Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 12:31 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,902,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The truth of the matter is that most people who don't or haven't lived in Houston or Texas for that matter don't have the slightest clue what Texas is like. I travel a lot for work and spend a fair amount of time on the East and West coasts as well as in the NE, I constantly run into people who honestly believe that people in Houston still ride their horses to work, show up with 6 shooters on their hip and dress like rodeo announcers 7 days a week. People are also absolutely shocked to find out that we aren't just tumbleweed and cactus down here in Houston.
The ironic part is that the vegetation, ecology, and landscape in Houston has strong affinities with the Southeastern US, and thus can be much lusher, and more jungle-like than many places where those people are coming from. The pictures I posted in this thread would show many people how off they are in their judgments of Houston, and Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I actually wish Texas embraced it more but yeah, I didn't see it much. But there is nothing wrong with it.
The whole "Texas cowboy" is such a farce in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 12:51 PM
bu2

23,865 posts, read 14,643,679 times
Quote:
I lived in Miami and people thought this as well. Asking me do I own a Cowboy hat and Cowboy boots. Acting like we use reckon as much as we use y'all. They think all of Texas was some dusty sandy cactus filled place. Oh and I got the horse thing many times. I blame Hollywood for this. Those Westerners depicted a false sense of Texas. I never heard the word reckon until I went to Miami and they told me about it. I can count on one hand how many times I seen a Cowboy hat and Cowboy Jeans.
Do you hide in February when the rodeo is running?

Old 06-09-2015, 03:37 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,331,850 times
^^ Never been to Houston during the rodeo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The ironic part is that the vegetation, ecology, and landscape in Houston has strong affinities with the Southeastern US, and thus can be much lusher, and more jungle-like than many places where those people are coming from. The pictures I posted in this thread would show many people how off they are in their judgments of Houston, and Texas.

The whole "Texas cowboy" is such a farce in Houston.
Well if you think the cowboy thing is strictly western than yes, it is a farce. If you think that the cowboy thing is also big in parts of other parts of the South than no, it's not a farce at all.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:35 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,969,809 times
I never seem to get used to people who have never been to Houston before making fools of themselves when landing at IAH during the day, many of them openly comment about how many trees there are and how they didn't think Texas would be this "green". I had a woman sitting next to me a couple months ago comment about how she "never expected to see pine trees in Texas" as we landed in Houston. Really? I guess someone should inform Easy Texas and the Piney Woods.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
^^ Never been to Houston during the rodeo.

Well if you think the cowboy thing is strictly western than yes, it is a farce. If you think that the cowboy thing is also big in parts of other parts of the South than no, it's not a farce at all.
True about the cowboy culture in the South. However, the cowboy thing done during the Houston rodeo is exactly that whole stereotypical Texas/Western affair I find a farce. I acknowledge the revenue the event brings to the city, but it does not fit the unique Houston culture. Not by a long shot.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:03 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,331,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
True about the cowboy culture in the South. However, the cowboy thing done during the Houston rodeo is exactly that whole stereotypical Texas/Western affair I find a farce. I acknowledge the revenue the event brings to the city, but it does not fit the unique Houston culture. Not by a long shot.
Yes it does. As the rodeo culture was all over the state of Texas. Rodeo does not equal Western only.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:16 PM

Even Galveston Island can support forest in due time:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jtwill...7651409295906/
A tree population has sustained itself, under protection in the form of the Lafitte's Cove sanctuary. As time passes, it is probable for the vegetation on Galveston to succeed into dense, jungle-like forest.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:30 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,739,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The piney woods of East Texas meet the coastal plains in Harris county.
Exactly. Coastal plains. So even if you're in a part of town where there are literally no trees, one couldn't even describe it as barren, because you'll still be in an area with ample humidity and above average rainfall.

Tall trees or no trees, Houston is lush all over.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:32 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,739,480 times
Quote:
Yes it does. As the rodeo culture was all over the state of Texas. Rodeo does not equal Western only.
I think he's referring to the what the Rodeo has become as opposed to what it once was. If so, I'd have to agree.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Exactly. Coastal plains. So even if you're in a part of town where there are literally no trees, one couldn't even describe it as barren, because you'll still be in an area with ample humidity and above average rainfall.

Tall trees or no trees, Houston is lush all over.
Good point. Any neighborhood in Houston has the potential to end up looking like the floor of the Amazon, even if built on the "treeless" coastal plain. There is just too much rainfall and humidity; combine that with the overall warm climate year-round, and you have plant paradise.

The only reason the coastal plain of Houston is "treeless" is because the region is underlain by clay soils. Clay soils drain very poorly when wet, and can be hard as rock when dry; clay soils also have a basic pH. This makes it hard to sustain straight-up unbroken forest, as forest vegetation likes well-drained soil types (ideally loam), and an acidic pH.

The coastal plain of Houston is more than wet enough for forest; it gets more rainfall per-year than forested East Texas locations like Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Tyler, etc, and more rainfall per-year than Atlanta, the "City in a forest." The forested sectors of Houston, like Kingwood, Woodlands, Spring, etc get less rain per year than many coast plain areas, like League City, or Alvin. However, the clay soil of Houston's coast plain is what ultimately prevents the straight-up unbroken forest, like that seen in Atlanta, or the East Texas locations I named. The entire Houston metro would be straight up unbroken subtropical rain-forest right down to Galveston if not for the clay soil.

Many rivers, though, like the Brazos, provide more well-drained, alluvial soils to the Texas coastal plain. In these areas(depicted in the pictures I posted in this thread), you see the subtropical rain-forest that would be wide-spread across Houston. Mix in Piney Woods pines with these forests, and you would have the forest that would exist in Houston without the clay soils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston