Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 04:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Some of the things I heard from friend of mind and not sure how different it is Houston from Florida.

1 Houston is more business oriented than working class or blue collar line of work.
2 Every thing is cheaper in Houston than Florida.
3 People dress up more and more into fashion and trends in Houston than people in Florida.
4 It rains lot more in Houston than Florida.

One of the things a friend said is how it rains all the time in Houston and it cheaper in Houston than Florida to buy house.

Other difference he was going on is crime is different in Florida than Houston or Dallas. More street drug dealing in Florida or in a parking lot vs a drug house dealing in Houston or Dallas.

And shootings and homicide more from a building in Houston and Dallas than street or parking lot in Florida.

Most shootings a night club,bar or house than street or parking lot.
Its tough to qualify so Ill try.

1) Yes, I think thats true at least from the perspective of being more business oriented than Florida. Its traditionally been more of a blue collar city, but its diversified a lot.

2) Depends on the part of Florida that youre talking about. If your comparing it to Central Florida, then no Houston isnt cheaper. If youre talking about the Miami area, Houston is much cheaper.

3) Again, it depends on the part of Florida. Compared to Jacksonville, people in Houston are more fashionable. Compared to Miami, people in Houston dress down quite a bit. Coming from Dallas, Houston feels like it dresses down and is less fashion forward. But I kinda like that.

4) Its a wash. Both rain quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 04:35 PM

1,230 posts, read 992,708 times
Quote:
1) Yes, I think thats true at least from the perspective of being more business oriented than Florida. Its traditionally been more of a blue collar city, but its diversified a lot.
I think problem is if you into blue collar line of work than want is better to move to Houston or Florida.

Don't move to Houston or Florida and think want is better to get a job working in factories,manufacturing and warehouse line of work.

I know in the US factories,manufacturing and warehouse lot of these are going to China and India now. Not really safe any where now in the US.

Houston may be better if you have a college or university. Well Florida may be better if you do not have college or university.

Houston may not be good if you do not have college or university.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I think problem is if you into blue collar line of work than want is better to move to Houston or Florida.

Don't move to Houston or Florida and think want is better to get a job working in factories,manufacturing and warehouse line of work.

I know in the US factories,manufacturing and warehouse lot of these are going to China and India now. Not really safe any where now in the US.

Houston may be better if you have a college or university. Well Florida may be better if you do not have college or university.

Houston may not be good if you do not have college or university.
You're being too vague though. What part of Florida are you specifically talking about?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You're being too vague though. What part of Florida are you specifically talking about?

I hear all of Florida is mostly a service sector economy like Houston. Some people say Florida may have more factories,manufacturing and warehouse than Houston.

Don't move to Houston or Florida think you will get job working in factories,manufacturing and warehouse.

The Miami area and Fort Lauderdale area may have bit of light manufacturing and warehouse than Houston or other areas of Florida.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I hear all of Florida is mostly a service sector economy like Houston. Some people say Florida may have more factories,manufacturing and warehouse than Houston.

Don't move to Houston or Florida think you will get job working in factories,manufacturing and warehouse.

The Miami area and Fort Lauderdale area may have bit of light manufacturing and warehouse than Houston or other areas of Florida.
Heres the problem though, you're comparing a city to an entire state. Thats too broad a brush. You need to isolate an area of Florida which you want to compare to Houston. Whats true in Miami, isn't true in Tampa, isn't true in Jacksonville, isn't true in Fort Walton Beach.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Heres the problem though, you're comparing a city to an entire state. Thats too broad a brush. You need to isolate an area of Florida which you want to compare to Houston. Whats true in Miami, isn't true in Tampa, isn't true in Jacksonville, isn't true in Fort Walton Beach.
I removed my posts here.

Disregard this posts.

It is confusing people.

Last edited by Bubble99; 07-23-2015 at 02:09 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 01:49 AM

657 posts, read 740,232 times
This thread is giving me cancer

Old 07-23-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
This thread is giving me cancer

My English is not best of explaining my self, even I my self having a bit trouble reading my post a above. Even though I know it in my head what I want to say but not explaining my self proper and confusing the reader.

Disregarded the above posts and keep it simple and get back to topic.

1 Houston is more business oriented than working class or blue collar line of work.

Poster peterlemonjello said.

Yes, I think thats true at least from the perspective of being more business oriented than Florida. Its traditionally been more of a blue collar city, but its diversified a lot.

2 Every thing is cheaper in Houston than Florida.
Poster elnina said some places are cheaper in Florida over Houston and other places in Florida are more costly than Houston like south east Florida.

3 People dress up more and more into fashion and trends in Houston than people in Florida.

4 It rains lot more in Houston than Florida.

Okay this may be similar to what above poster said you cannot compare state vs city.

I will make other thread state vs state on factories,manufacturing and warehouse that is confusing this thread.

Sorry if my English is not best and confusing.

Last edited by Bubble99; 07-23-2015 at 02:14 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 08:40 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
No problem. I think comparing the two states texas comes out ahead in terms of economic diversity, jobs, but also being more expensive in terms of housing. Tell me if im wrong - but overall I think living in the large metro areas in texas is more expensive than the metro areas in florida on average. Yes miami may be more expensive than our most expensive but we have more larger metros than florida does and certainly florida has some really cheap living available in parts of that state like we have in our rural areas.

id also be surprised florida having more manufacturing and warehouse work.

Id bring this thread back on topic before creating a new one

Old 07-30-2015, 12:33 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times
Ok, so I was having dinner with a friend last night, and we were talking about Texas. I told her My favorite out of the 2 biggest metros is Houston. Been there twice, and Dallas 3 times; Although I have never lived there. Long story short, she was like, "Ewwwww, Houston is ghetto", and made a comparison stating, "Houston is where all the oil field workers live and Dallas is where all the Execs live". I have 2 friends who live in Dallas aside from my dinner last night, and they say the Exact same thing. One moved from Louisiana when he was 12 to Dallas and is now 28. Is this true?

People can tend to call places ghetto because of the large population of Black people like Atlanta, and Atlanta in no way is ghetto? I prefer Houston. It's warmer, the people are more laid back, HUGE International flair and I just liked the scenery better. Dallas was just not my style...Anyway, Is this true, or is this comment about Houston being ghetto something that should be taken with a grain of salt? Any opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston