Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM

448 posts, read 1,587,661 times

Advertisements

Perhaps someone will be able to help, how can I go about getting lists of foreclosure homes in the Houston Area. I am looking to purchase a home and was thinking of perhaps looking at a foreclosed home. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 12:41 PM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times
Go out to Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation, ... not sure on the public side, if you can elect foreclosures or not. This is free information on any home in the Houston and surrounding areas that are listed in the MLS system.

Just be careful as not all foreclosures are a "good" deal!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:19 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
hmmmm...Why isn't the Foreclosure search an option for the public on Har.com?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:33 PM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times
hey easy...

good question....perhaps because it's free. When you have to cough up the "big bucks" for MLS they add a few features. ha! ha!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 PM

101 posts, read 847,848 times
Default Foreclosures

First...it's like putting the best hurricane pictures on the Chamber of Commerce site..and second, I think the Real Estate board and Realtors are prohbited by the NAR from publicizing distress sales.

If you have questions you really want definite answers for -- call the HAR

Old 01-21-2008, 07:03 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,309 times
I know of a few foreclosures in my neighborhood, but that probably doesn't help you much. I know how to do it the hard way on har.com
If you find an area you want your home (zip code or neighborhood) plug that into the har search along with your price range. Then you click on every house and see if it says "Foreclosure - Yes" This is just under where it says "Status - active on the market". Here is an example: 9823 Brilliant Lake Dr, Humble, TX 77396-1570 - Canyon Gate At Park Lakes Se Humble

~K~

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Being a foreclosure does not translate into an automatic better deal. I have seen some foreclosures in my neighborhood that I thought were overpriced. Some may be $10,000 less than other houses but would take $15,000 in repairs to get them in comparable condition.

In older areas estate sales can be as good a deal or better than foreclosures.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Being a foreclosure does not translate into an automatic better deal. I have seen some foreclosures in my neighborhood that I thought were overpriced. Some may be $10,000 less than other houses but would take $15,000 in repairs to get them in comparable condition.

In older areas estate sales can be as good a deal or better than foreclosures.

We peeked at some foreclosures and in at least half of them, the owners said Moderator cut: inappropriate verbiage and proceeded to steal the fixtures (all the way down to the light switches), appliances, carpets, tile, cabinets, etc. In most of those that were stripped down, the owners smashed up the walls, ceilings and mirrors with what looked like a 9 pound hammer.

Last edited by da jammer; 01-21-2008 at 09:57 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
We peeked at some foreclosures and in at least half of them, the owners said ''F-U bank'' and proceeded to steal the fixtures (all the way down to the light switches), appliances, carpets, tile, cabinets, etc. In most of those that were stripped down, the owners smashed up the walls, ceilings and mirrors with what looked like a 9 pound hammer.

You are so right. When will banks learn? When they tell the people that are in some trouble that they will not work with them then guess how mad the homeowner gets?

Everywhere you read or hear on TV they say that if you get into trouble then call the bank and they will work with you. Moderator cut: inappropriate verbiage They just increase their demands. The homeowner has no incentive to try to catch up so they just keep the next 6 payments till the Sheriff knocks at the door. All the home owner loses is his credit.

Last edited by da jammer; 01-21-2008 at 10:05 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 09:44 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
The banks will never learn so long as there are realtors out there who improperly sling around the term "investment" to Joe Idiot Consumer. When we were in the market this was actually a trap I used to weed out an unscrupulous realtor. The amount they wanted + the amount it would've cost for repairs was a terrible deal. A similar house in good shape as-is would've cost less than all that. (I'm a car handyman, not a home handyman, and I have a day job.)

That said, I didn't see a single foreclosure that seemed inhabitable. (Not for us, anyway.) In the back of my head I kept thinking - if they took the time to strip the house and hammer what was left, what could they have done to the hidden systems & structure? It doesn't take a genius to weaken a roof, damage the plumbing, or turn a gas furnace into a bomb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston