U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:57 AM

931 posts, read 1,214,917 times

Advertisements

I don't get it

People live in 1MM dollar mansions and send their kids to this school where 48 percent of students are considered "economically disadvantaged." ???

Are these people stupid? Or there is something I do not see.

NRG parking fee an insult at HISD graduations - Houston Chronicle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:58 AM

556 posts, read 969,116 times
The people buying the million dollar + homes aren't usually sending their kids to public schools...and if they are, they're in the IB Program, not gen pop.

HTH.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
The people buying the million dollar + homes aren't usually sending their kids to public schools...and if they are, they're in the IB Program, not gen pop.

HTH.
so where are all these poor people come from when the zoned area is all 1MM dollar homes.

or some of them cheat the system?

Also, what is 1B program?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:06 PM

986 posts, read 1,038,497 times
Apartments.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Crazy situation

These 1MM dollar homes paying so much in real estate taxes and they send their kids to private schools...

It does not make financial sense

About the rich families sending their kids to this school; again it does not make sense; about 38 percent of its 3,200 students are Hispanic, 29 percent African-American.

I mean sell your house and move to a nice neighborhood send your kid to private school and invest the rest of your money and retire early whatever.

What is going on here?

It is like they are subsidizing poor voluntarily and intentionally.

I think I am missing something...

Old 06-02-2015, 12:12 PM

153 posts, read 274,007 times
IB = International Baccalaureate. It's an internationally recognized testing system; I took a bunch of the classes ages ago when I was at Bellaire.

HISD has a transfer system (I had a magnet transfer to Bellaire... and was zoned to Lamar). A former coworker of mine (certainly not a millionaire) had her younger son there on a transfer. So I imagine a lot of the bright kids are in there and may be economically disadvantaged. A lot of apartments are encompassed in Lamar's zone too.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:13 PM

280 posts, read 306,443 times
Lamar has a section of its attendance zone between Main street and 288 that is not all $1mil homes, and there are numerous low income apartments within its zone. The other thing is that 1/3 of Lamar kids are magnet students. If you can throw, catch or run with a football and live within the HISD boundaries, then you are more than likely trying to transfer to Lamar for sports.

http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/T...s/Lamar_HS.pdf

Old 06-02-2015, 12:19 PM

15,723 posts, read 21,284,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I don't get it

People live in 1MM dollar mansions and send their kids to this school where 48 percent of students are considered "economically disadvantaged." ???
I don't understand what is stupid about sending kids to go to school with "economically disadvantaged" kids

Old 06-02-2015, 12:20 PM

280 posts, read 306,443 times
Quote:
Crazy situation

what you're missing is that those people in those +$1mil homes who send their kids to private schools value education, like living inside the loop close to their jobs, like their kids going to school with other $1mil homeowner kids, and for many of them the cost of private school is a drop in the bucket. They are not risking or delaying their retirement one day because of private school cost.

as for subsidizing the poor - ya, that is pretty much a way of life for those people. They're the golden goose.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:26 PM

556 posts, read 969,116 times
Quote:
Crazy situation

These 1MM dollar homes paying so much in real estate taxes and they send their kids to private schools...

It does not make financial sense

About the rich families sending their kids to this school; again it does not make sense; about 38 percent of its 3,200 students are Hispanic, 29 percent African-American.

I mean sell your house and move to a nice neighborhood send your kid to private school and invest the rest of your money and retire early whatever.

What is going on here?

It is like they are subsidizing poor voluntarily and intentionally.

are you really that shocked that extremely wealthy families tend to send their kids to private school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston