decent reputation for special needs, but there are some elementary schools to avoid there from what I have heard.

I notice that you say he has cerebral palsy. Does he also have an autism dx? If not, the schools you mentioned might not work for him. My grandson is autistic and was dxed at 18 months.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:06 PM

69 posts, read 193,265 times
You may also want to look at The School for Young Children in Montrose. It is part of the Special Schools Coalition in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or