Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:46 PM

455 posts, read 518,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
Because they also pay extremely high taxes to be in that public school's zone.
I think the part I bolded might explain part of your confusion -- they pay a lot in taxes to live in RO, despite being zoned Lamar. I think you underestimate how much money some of the residents have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 01:48 PM

26,156 posts, read 21,399,667 times
Hisd's tax rate isn't bad compared to other local ISD and their exemption is better than most

Old 06-02-2015, 01:56 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,020,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Hisd's tax rate isn't bad compared to other local ISD and their exemption is better than most
Unless I'm wrong, HISD still has the lowest school taxes in Harris County, even after absorbing North Forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
I think the part I bolded might explain part of your confusion -- they pay a lot in taxes to live in RO, despite being zoned Lamar. I think you underestimate how much money some of the residents have.
Tax rate is by ISD school district, not by high school zone. Somebody zoned to Worthing or Sterling and somebody zoned to Lamar will pay the same tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt McGirt View Post
Also, Lamar is basically two separate high schools, a pretty good IB / AP program (probably better than any of the equivalents in the suburbs) and a fairly mediocre general high school. The IB program is a minority of the overall school so overall demographics do not look great.

I.e. a homogenous suburban school will typically look better than Bellaire or Lamar but the upper percentile of those schools is really good.
Yes, even 10 years ago there was a difference between the IB section and the non-IB section.

If you want the overall demographics to improve, as HISD to rezone some apartments by Reliant Stadium back to Yates High School.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:09 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,501,277 times
Don't forget that some people choose to live in an area simply for caché, regardless of where it is. Others send their kids to private school for the exact same reason, or for other reasons beyond public schools not being up to par.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:26 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,020,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Don't forget that some people choose to live in an area simply for caché, regardless of where it is. Others send their kids to private school for the exact same reason, or for other reasons beyond public schools not being up to par.
In North Dallas it's even more so.. I've read that all the major private schools in Dallas cluster in the same area, so all the families in Preston Hollow and other wealthy North Dallas areas have a HUGE incentive to send their kids to private school, starving the public schools of wealthy students.

In Houston the private schools are more spread out, so the public schools have an advantage.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:47 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,021,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't understand what is stupid about sending kids to go to school with "economically disadvantaged" kids
If you read the above posts you'll find that people think it's stupid to send your kid to school with hispanic and black kids, too. But don't worry, I'm sure they're not racist.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:58 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,857,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
If you read the above posts you'll find that people think it's stupid to send your kid to school with hispanic and black kids, too. But don't worry, I'm sure they're not racist.
Actually I think the focus is more on lower income kids (of any race). There's been many comments on this board about the undesirability of sending children to New Caney or Splendora schools, because the (primarily Anglo) kids are low income. As if somehow that's going to hurt their child's education because they're coming from a more affluent household. So I guess the question is, does it?

Old 06-02-2015, 05:03 PM

498 posts, read 833,339 times
Private schooling is the second step in the natural class creation process. The first step is segregation by neighborhood median home price.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:28 PM

556 posts, read 1,081,491 times
great...so if I send my kids to private school I can skip a whole step. Wahoo!

Old 06-02-2015, 05:32 PM

2,182 posts, read 3,186,919 times
look at Lamar's map and there's plenty to question as 288 is the cut off line for them and yates when clearly 288 is much closer to Yates and way easier to get to...however, west of 288 is now gentrified housing and medical center so of course that's not going to yates...

but if you look closer 288 mysteriously is not the cut off line until you pass health professions

it looks like they also gave 4th ward to Reagan but who is left over there

Lamar and bellaire has always received preferential treatment from HISD sports as those aa kids specifically go to those schools for those purposes only....It's sad when your starting QB comes from one side of town and the running back comes from Yates attendance zone and even then they can't tell you why they're there outside of sports and no one is watching them in the stands when that same kid could play in front of packed crowd at Yates

then, Lamar plays at Butler Stadium way on the sw side and no one is driving to see them unless they play a Madison cause their already at home....

Lamar has always been the school where the middle class pretty boy type who lives in 5th ward, 3rd ward, sunnyside, etc. runs to cause either their parents "claim" the zoned school is too "bad or rough".....they also get their fair share of HISD employee's kids who live outside the district as where I grew up in Fort Bend ISD, the HISD bus would literally drop you off at the boundary line for your parent to pick them up...

They graduate 800 kids in a class and then other HISD schools graduate maybe 350 but at least 150 or so kids who could up the class size is gone elsewhere and skew the numbers

as for the parking fee....atrocious
Attached Thumbnails
%48 of Lamar's students are considered "economically disadvantaged." ?-lamar.bmp  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston