Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:18 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,714 times

Advertisements

I have lived in So. Fl and I gotta say that Houston's flooding problem is worse. Florida has retention ponds and canals everywhere..... but yet their mosquito problem isn't as bad as Houston's (but that's for a discussion in another thread).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:24 AM

47 posts, read 53,012 times
All you Floridians making comments about Houston's drainage system, do me a favor. Find one, just one documented case in Florida's recent history where 10+ inches of rain happened in ~6-8 hours and a massive flood didn't immediately follow. I see plenty of news articles about severe flooding following such events in various parts of Florida (Palm Beach, Miami Beach) but if it happens in Texas it's obviously because we don't spend enough on infrastructure or some other excuse.

Some evidence would be nice - otherwise it just sounds like BS piling on to me.

Though Houston doesn't get them EVERY day, the city deals with most torrential thunderstorms just fine. I do agree more retention would help, but at the end of the day the city is flat and essentially at sea level, the clays are not particularly permeable, and there is a lot of concrete. Those three factors will always cause the area to flood more quickly than most other areas

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Florida has the same soil type as southeast Texas either. Apples and oranges.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:49 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Florida does flood and would with the same amount of rainfall. Miami floods now without any rain. Any city floods with 8-10 inches of rain in a few hours.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Tool flat. Tool low.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Difference is flooding in South Florida doesn't last for days or damage homes! That only happens in hurricanes. South Florida has a excellent system of canals to drain off the daily torrential thunderstorms during the summer. Houston doesn't and I would say that has more to do with your conservative State Government not wanting to "waste" money on infrastructure spending.
11 inches Monday evening and early Tuesday morning, whose homes were flooded? By afternoon it was business as usual for most people.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:12 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
I see a lot of "Florida" does this or that. Comparing an entire state to a city (Houston), is comparing "apples to oranges". Even comparing state to state, there's a big difference. In case you didn't notice, Florida is mostly surrounded by water, TX is bordered by a lot of land, including LA, AR, OK, CO, and NM. To make any sense, you're going to have to compare inner Houston to say inner Orlando. That's about as close as you can get. Instead, compare Houston over time to see a problem growing with a growing city.

Keep in mind too that the soils are different, with the Houston area having a predominance of "gumbo" soil, that is very impermial (sic?) to water. It's why gardeners have to use "loose" soil from elsewhere, because water doesn't easily go through the dense, gummy gumbo.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 05-27-2015 at 10:11 AM..

Old 05-27-2015, 09:28 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times

Old 05-27-2015, 10:01 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
Rather live in the Northeast!

Houses are still there after the snow.

Good luck there

Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 AM

126 posts, read 193,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Difference is flooding in South Florida doesn't last for days or damage homes! That only happens in hurricanes. South Florida has a excellent system of canals to drain off the daily torrential thunderstorms during the summer. Houston doesn't and I would say that has more to do with your conservative State Government not wanting to "waste" money on infrastructure spending.
Lol
S.Fl is a swamp as soon as you dig up theres water the soil is made up of coral/ limestone. The "excellent system ofcanals" are only able to take the 30min summer rains (if it rains longer than that you see widespread flooding) I lived there for 13 years..
Houston bayous are meant for drainage compared to the S.Fl canals. Also the clay soil found in houston doesn't absorb water as good as the Florida limestone.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Rather live in the Northeast!

Houses are still there after the snow.

Good luck there
I've never had to shovel rain out of my driveway before I could go anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston