Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 AM

465 posts, read 613,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
THIS. I would say it is SO MUCH HARDER for one income to have a $400k-$700k lifestyle, plus all the 'stuff' that comes with it (Whole Foods, Starbucks, cars, vacations, kids activities, saving for college, etc.) than it is for a single income to support a $250k lifestyle.

What do these guys do that make $200-250k plus per year on ONE INCOME???

Dual income professionals can get that, but for a single income to make that is EXTREMELY HARD, especially to make that much at the age with children under 5.

What do they do?? What is their secret??
They are talking about price of homes NOT salary. We paid $2700 in rent on a 3 story cramped town home with no yard in Northern VA. We move to Texas buy a $400K plus house much larger and huge yard and our mortgage is less than the rent we were paying in VA. Single income family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 AM

74 posts, read 86,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFun2015 View Post
Thank you to those who have provided additional information on the daily traffic in Sugar Land - very helpful!

Any more thoughts on the Woodlands?
I just moved to Woodlands a month ago. In the Houston area, I have lived in the Clear Lake area, Katy and now Woodlands. Also have family in Sugar Land though never did live there. As far as traffic goes, if you are going into town....none of these are a fun commute. It's pick your poison kind of thing.

That being said, traffic within the Woodlands itself is just fine. Fairly quick to get from back of Woodlands to I-45....about 15 minutes I would say (that's when the trouble starts). The quality of life, specially if you are into an active lifestyle, is better than Clear Lake and Katy for us. I cannot speak to Sugar Land though I suspect Sugar Land is similar to Katy.

I live in Sterling Ridge which is about the furthest away from I-45. If you are looking for grocery stores, I can drive to Kroger, HEB, Target, Wal Mart or Trader Joes....all about 3 miles...in less than 10 mins. Plenty of dining options in the same general area. Steakhouse, Thai, Chinese, Pizza, Tex-mex, Italian. If I had to guess, I would say I can get to at least 25 dining establishments, including the fast food stuff, in less than 10 minutes.

I am also a runner. Traffic noise depends on the roads you are running on. If you stay away from the major thoroughfares, there is little to no noise once you have the music on. It is not hard to stay away from the thoroughfares. The trails are plenty and well-marked.

Getting away from the crowds....still figuring that out. For all the claims about Woodlands trails, they are basically concrete sidewalks. You will run into cylists, dogs, walkers and other runners on these. Not too bad though.

If you want true offroad trails, there are two options. The George Mitchell nature preserve and WG Jones state forest. I have tried the first one. It is more or less completely wild. Narrow trails, plenty of tree roots running across. Saw exactly one person over the hour I was there. Personally, I prefer the concrete. While I like the natural vibe of George Mitchell....I am simply too scared of running into a snake. Did once in Clear Lake and been spooked ever since.

As for the people, we were invited and went to the July 4th party hosted by our neighbours 4 days after we moved. Nice people. Had a good time. The way I see it is that the neighbourhood is what you make of it. Most people are just trying to live their life. If you treat them well, most will reciprocate.

Most of Exxon move is done. The ones who are relocating are either done or should be, I suspect, before school starts.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by usulbaggins; 07-23-2015 at 09:09 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
As mentioned a while back, you should check out Nottingham Forest, south of memorial on either side of Dairy Ashford. Great schools and it's bounded by Terry Hershey Park to the south which opens into Addicks Reservoir.

You could probably do a 50 mile bike ride without getting on a street. Also the Anthills mountain bike trail is also behind Nottingham Forest on the south side of the bayou although I haven't checked it out since the flooding, it may be in need of repair.

The advantage of NF over the suburbs is pretty much anything you want is within a 10 minute drive. With everything that's grown up around it since 1965 its become 'the suburbs in the city'. And the amenities within the neighborhood are great too. Our own private joke, if we have to drive for anything past Kirkwood, we get a nose bleed.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
As mentioned a while back, you should check out Nottingham Forest, south of memorial on either side of Dairy Ashford. Great schools and it's bounded by Terry Hershey Park to the south which opens into Addicks Reservoir.

You could probably do a 50 mile bike ride without getting on a street. Also the Anthills mountain bike trail is also behind Nottingham Forest on the south side of the bayou although I haven't checked it out since the flooding, it may be in need of repair.

The advantage of NF over the suburbs is pretty much anything you want is within a 10 minute drive. With everything that's grown up around it since 1965 its become 'the suburbs in the city'. And the amenities within the neighborhood are great too. Our own private joke, if we have to drive for anything past Kirkwood, we get a nose bleed.
Years ago, when we moved to Katy....we did look at Nottingham Forest. I can second every thing you say. The bike trails, access to Terry Hershey, proximity to everything and Katy ISD schools if I remember it right. The only reason why we ended up further west in Cinco Ranch was most of the houses we saw in Nottingham were older and needed work. But then we were looking at the wrong time of the year. With the right house, it is a great location.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:44 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usulbaggins View Post
Years ago, when we moved to Katy....we did look at Nottingham Forest. I can second every thing you say. The bike trails, access to Terry Hershey, proximity to everything and Katy ISD schools if I remember it right. The only reason why we ended up further west in Cinco Ranch was most of the houses we saw in Nottingham were older and needed work. But then we were looking at the wrong time of the year. With the right house, it is a great location.
Spring Branch ISD Schools. Stratford High, Spring Forest Middle, Meadow Wood Elementary.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Spring Branch ISD Schools. Stratford High, Spring Forest Middle, Meadow Wood Elementary.
I stand corrected.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:53 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usulbaggins View Post
Agreed. Incredible location within the city. There are lots of new houses now, but they start around 1.2 mil.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:32 AM

804 posts, read 1,075,819 times
why do people wanting to come to Houston want walkability? Houston is the opposite of walkability.get a car.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
why do people wanting to come to Houston want walkability? Houston is the opposite of walkability.get a car.
Maybe because they are moving from walkable northern cities and want to continue that lifestyle. One summer in Houston will fix that...

Old 07-23-2015, 12:34 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Wasn't the OP also looking for good schools? This may help, links to the greater Houston area school rankings:

Elementary - http://173.45.238.175/content/wp-con...y-Rankings.pdf

Middle - http://173.45.238.175/content/wp-con...l-Rankings.pdf

High - http://173.45.238.175/content/wp-con...l-Rankings.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston