Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 03:58 PM

672 posts, read 847,142 times

Advertisements

Controversial topic, I know, but was curious as to how some of you long time Texans feel about this? I've only lived here for a little over 2 years (NYC transplant) and I'm glad that open carry has passed. I have my CHL and I still plan on keeping it concealed, but I appreciate that I no longer have to worry if I accidentally print or if I'm reaching over my head and my weapon is exposed and having someone wig out and call the cops. I honestly didn't think that the campus carry would pass.....was surprised when it did.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:04 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Controversial topic, I know, but was curious as to how some of you long time Texans feel about this? I've only lived here for a little over 2 years (NYC transplant) and I'm glad that open carry has passed. I have my CHL and I still plan on keeping it concealed, but I appreciate that I no longer have to worry if I accidentally print or if I'm reaching over my head and my weapon is exposed and having someone wig out and call the cops. I honestly didn't think that the campus carry would pass.....was surprised when it did.

What do you all think?
Open carry will not do anything to protect you from those situations listed above. Even though CHL holders were given a little break years ago on accidental displays you will still be subject to violations if you are carrying concealed.

Honestly I was not a fan of open carry and hope it does not cause issues with those who are not able to properly handle a weapon and their tempers. As for the campus carry I feel that went way to far!

Old 06-01-2015, 07:11 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,863 times
As a non-gun guy, I don't think open carry is a big deal. Campus carry, on the other hand, is crazy. I was once a college student and knowing my experiences on campus, it's not much of a leap to think of some bad things escalating and really terrible things happening with handguns.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:14 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Campus carry will only allow people over 21 who are willing to go through the classes to carry. That requirement alone will eliminate 90% of college students. Most of the people who will carry are professors, university staff, and a few non-traditional students. Personally, if it keeps another Virginia Tech from happening here in Texas, I am all for it!

Old 06-01-2015, 07:26 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Open carry will not do anything to protect you from those situations listed above. Even though CHL holders were given a little break years ago on accidental displays you will still be subject to violations if you are carrying concealed.

Honestly I was not a fan of open carry and hope it does not cause issues with those who are not able to properly handle a weapon and their tempers. As for the campus carry I feel that went way to far!
It seems I stand corrected! I never kept up with the original "Open Carry" initiative and was under the impression originally it was a constitutional carry effort. So I went and read the bill and it can provide some protection for accidental displays and printing you mentioned above.

Now having said that I can't see why there would even be a need for such a ruckus over open carry here if only those with a CHL can do so? Personally if I were carrying I would much rather do it concealed to prevent freaking anyone out!

Old 06-01-2015, 07:58 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
I have my chl but am opposed to open carry. I don't think guns have any place on a college campus. The average young student is still learning about life and the common sense and maturity havent totally kicked in for a lot of them. Potential for irrational behavior in the ages up to 25 is too great in a college setting.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:06 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Gun owner, but not a fan of this. Schools, bars, sporting events should be gun free. I'm not as worried about the carriers, more some nut that may try to grab one from a relatively inexperienced carrier.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,382 times
The state finally got it right.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:25 PM

675 posts, read 1,453,231 times
Honestly, when I was in college, I would have loved to been able to carry. We were sitting ducks in the auditoriums and lecture halls. Praying everyday that no one would do something crazy. When someone is out to do harm, they are not going to care whether its "legal" or not to have a gun on campus. There are a dozen other states where carry on campus is legal and I have yet to hear of a mass shooting happening on these campuses.

In a related note, the university has the discretion of where guns are not allowed...so that may defeat the purpose of the carry all together if universities restrict it too much.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 AM

226 posts, read 306,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
Honestly, when I was in college, I would have loved to been able to carry. We were sitting ducks in the auditoriums and lecture halls. Praying everyday that no one would do something crazy. When someone is out to do harm, they are not going to care whether its "legal" or not to have a gun on campus. There are a dozen other states where carry on campus is legal and I have yet to hear of a mass shooting happening on these campuses.

In a related note, the university has the discretion of where guns are not allowed...so that may defeat the purpose of the carry all together if universities restrict it too much.
I am 10-12 years removed from college/grad school and while I was still in college when the VaTech incident happened, I don't think the average college student was then "on high alert". Most students only worried about the next party, studying for an exam, the opposite sex, and sporting events. People weren't sitting in class worrying "omg, we are sitting ducks".

With that being said, I also saw a lot of weapons in dorms, apartments, and houses during my college years. So regardless if it was legal to carry, or if they were legally owned, weapons were still a part of college life (and this wasn't only in Texas). Students will have them whether they are allowed or not. Students will conceal carry whether it is allowed or not. It didn't make it any more dangerous back then and like you said, it won't necessarily make it more dangerous now that it is allowed (based on university regulations).

I am a responsible gun owner, but I think the open carry is a bit much on campuses and even public places. Students will still bring them, but I doubt many will open carry. Much like many CHL holders who will refuse to open carry in everyday life now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston