Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:00 PM

309 posts, read 422,200 times

Advertisements

After listening to couple of podcasts related to hunting, I've been wanting to see what that experience is like.
I did a quick google search and turns out there are couple of ranches just a few hours outside of houston that offer guided hunts (mostly for hogs or deer) for beginners. Has anyone tried these type of guided hunts from Houston?

I am really a newbie, I've never held a gun in my life so i'm wondering what the different things I need to do are to prepare myself before I can go on one of these hunting trips. Would appreciate any tips or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 06:02 AM

[Mod cut: orphaned]

The idea of being responsible for the meat you eat is what intrigues me. I want to see what that feels like atleast once. I am not into trophy hunting and am not into killing animals just for the sake of it, I feel that's what you are really asking.

As far as kinds of animals, I would think that since I;m in Texas, the easiest one to hunt would be the wild hog since Texas is, as far as I can understand, over populated with those.

Last edited by elnina; 04-27-2015 at 05:01 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 06:07 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,752,690 times
You can hunt hog, deer, dove, quail, etc all within an hour of houston.

Depending on your age you might need to take a hunter safety education course before you can get a hunting license. Since you've never used a hunting rifle I would suggest it and take some time to learn how to shoot. Check for local guns ranges that you might be able to spend some time behind a rifle of a decent caliber so that you can get a feel for the gun. Learn how it works, how to clean it, and practice practice practice.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
You can hunt hog, deer, dove, quail, etc all within an hour of houston.

Depending on your age you might need to take a hunter safety education course before you can get a hunting license. Since you've never used a hunting rifle I would suggest it and take some time to learn how to shoot. Check for local guns ranges that you might be able to spend some time behind a rifle of a decent caliber so that you can get a feel for the gun. Learn how it works, how to clean it, and practice practice practice.
Basic first steps is what I was looking for. Thanks for that!

Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,752,690 times
No problem. If you need anymore help feel free to send me a pm with your number and I will be more than happy to discuss further. I'm a life long hunter and hunt every year that I can.

Usually a local gun shop has classes that you can take on rifles and pistols to both instruct you on use and proper handling of firearms. The more proficient you are with your weapon the more likely you are to bag game. Spend time reading the Texas Parks and Wildlife site for information on hunting as well as bag limits and the do's and don'ts with regards the sport.

Hunting can turn into an obsession that requires both patience and skill. One thing to learn is ignorance is no excuse for the laws.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 PM

33 posts, read 49,128 times
Pretty silly my reply was deleted by a mod. Preaching was not my intent, just stating there is a lot of preparation required before hunting, and one must educate themselves before it's time to pull the trigger. And understanding the purpose is the first base to cover. (Sorry for asking OP)

Old 04-28-2015, 12:12 AM

61,326 posts, read 86,235,551 times
Your post was off topic, and not helpful to OP. He didn't ask to start a moral debate.
Feel free to start your own thread in Gun and Hunting Forum, where you can discuss animal ethics and morality of hunting.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:28 AM

371 posts, read 540,003 times
One of my coworkers knows Randy from Langley Ranch in Centerville, TX. Says he's a really nice guy and his full time occupation is a hunting guide. I looked them up and sounds like it is a great place to get your feet wet the proper way without spending a fortune.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
One of my coworkers knows Randy from Langley Ranch in Centerville, TX. Says he's a really nice guy and his full time occupation is a hunting guide. I looked them up and sounds like it is a great place to get your feet wet the proper way without spending a fortune.
Thanks, I'd come across the website as well and it seemed like a very reasonable deal, but it's always good to get a first hand recommendation.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
No problem. If you need anymore help feel free to send me a pm with your number and I will be more than happy to discuss further. I'm a life long hunter and hunt every year that I can.

Usually a local gun shop has classes that you can take on rifles and pistols to both instruct you on use and proper handling of firearms. The more proficient you are with your weapon the more likely you are to bag game. Spend time reading the Texas Parks and Wildlife site for information on hunting as well as bag limits and the do's and don'ts with regards the sport.

Hunting can turn into an obsession that requires both patience and skill. One thing to learn is ignorance is no excuse for the laws.
Thanks for the info. I will get started with some of the basics like you mentioned and then will contact you to get more guidance. Thanks again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston