Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:26 AM

182 posts, read 350,287 times

Advertisements

Lived there for over a decade. Still alive! Just stay off the streets at night and live somewhere with good work and living security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 11:58 AM

280 posts, read 383,497 times
you can also look at the West U/Rice Village area or upper Kirby. Easy access to Gulfton for work.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:39 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
I saw "Gulfton" in the original post & immediately thought of the old Colonial Apt. TV ads. (lived in Htown from 69-95)

Here's some info/history on the area:

The Changing Face of Houston - Gulfton | Houston Press

That commercial was classic early 80s Houston (during the first oil boom).

Last edited by hound 109; 05-21-2015 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 02:51 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
I have been through Bellaire its certainly not what I could call a upper middle class place. Saw plenty of homeless people and others that look shady. Bellaire high school isn't exactly rated highly either which will give you a good indication of how the area really is.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:30 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
I have been through Bellaire its certainly not what I could call a upper middle class place. Saw plenty of homeless people and others that look shady. Bellaire high school isn't exactly rated highly either which will give you a good indication of how the area really is.
LOL this has to be sarcasm. I think you're confusing bellaire the street for bellaire the neighborhood. Two very different things. Since the cheapest dump in the city of bellaire sells for 400k, I think it's safe to say it very much is an upper class area.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:34 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
I would comment but we're not allowed to say the "T" word apparently. In the last week I've read "contributors" on here say that galleria area is dangerous, sugar land is full of thugs, and bellaire is full of homeless and shady people.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:25 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I would comment but we're not allowed to say the "T" word apparently. In the last week I've read "contributors" on here say that galleria area is dangerous, sugar land is full of thugs, and bellaire is full of homeless and shady people.
Ok, I don't get this. 14bricks is a successful,conservative,black male. He's been kicked suddenly, after voicing his open , and probably truthful options on a thread about private school thread...that was pretty honest, open and fair. What gives?

Around around since 2010!

Smh.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
LOL don't listen to these people, it really isn't that bad of an area day or night. Just stay out of the apartment complexes and you should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas View Post
THIS. Otherwise I should have been dead years ago. I am continually surprised how sheltered some of the posters on here are.
These^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDA View Post
Lived there for over a decade. Still alive! Just stay off the streets at night and live somewhere with good work and living security.
This too, i'm a middle class single female and lived in the Gulfton Ghetto for 8 years. It's not that bad. I lived in a secure apt. complex and would shop at the local fruteria's, restaurants and such. Would even wash my car on Saturday mornings at the local car wash. Just be aware of your surroundings, keep your vehicle locked, etc.....just like you would do anywhere else.

A friend of mine lives in Oak Forest and has had her home broken into, truck stolen from in front of her house and there are garage robberies there on the regular, so don't let the $$$ lull you into a false sense of security

Don't base your job status on what you read on here......come, make your $$ and find out for yourself. Be aware and keep yourself and your valuables secure at all times no matter where you are....you should be fine.

They have some cute apartments over in the Galleria area, and there are loads of restaurants, stores and such on Westheimer....Memorial Park is a few minute drive from that area as well...

Old 05-22-2015, 12:27 AM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times
Hysterical people from unknown parts of town are exaggerating about Gulfton. They don't like immigrants or illegals in nearby apartments. But if your work location is on or nearby major streets like Bissonnet, Bellaire Blvd, Chiminey Rock, S. Rice, or Hillcroft, etc., you'll be fine working there. I drive through Gulfton without thinking about it and even repeatedly visited at several business establishments in the area. They have a lot of commercial properties from warehouses to Class A office buildings but many of them are mechanic shops, industrial supplies, rental equipment stores, pawn shops, etc. One of my favorite stores, Micro Center, just moved into Gulfton. There is Bayland baseball park right next to it and I've been there a few times for game nights. The roads look clean and safe to me.

It's really not enough to call it a ghetto. If you want to find a real ghetto, I should start a new thread and identify them. I've been to other parts of town that are much more of a concern.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:03 AM

218 posts, read 220,533 times
I am an educated professional so I can afford another area, but I choose to live in Gulfton because I love the people, restaurants, and location. I agree that its not for everyone and I am a single male in my 30's so I understand that my situation is a bit different from yours, but the neighborhood is not as bad as some people have made it seem. You will be fine working there. Maybe you could eat at different places during lunch and get so see the real people there. The vast majority of the people living there are honest and hardworking. They just want a better life for themselves and their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston