U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 04:44 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,665,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Katy has absolutely nothing going for it other than being a bedroom community for energy corridor workers. Many are transplants with zero pride of home ownership and just need a place to crash. I never understood the hype over such soulless-ness that is deceivingly far from everything interesting that Houston-Galveston has to offer. Although it is only about 2 hours from Austin or San Antonio. But now that the jobs are gone, Katy is about to look like many parts of Houston in the early 80s. Only that maybe one room in the house will have small crown molding.
I agree ! If you don't live in Montrose and send your kids to Kinkaid your a real loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 06:05 AM

206 posts, read 158,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Katy has absolutely nothing going for it other than being a bedroom community for energy corridor workers. Many are transplants with zero pride of home ownership and just need a place to crash. I never understood the hype over such soulless-ness that is deceivingly far from everything interesting that Houston-Galveston has to offer. Although it is only about 2 hours from Austin or San Antonio. But now that the jobs are gone, Katy is about to look like many parts of Houston in the early 80s. Only that maybe one room in the house will have small crown molding.
Oddly enough, most of the people I know in Katy are in the medical field. Yes, I live out there as well. Pretty sure top public schools are the reason Katy will never fail like you want it to . Soulless-ness? Lol.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:21 AM

773 posts, read 1,257,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oespinoza83 View Post
Oddly enough, most of the people I know in Katy are in the medical field. Yes, I live out there as well. Pretty sure top public schools are the reason Katy will never fail like you want it to . Soulless-ness? Lol.
Oddly enough that seems to be pretty true for us too. We know a few people in O&G but most people we know in in South Katy are in different fields. Our clients which are mostly in South Katy to Fulshear tend to be upper middle class and we have seen very few clients so far get effected by the downturn. Our pet care business is still seeing large growth going into this year so far.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:06 AM

113 posts, read 148,341 times
My sense is that homes north of the $500K price point are struggling to sell. We had a neighbor try to under-price his home - let it sit on the market for three weeks (priced at $500K) and it didn't sell. Other similiar homes were priced 30K higher and his had a pool as well. Its a buyers market right now especially at these price points.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:52 AM

3,274 posts, read 6,186,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
Oddly enough that seems to be pretty true for us too. We know a few people in O&G but most people we know in in South Katy are in different fields. Our clients which are mostly in South Katy to Fulshear tend to be upper middle class and we have seen very few clients so far get effected by the downturn. Our pet care business is still seeing large growth going into this year so far.
If I start to see stray dogs running around so Katy, I guess it's safe to assume O&G downturn has hit Katy hard.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 PM

237 posts, read 464,491 times
We recently had our house up on the market in Cinco due to wife getting a promotion and us moving to Kansas City. We live in an awesome area of cinco, walking distance to elementary school, high school, etc. Also it is in a great cul de sac location with large yard. After about 8 showings (which were slow) we got an offer but it was below what we were asking (about 5%) lower than our asking price. After talking with the real estate agent we decided to take it. She stated that more and more homes are coming up on the market due to job layoffs etc. If we weren't in a rush to move we probably would have waited, but are thankful for what we got. A year ago it probably would have sold in a week at what we were asking if not more. Since then we have learned that another neighbor has lost their job, and one is being transferred...good timing is everything.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:25 PM

262 posts, read 137,315 times
You guys are making me feel better! My dh may have to relocate to Sugarland in 4 weeks...nothing like last minute transfers...sigh. We are almost empty nesters, so not really concerned about school zones (plus we homeschool and on our last senior). We do hope to stay there at least 10 years...but have NO clue of the areas. I would love to be near walking trails (fitbit junkie...I walk 5-10 miles a day), have 2000-2500 sq. feet, be under 350k and a fenced yard...where's the house fairy that just creates that for me? But Katy? Missouri City? (Is that such a place or is it something else)..I do think I want to avoid Sugarland because we really don't like being in dense suburbia...right now we have 10 acres and are going to have to find homes for our horses...because we know we can't find property there for them . Can you please guide what areas might work for us? Thanks!

Old 03-04-2016, 10:04 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,985,794 times
Katy is too far for the larger lots you want. Check out homes with larger lots on har.com closer to Sugar Land. There are lots of different options around Richmond, Rosenberg, Needville and areas west of Sugar Land.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:36 AM

453 posts, read 1,306,791 times
I agree. Katy is similar to Sugar Land, mostly composed of just MPC (Master Planned Communities). For acreage, I would recommend looking further West. Richmond and Rosenberg have some pocket areas that have acreage available, but due to the proximity to Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, etc... 10 acres won't come cheap. Are you willing to accept the commute time to move further out for more affordable property? Doubt you find any walking trails near acreage however.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:54 AM

262 posts, read 137,315 times
I am sorry, I should have clarified, we are leaving 10 acres and rehomimg our horses, a quarter acre lot will serve us fine. We have three dogs (easy on a farm) but will need fenced in yard. Would like community near 77072 bc I hear traffic is bad. Is there backup coming from Katy/Fulshears/Cinco Ranch into that zip code or should we buy within 5-10 miles? Thanks so much! Any info is greatly appreciated!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston