Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,311 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
my husband and I are thinking about moving to Woodlands, TX, for a job related move.
We currently live in New York, Riverdale, where we recently moved from UWS (which I adore deeply).

Has anyone moved from NY to Woodlands? I have never been there, and actually in Texas at all, I do not even know what to expect Hoping for some feedback from locals.

We are a young professional couple. We love to go out, try different food, etc. Nightlife and shopping is not really important for us. But I am afraid I wont have an access to all the services like here, in NYC, when you can get food at 3 am and get anywhere you possibly want withing the metro area, using a subway.

I know that comparing NYC and Wodlands it's probably like apples and oranges, but still would like to, at least, have an idea of what to expect.

We are still deciding, and haven't confirmed the move. So I was hoping I can get some insights on areas in Woodland that are nice and will fit our lifestyle, before we make a final decision.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:37 PM

46 posts, read 103,476 times
If you don't own a horse, don't bother moving down here.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:45 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Open a google map > maps dot google dot com
In the search function enter > The woodlands, tx < it is 'The Woodlands'
With the map on 'The Woodlands', grab the little yellow google person and drag to some residential street, or business area
The Woodlands is a wholly containerized community north of Houston, replete with running water, electricity, paved roads, etc. Included are property taxes and point of sale taxes, roughly 8.5% on retail purchases that do NOT include grocery and/or pharmacy. Prepared foods, whether from a deli, drive thru, or restaurant are taxed. Beer and wine are available in groceries - taxed, and hard liquor is only in liquor stores that are NOT state related, open until 9 p.m. - closed Sunday.

I'm not familiar with grocery hours in the The Woodlands but that area isn't necessarily an 'all night' sort of location. And no local subway.

All of The Woodlands is a nice area. I haven't spent much time in NY but would think of White Plains (near the USTA) as similar.

It's a beautiful area

Last edited by metroxian; 06-24-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 12:59 PM

672 posts, read 847,445 times
I grew up in the Lower East Side of Manhattan and have been here for 2.5 years and the only thing that I would compare to NYC is the variety of food there is, and how good it is, and the arts/shows in Downtown Houston. The mass transit here doesn't compare in the least bit to NYC. Just make sure that you have a car and you can get some grub to eat at anytime of the day/24 hrs at Walmart LOL.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:11 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
The Woodlands is filled with mostly professionals with families.

It's a suburb north of Houston that isn't, what I consider, an easy commute into the city.

I don't live in The Woodlands, but I really like it. If I worked in that area, that's where I'd choose to live.

Here are things I like about it.
1. It's a pretty area. They tightly control the aesthetics, so you don't have billboards or businesses that are right up against the roads. They make a point of having trees everywhere, so it has a natural feel to it. There is also a small lake.
2. Tons of parks, ponds, hiking and biking trails. I'm not sure how many miles of trails they have, but it is significant.
3. Lot's of shopping, restaurants and entertainment. Are the restaurants as good as in town? Of course not, but you have a lot of variation and price points. Will you have the type of antique shopping as Montrose and other areas? No, but the vast majority of your shopping needs will be in the immediate area. Are there super hip dance clubs? No, but there are many bars, pubs and wine bars. Is there a row of live music venues like you'll find in Austin, Memphis or New Orleans? No. But several of the pub/bars will have nights with live music and you have the Cynthia Mitchell Woods Pavilion that hosts some of the largest tours that pass through Houston. Can you get what you need at any hour like NYC? No, but that won't change, for the most part, even if you lived in town.
4. The main entertainment district has everything and is walkable. Once you get to it, you are set until you leave.

What I don't like about it:
1. During rush hour, it's time consuming getting in and out.
2. It's a pretty good distance from downtown.
3. The HOA fees are pretty high.

It's not an urban area, period, but it's as close to having those types of amenities as you'll get in a suburb.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:11 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atawka3 View Post
Hi there,
my husband and I are thinking about moving to Woodlands, TX, for a job related move.
We currently live in New York, Riverdale, where we recently moved from UWS (which I adore deeply).

Has anyone moved from NY to Woodlands? I have never been there, and actually in Texas at all, I do not even know what to expect Hoping for some feedback from locals.

We are a young professional couple. We love to go out, try different food, etc. Nightlife and shopping is not really important for us. But I am afraid I wont have an access to all the services like here, in NYC, when you can get food at 3 am and get anywhere you possibly want withing the metro area, using a subway.

I know that comparing NYC and Wodlands it's probably like apples and oranges, but still would like to, at least, have an idea of what to expect.

We are still deciding, and haven't confirmed the move. So I was hoping I can get some insights on areas in Woodland that are nice and will fit our lifestyle, before we make a final decision.
Thanks!
First of all, what and where is UWS?

Before you spend any more time even thinking about moving to the Houston area (including The Woodlands), you desperately need to do some in-depth research and then visit for a week or more. It is nothing like you imagine. Texas is car-centric -- public transportation throughout the state is extremely limited at best -- so a car for each of you will be essential. I have no idea about finding food at 3 am in the Woodlands, but even inside The Loop (Loop 610) the choices at that hour are few.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:20 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
I am pretty sure UWS is the Upper West Side.

The Woodlands is a very nice place, but it is more suburban (to me) than anything. But it does have businesses, entertainment, dining, shopping. I am 30 something with a family, and for me, anything I could want, I could probably find in The Woodlands. Then again, I am asleep at 3 am, and I like my car, which is a necessity for The Woodlands and Houston in general. I think you would need to make a visit here before deciding to make this kind of move. It would just be a really big thing to decide sight unseen.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,311 times
Thank you all.
I will definitely schedule a visit before the final decision.

Are there any particular areas that are better/worse in the Woodlands? Any place/village you would recommend you like more than the others in the Woodland, and why?

UWS-Upper West Side

Old 06-24-2015, 01:54 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Quote:
Thank you all.

Are there any particular areas that are better/worse in the Woodlands? Any place/village you would recommend you like more than the others in the Woodland, and why?

UWS-Upper West Side
Whats your budget? Carlton Woods is pretty nice: 15 GRAND REGENCY CIR, The Woodlands TX 77382 - HAR.com

If you want to be able to walk/bike to the main shopping/entertainment area you can get a townhouse like this: 2502 Lake Front Circle, The Woodlands TX 77380 - HAR.com

If you want to be right in the main entertainment district something like this: http://www.har.com/1-waterway--2-a/sale_9923146

Old 06-24-2015, 03:12 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times
Quote:
Thank you all.

UWS-Upper West Side
Well I would recommend living near your work and we would probably need a rough range of what you're interested in paying for a house or for rent. Areas I love but can't afford to get a house in is Eastern Memorial in the Hunters Creek Village neighborhood or River Oaks. What I love about these affluent neighborhoods is that they're heavily wooded and feel secluded despite being right in the heart of the city. If I were going to rent/own with a high-rise within Uptown near Tanglewood, or in Upper Kirby within Montrose. Downtown is starting to get more residential friendly too, but I still wouldn't choose that. These options are more higher end assuming you can afford it since the previous places you lived are somewhat affluent as well. If people on here get price ranges and work locations, then we can start narrowing down what would be the best fit. The woodlands is very nice too, but definitely more suburban, congestion is bad, and mass transit is truly non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston