Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I don't know if it's all about size, because I hear Texans in other cities (especially Austin, where I used to live) speak badly of Houston a lot. But, usually the reasoning is not very compelling (i.e. Houston's "too hot" as if the rest of Texas isn't, or the freeways are ugly.)

I agree! Everyone I've met here who is from CA has been very nice and positive, even refreshing! Seems like on City-Data anyway, many of the ones who come wanting something unrealistic end up in Austin, and then complaining. I haven't run into any like that in the Houston metro... yet.
This is true; people will say Houston sucks because:

1. It's too hot
2. It's too flat
3. It has too many freeways

I once confronted someone about this and asked them are those the only reasons you hate Houston; and their response was "No, there are other reasons". I asked what are the other reasons and they couldn't think of any lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 02:17 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Many states get irritated at Californians who move in because the have a tendency to complain that the location isnt California. They move away because they cant find a good job, and cost of living is high.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:20 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Many states get irritated at Californians who move in because the have a tendency to complain that the location isnt California. They move away because they cant find a good job, and cost of living is high.
Exactly. It's like going to someone's house and telling them that your house is nicer. See how fast they show you the door!

Old 04-10-2010, 06:56 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Exactly. It's like going to someone's house and telling them that your house is nicer. See how fast they show you the door!
Uuuuuhhhhh-greed. I'll cut them some slack and say that it takes a little getting used to (anybody needs some adjustment time when they move to a new city/region/state/etc.) but I think there's a line b/t adjusting to a new environment and being unhappy for the sake of it and not being willing to try to appreciate your new environment for it's good characteristics.

I can only feel sorry/be understanding up to a certain point.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Uuuuuhhhhh-greed. I'll cut them some slack and say that it takes a little getting used to (anybody needs some adjustment time when they move to a new city/region/state/etc.) but I think there's a line b/t adjusting to a new environment and being unhappy for the sake of it and not being willing to try to appreciate your new environment for it's good characteristics.

I can only feel sorry/be understanding up to a certain point.
As an ex-Californian, that is all very true. Houston is not California & never will be - end of story. I get really tired of hearing the complaints and I miss CA.

I will still whine about there not being a Trader Joe's (which, contrary to popular belief, is not a whine from just ex-Californians) but we have found a lot to like about our new hometown and even I get defensive feelings when I hear the put-downs on Houston by people who've never really given it a fair shake.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
As an ex-Californian, that is all very true. Houston is not California & never will be - end of story. I get really tired of hearing the complaints and I miss CA.

I will still whine about there not being a Trader Joe's (which, contrary to popular belief, is not a whine from just ex-Californians) but we have found a lot to like about our new hometown and even I get defensive feelings when I hear the put-downs on Houston by people who've never really given it a fair shake.
Being from Chicago, I have never understood how Trader Joe's is much different than Central Market.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:21 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Being from Chicago, I have never understood how Trader Joe's is much different than Central Market.
I haven't been to an HEB Central Market in ages so I couldn't say but isn't there only 1 location in Houston? There were several TJ locations in San Diego and then in the surrounding areas (La Mesa, La Jolla, Encinitas, Carlsbad, etc...). Same thing with Phoenix & its surrounding 'burbs. For convenience alone, I miss TJ's. Central Market isn't at all convenient from where I've lived so far in The Woodlands and Missouri City.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,634 times
This is my first time seeing this thread. I was really surprised by the things I have been hearing from people in regards to Californians. Now that I think about it most of my friends are from Cali. They are all pretty laid back and cool people. I have never heard them complain once about Houston. Lol! That's actually a lie. One of my friends couldn't believe how hot it got here. He was sweating sooo hard, haha. I told him to sit his a$$ down. But he still loves Houston. He is happy about actually being able to buy a pretty nice home. Something that in Cali would have been something to think about doing for a lot longer.

I must say that I have been really attracted to women from California, and that's without even knowing they were from there. They are so laid back and cool, it's hard to explain(not all of them of course). Louisiana women have a laid back attitude that is similar but different in style.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
This is my first time seeing this thread. I was really surprised by the things I have been hearing from people in regards to Californians. Now that I think about it most of my friends are from Cali. They are all pretty laid back and cool people. I have never heard them complain once about Houston. Lol! That's actually a lie. One of my friends couldn't believe how hot it got here. He was sweating sooo hard, haha. I told him to sit his a$$ down. But he still loves Houston. He is happy about actually being able to buy a pretty nice home. Something that in Cali would have been something to think about doing for a lot longer.

I must say that I have been really attracted to women from California, and that's without even knowing they were from there. They are so laid back and cool, it's hard to explain(not all of them of course). Louisiana women have a laid back attitude that is similar but different in style.
Ive noticed a difference between Californians who are happy here vs. those who arent. The ones who tend to be very unhappy here:

1) Expect Texas to be similar or just like California (at least on a subconcious level)
2) Expect people in Texas to think the same way they do

Those from California who like it here expect Texas to be Texas.

If you keep things into perspective you can even avoid culture shock.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:54 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Ive noticed a difference between Californians who are happy here vs. those who arent. The ones who tend to be very unhappy here:

1) Expect Texas to be similar or just like California (at least on a subconcious level)
2) Expect people in Texas to think the same way they do

Those from California who like it here expect Texas to be Texas.

If you keep things into perspective you can even avoid culture shock.
These are the people I know. They came here for a reason, what ever it may be. And they appreciate it for what it is. But most of them never lived to much of a pampered life. I have noticed that is one of the differences between most people. The way you grow up, and the values you are taught make you who you are. Which is why I laugh at so many on this forum. They are who you think they are....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston