Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:13 AM

6,287 posts, read 7,491,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I agree but then you have Channels 11 and 13 interviewing people going "I've lived her 20 years and this is the most flooding we've ever got"

Allison was a beast but people are saying this was more flooding and a lot of pictures do look Allison twin like
Allison was much worse, you had the Med Center flooded downtown buildings flooded, even the channel 11 studios on Allen Parkway flooded during Alison .In every event like this you will always have somebody who floods that didn't in the past. Rain does not fall evenly on all areas so there will always be some random difference in flooding patterns.

BTW beautiful North West Houston is high and dry, of course my rain gauge on my mail box (unofficial of course) only shows a little less than 5 inches fell here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 11:18 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
We had some flooding but Klein I believe was the the lone hold out of the districts in the city. Everyone else cancelled school. Tomball is too but they're so far north.

I can only imagine DJBoutIt and all you fellow Meyerland, Brasewood, Westbury living folks are handling your cars being flooded out. I have a friend in Meyerland and she's trapped in her complex so St. Luke's was minus one great nurse today despite her car being on the second level. I have one friend who were stuck at Toyota Center last night with her boyfriend and parents. That could have been worst if they lost again. I'd want to float away from them quickly if so

The pictures I've seen look like Tropical Storm Allison all over again. Ike didn't even look like this.

Newcomers to Houston, a non-Tropical Storm/Hurricane wipes you out in these neighborhoods. That's something to think about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
IMHO, Allison was worse.
From a straight weather standpoint, last night was worse for Sugar Land, which got hit the hardest over the metro area. I don't think Keegans Bayou even flooded out of its banks for Allison - it did this morning.

Allison was probably worse for Houston.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,988,426 times
I think Allison was much worse in terms of widespread houston flooding. Med center, downtown tunnels, east side, northwest side - HPD headquarters and courts on Reisner.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:53 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From a straight weather standpoint, last night was worse for Sugar Land, which got hit the hardest over the metro area. I don't think Keegans Bayou even flooded out of its banks for Allison - it did this morning.

Allison was probably worse for Houston.
Last night was rough in Sugar Land. Once it started raining, it just didn't stop. And the thunder and lightning was so intense. The sky was lit up practically all night. My kids were up for almost all of the night, as were my husband and I. The news is saying 10 inches of rain fell in Sugar Land, and I would believe it. Our street had rushing water, but it all drained away, thankfully. Our only casualties are a lot of our garden plants which appear to be destroyed. Thankfully, my husband's office in the galleria area said to work from home today, and the kids are home from school. I hope we don't have to make this school day up (which my kids won't anyway because we are going out of town the day after school lets out).

Hope everyone is ok. What a rough night!

Old 05-26-2015, 11:58 AM

18,122 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Does anybody live in the Hobby Airport area?
I have a friend flying from Colorado to Hobby tomorrow and is gonna go to Galveston and is asking if there were any issues in that area
Thanks

Old 05-26-2015, 12:00 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I live close to Luckys Pub in the Heights...which is a low spot in the area. I had no flooding but many roads around me were flooding...like I-10 @ Houston ave & I-45 at Main and any underpass in the area.
We signed a contract on a house in the heights Sunday, thankfully no issue with water over at 610 and ella

I should say we currently live in champions forest and while there was standing water in the street around 11 but a 30 min let up allowed the streets to drain. I've actually been impressed with this older neighborhoods ability to handle heavy rain on multiple occasions

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 05-26-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 PM

31 posts, read 34,836 times
We are planning to move to the area over the next 6 months. Just wondering if there was any flooding in Fall Creek or Summerwood.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:14 PM

189 posts, read 224,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueeensBeans View Post
We are planning to move to the area over the next 6 months. Just wondering if there was any flooding in Fall Creek or Summerwood.
None this morning in Fall Creek when I rolled in... Well none off the Beltway on the free Mesa exit.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,913,837 times
We live out in the Fulshear area off of FM 359. Flewellen Creek, which feeds into Jones Creek, broke its banks for the second time in just a few weeks. Fortunately the creek is at the back of the property and only spilled over onto a small portion of the land beyond its banks.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
When the counts are in and we compare the number of flooded cars, flooded homes, homes destroyed and people killed in the Houston metro area, I'll bet Allison will prove to be the worse disaster.

That being said, this storm was definitely bad and it has devastated the lives of many families; therefore, I'm not saying this wasn't very serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston