Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:43 AM

133 posts, read 301,158 times

Advertisements

I want to attend law school in Fall 2016. I'm interested in both TSU and UH. My end goal after law school is to work within Public Interest Law. I would love to provide legal services for those who are poor or work for a non-profit that focuses on Civil Rights/Immigration. I have some family members who are lawyers and maybe we can start our own firm . I'm studying for my LSAT. I'm going to take it in Dec. I wanted to take it sooner but I'm super nervous. I took a practice test and I had like a 160. I want a 170 or higher.

I have two cousins that went to UH-Law Center way back in the 80s/90s and they are pushing me to go there. I visited UH and it's beautiful and I love the diversity there. I like that UH has a part-time program while TSU doesn't. Full-time 1L students can not work more than 20 hours a week while part-time Law students can work as many hours as they want. I would like to work(maybe a paralegal/legal secretary) while in school so that I can gain experience on my resume and live more comfortably. Another part of me just wants to be completely full time so that I can finish law school sooner. I heard it's also harder for a lot of part-time students to network since they work during the day and go to class at night.

One of my main reasons for considering TSU is that it's a HBCU. It was the first school in Texas where Black students were allowed to study law. I've never experienced student life at an HBCU. My undergrad was at a PWI and I enjoyed it but I always sort of regretted not applying to any HBCUs. I'm of African descent and it would be great to go to an institution that served my ancestors when they had no other schools to go to. TSU is also inexpensive compared to UH. If I were to go full-time here it wouldn't be hurting my finances much.

Has anyone attended either of these schools for Law?
What was your experience like?
How did you pay for school?
When did you graduate and pass the bar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 12:11 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,742 times
TSU is a joke law school, sorry but that's the unfortunate truth. The only relevant law schools in Texas are UT followed by SMU and UH.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:43 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
Only reason to go to TSU would be if they offered you a full ride scholarship as a degree from there carries no weight.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:00 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,072 times
A degree from 2nd tier and 3rd tier law school is not worth the paper it was printed on.

Law profession in general have a drastic change in the last 7 years, there are way too many people with law degrees and not enough legal jobs for them.

Unless you plan to go in with your family and leech off them for clients, then maybe TSU law school might make sense. Because most people would not even look at any resumes with a TSU law degree. I certainly would not hired a lawyer with a TSU law degree.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:09 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,538 times
translation....they are black....

Old 07-20-2015, 02:30 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
translation....they are black....
No, the program is just not very good there.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:53 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
I'm not a law student, and even I have heard about how poorly TSU Law performs. UH law is on another tier altogether.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:01 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,661 times
If you want to give a nod to a HBCU you do that for undergrad. For graduate school always go for the best and out of those two UH all the way.

Or even South Texas.

In Houston, UH and South Texas lawyers get somewhere.

TSU has been on a downhill slide forever and with all that Priscilla Sledge drama a few years ago the name is just tainted. And I'm black. I didn't go to TSU for undergrad and won't ever go there for anything else.

They still have a good pharmacy program but the law school is not good.

South Texas has a part time program as well.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:20 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,888 times
If you get in at U of H, you go there. It's that simple. However, there are good lawyers who come out of TSU. I have one and she's fantastic.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:57 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,980 times
lol TSU they had classes over in the medical center Nabisco building for awhile when I worked for bcm. It was very apparent why that school wasn't rated very highly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston