Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
I am an educated professional so I can afford another area, but I choose to live in Gulfton because I love the people, restaurants, and location. I agree that its not for everyone and I am a single male in my 30's so I understand that my situation is a bit different from yours, but the neighborhood is not as bad as some people have made it seem. You will be fine working there. Maybe you could eat at different places during lunch and get so see the real people there. The vast majority of the people living there are honest and hardworking. They just want a better life for themselves and their children.
**said in a Homer Simpson voice*** mmmmm......VN21

LOL I live off of that pho during the cooler months, very reasonable and consistent quality food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:19 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
I have lived in Houston nearly all of my life and I would not be reluctant to work in the Gulfton area (in an office-based professional setting) or go to any restaurant there, regardless of whether it was day or night.

That being said, I would not want to live in the Gulfton area. It is very low income, high density, and to be completely comfortable there, you probably need to speak pretty good Spanish. Fortunately, there is no need, as there are a number of more upscale neighborhoods very close by, such as the Galleria, Bellaire, and whatever that neighborhood is on the other side of 610 straight to the East.

Hispanic immigrants, even illegal immigrants, are not any more violent than established lower income Caucasian populations in this country. The people in these neighborhoods are just trying to survive and provide for their families. They are almost without exception very nice.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:33 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
**said in a Homer Simpson voice*** mmmmm......VN21

LOL I live off of that pho during the cooler months, very reasonable and consistent quality food
They have the best Pho. I've picked up dinner there many a night, without incident.

The problem with Gulfton is that they over built cheap apartments for singles in the late seventies. Then when the bust happened, the singles left and families moved into the tiny apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston