Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 06:59 AM

21 posts, read 64,978 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

Has anyone ever attended the 4th of July event at Miller Outdoor Theater? It sounds really great for our family but I was wondering if it was worth the drive to get there (we live in Spring)? How early should we get there to get a good place to sit in the grass?

Follow up question - does anyone know if the Fannin South Park & Ride costs $$ to park at? We will probably take the MetroRail into Hermann Park to avoid a Parking nightmare.

I'd love to just go to the Tomball festivities but the only info I can find is that it is at 249 and 2920...that's and HEB parking lot isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
We went there last year. It was delay for almost an hour and quite a few people show up, plus it was raining the whole night. Despite all that, we had a great time and everybody was quite festive waiting for the fireworks.

I would recommend it as it really is pretty cool everybody out in the hills chilling.

You should get there around 7ish but people are going to be packed in everywhere. Bring a nice blanket, drinks (alcohol if you wish), snacks, and bug sprays.

BTW, I actually take my family there for a few shows this past month already. It is great experience and is free.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
That's quite a drive for fireworks. I think you may be disappointed and the traffic will be horrendous. Parking is a nightmare, so go early.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
A couple of times we went and sat on the hill and watched the symphony and the fireworks show. But usually we preferred to sit across the street at Rice and listen to the music on the radio. You could see and hear the fireworks just fine, you had plenty of space and it was easier to get in and out.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,628 times
What other 4th of July celebrations will there be on Saturday night in town? I found one at CityCentre. Anything else?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:11 AM

186 posts, read 209,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
We went there last year. It was delay for almost an hour and quite a few people show up, plus it was raining the whole night. Despite all that, we had a great time and everybody was quite festive waiting for the fireworks.

I would recommend it as it really is pretty cool everybody out in the hills chilling.

You should get there around 7ish but people are going to be packed in everywhere. Bring a nice blanket, drinks (alcohol if you wish), snacks, and bug sprays.
This is exactly the info I was looking for. I've lived in Houston for 2.5 years (moved here from out of state) and this is the first time my husband is gone at work (offshore) and I'm looking for some things to do with my friends instead of the family. Was thinking about the Symphony fireworks but was trying to find out how early I should get there. The fact that I can take the light rail down is super convenient too. No need to deal with parking. Lounging on a blanket with some beer and snacks sounds good to me. (Thanks for reminding about bug spray. Still learning my lesson with that...)

Old 07-01-2015, 09:20 AM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfarm_ View Post
This is exactly the info I was looking for. I've lived in Houston for 2.5 years (moved here from out of state) and this is the first time my husband is gone at work (offshore) and I'm looking for some things to do with my friends instead of the family. Was thinking about the Symphony fireworks but was trying to find out how early I should get there. The fact that I can take the light rail down is super convenient too. No need to deal with parking. Lounging on a blanket with some beer and snacks sounds good to me. (Thanks for reminding about bug spray. Still learning my lesson with that...)
At Miller Theater, part of The Hill is designated for people who bring folding lawn chairs so they don't block the view for those on blankets. If the ground is soggy, a plastic tarp or shower curtain under the picnic blanket is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston