Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:08 PM

860 posts, read 1,574,458 times

Advertisements

The suggestions for healthy eating on a budget are great! However, most of the dishes must be seasoned with more than salt and pepper or they're just blah. Herbs and spices are expensive -- maybe the OP can check to see what the family needs in the way of dried herbs, spices, garlic, parmesan cheese, worcestershire sauce, picante sauce, mustard, pickles, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 03:50 PM

122 posts, read 221,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
What are you people buying? I spend on average about $100 a week, and that is with very little effort made to keep the cost down. I buy mostly organic/natural when possible, so I KNOW I could cut my bill in half if I was cash-strapped.

Who CAN'T feed a family for $100/week?

Could you please provide some more detail? What stores do you recommend?

Old 06-04-2015, 03:53 PM

26,150 posts, read 21,383,244 times
Could it be done? Sure but I spend more than that weekly for 2 and about the same on going out to eat

Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 PM

967 posts, read 2,597,396 times
Shop the grocery ads for Loss Leaders. Plan your menu based on what's on sale.

My tip... Sprouts has double ad Wednesdays. Which means you can get the sale prices for last week and this coming week. I usually spend $10-$15 every Wednesday there loading up on cheap produce. My threshold is $1/lb or less. This week that was bananas, green grapes, red and green bell peppers, celery, fresh spinach. Plan your meals around that. Sprouts also sells chicken breast or thighs for $1.99/lb or less on a regular basis.

Aldi is good for bread, milk, eggs, flour, sugar.

Hit up Kroger/HEB for the rest of the basics. And whatever is on sale that week. The ads change every Wednesday. At Kroger cereal is often on sale and can be combined with coupons. Look too for the discount racks for assorted items.

I like HEB meal deals and try to get one once a week. (buy this, get these other items free) It may be pricier than "scratch" but it is often something quick and easy that keeps us from eating out.

Use the

Old 06-04-2015, 05:39 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,337,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
The suggestions for healthy eating on a budget are great! However, most of the dishes must be seasoned with more than salt and pepper or they're just blah. Herbs and spices are expensive -- maybe the OP can check to see what the family needs in the way of dried herbs, spices, garlic, parmesan cheese, worcestershire sauce, picante sauce, mustard, pickles, etc.
The Dollar store has more spices than you would think. Also dollar general has cheap spices.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:57 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,121,581 times
99 Cent store and Aldi. I love Sprouts' produce - but if I were on a strict budget, Aldi is cheaper.

In fact, there is a 99 Cent Store cookbook. Get them one. I used the 99 Cent Store cookbook to host a potluck party - and everyone had to use a recipe from the book and buy from the store. You would have been amazed at the food. In fact, if they need the cookbook, let me know where - and I will drop it off.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:03 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,222,154 times
I second the beans and also add lentils. There are lots of dried varieties in HEB, too. Those are cheap and go a long way. I'm one of those odd people that doesn't mind unseasoned food, too. Also check for coupon web sites like coupon dede. Ask around if any neighbors get the Chronicle and collect their coupon inserts, or ask to collect their Wendesday junk mail. I've done the $100 thing with 3 people, and that was buying Capn Crunch and beef sticks, too.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:05 PM

31 posts, read 85,095 times
They can check out the Five Dollar Dinner website. I think she feeds her family of four on $5.00 per meal or less.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:22 AM

89 posts, read 133,322 times
publix skool meals + ramen noodles. it could work. but dem carbs do girl! personal trainer is an extra 150/mth

Old 06-05-2015, 07:23 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,337,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray_slacker View Post
publix skool meals + ramen noodles. it could work. but dem carbs do girl! personal trainer is an extra 150/mth
Not if the portions are the correct size. It's when the portion sizes are extra large that your weight goes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: