Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,526 times

Advertisements

Desperately hoping there is at least one person who has been in this situation and can compare. Are they comparable? One far better than the other? We are relocating for my husbands job and I am terrified!

How do Houstons medical assistance funded services compare to those of Pittsburgh? My son is 3, so I am not yet at the point of worrying about school districts and such. We are currently receiving speech, Ot, Pt, and wraparound services which is essentially an in home aide who provides behavioral therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 07:39 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh2Hou View Post
Desperately hoping there is at least one person who has been in this situation and can compare. Are they comparable? One far better than the other? We are relocating for my husbands job and I am terrified!

How do Houstons medical assistance funded services compare to those of Pittsburgh? My son is 3, so I am not yet at the point of worrying about school districts and such. We are currently receiving speech, Ot, Pt, and wraparound services which is essentially an in home aide who provides behavioral therapy.
You get all this free with government assistance??

Old 04-26-2015, 10:23 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh2Hou View Post

Pennsylvania is one of the best states for autism services. Texas is one of the worst although it depends on the level of functioning, your company insurance and too many other things.

http://www.autismhandbook.org/index....-_Pennsylvania
Support for Parents of Autistic Children | Autism Support PA | Providing Autism Support in Pennsylvania

For adults with autism in Pennsylvania
Keystone Human Services - Comprehensive community based intellectual disabilities services and mental health, autism and early intervention services

Texas has waivers, but they make you jump through all kinds of hoops and the funding is much worse.

FEAT-Houston » General Texas Medicaid Waiver Information

You may have to pay out of pocket for a lot of services here unless your company covers autism which they do not have to do if they are self-funded.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
You get all this free with government assistance??
In Pennsylvania and a few other states there is a lot of assistance. Here in Texas not so much.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
As it has been said, texas is a great state for a lot of things; however, it is a very bad state to be poor in.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:42 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
The services are not necessarily provided due to OP being low income. How many companies relocate their low paid staff across the country for example?

I had my youngest daughter get in-home Speech Therapy for about 6 months here in CO for "free" provided by a state supported group. It was free for anyone, regardless of income level (even very high income levels), until the child was age 3. It was utilized by people from all socio-economic groups and it was a top notch service.

I use the parenthesis describing it as "free" because, of course, nothing is free. We all pay for it as taxpayers.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:17 PM

Early Intervention is a federal program administered by each state. From 0 to 3, every child is eligible. Free to everyone in some states, sliding scale in others, btw. Illinois has a sliding scale. Lousiana's was free. Yes, this is paid for by taxes, but the idea is that early intervention may mean a child who can function in a real job as an adult.

Note for autism: ABA is intensive one on one therapy and it is very expensive. You can be quite well-off, but not be able to afford the entire cost of such therapies or of a special school like the Monarch School ($30,000 a year, I think). When you think about having a child with these kinds of special needs, think many thousands of dollars for each year.

Cost of ABA Therapy - Special Learning Article
I Love ABA!: Paying For ABA
https://gooagoo.wordpress.com/aba-therapy/

Old 04-26-2015, 03:28 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
As it has been said, texas is a great state for a lot of things; however, it is a very bad state to be poor in.
I agree that Texas is a terrible state to be poor in. This is something completely different. If you have a child with true special needs, then private special needs schools are so expensive that you have to be wealthy, not just well off, but make in top 1% household income to afford to self fund special needs treatments and schools.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:33 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
At 3 my son aged out of ECI and we moved into the public school system. They provide once a week speech therapy, and he attends a program at school for 3 hours a day that is part socialization, part behavioral, to get him ready to be mainstreamed for kindergarten. Our school district provides different level programs for various spectrum levels. My son doesn't need any further therapy beyond that, friends with kids who do need more go through their employers health insurance to get private therapy.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
At 3 my son aged out of ECI and we moved into the public school system. They provide once a week speech therapy, and he attends a program at school for 3 hours a day that is part socialization, part behavioral, to get him ready to be mainstreamed for kindergarten. Our school district provides different level programs for various spectrum levels. My son doesn't need any further therapy beyond that, friends with kids who do need more go through their employers health insurance to get private therapy.
If your child can manage in mainstream classrooms, that works. My grandson has managed in our school since Kindergarten as well. Special needs that are more severe, however, can be a problem. Classes in the schools vary greatly in terms of managing these kids.

Also, while he's young, his needs may seem less pronounced. Kids with autism *grow into* their autism as they age because the social demands become greater so their differences stand out more.

Many employers in Texas do NOT provide the extra therapies that kids with autism need unless they have to - so if they are self-funded, they stop funding ABA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston