Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:03 PM

38 posts, read 45,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
The OP asked the question in 2015...
Yep, did you learn anything??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 04:55 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
And I'm still here! Always interesting to hear new info, and get educated about a subject I know little about.

The thread bump is what has my curiosity piqued. I know most areas the OP asked about (Woodlands, Conroe) prohibit private water wells. Don't know about the unincorporated areas?

Old 02-21-2018, 09:28 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Water...

No matter the age of the thread, but it is still always funny to have someone post when it may be obvious that they did not check the date... but I agree with @perro_peluo in that old threads are good to learn by.

Having said that, who says you cannot drill a water well in COH? You most certainly can, you just have to get it permitted, and it is not cheap. But not too many reasons why you would need one in the COH, unless you plan to open a big public swimming pool, or car wash, or have a very large property that you need irrigated. I recall a car wash recently getting a permit near Montrose. In general, Texas allows the property owner to use the water under his/her land, but it belongs to the state, and they can deny permits based on conservation, etc. No reason for a homeowner to drill though.

Check out this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhwebOEF2E. I've seen other videos where you can use compressed air to operate a small drill that you can order online, and use your water hose to remove the material. Interesting stuff that you can find on Youtube.

And slightly related to this thread... I had to relocate a huge post for an automatic gate at my house, and I had to dig down to four feet, and even at that level, I had to contend with water! I think because of all the water we got since Harvey, but still, it forms a well quickly.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Having said that, who says you cannot drill a water well in COH? You most certainly can, you just have to get it permitted, and it is not cheap. But not too many reasons why you would need one in the COH, unless you plan to open a big public swimming pool, or car wash, or have a very large property that you need irrigated. I recall a car wash recently getting a permit near Montrose. In general, Texas allows the property owner to use the water under his/her land, but it belongs to the state, and they can deny permits based on conservation, etc. No reason for a homeowner to drill though.
Are you certain about that? I don't know the law, so I can't state with any certainty, but I was under the impression that ground subsidence had led to the prohibition on (new) water wells in the COH. I have a friend who has an old grandfathered well for pool/irrigation, but the city told him once it dies... no more.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:51 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Are you certain about that? I don't know the law, so I can't state with any certainty, but I was under the impression that ground subsidence had led to the prohibition on (new) water wells in the COH. I have a friend who has an old grandfathered well for pool/irrigation, but the city told him once it dies... no more.
Its not listed anywhere, but I believe the rule at the subsidence district is that if you are served by city water then you can not drill a well.....However, they do allow wells to be drilled (I believe) on properties larger than 10 acres, or if the water will be used for an agricultural purpose.

Even when they do allow you to drill, I know they charge you for the water. We recently (last 10 years) drilled a well in Brazoria county, on a 50 acre piece served by city water. We were allowed to do it for agricultural purposes only, which does include irrigation. We were not permitted to attach it to the building. We have to pay a fee for the well annually, and it has meter that we have to read and pay for the water extracted.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Its not listed anywhere, but I believe the rule at the subsidence district is that if you are served by city water then you can not drill a well.....However, they do allow wells to be drilled (I believe) on properties larger than 10 acres, or if the water will be used for an agricultural purpose.

Even when they do allow you to drill, I know they charge you for the water. We recently (last 10 years) drilled a well in Brazoria county, on a 50 acre piece served by city water. We were allowed to do it for agricultural purposes only, which does include irrigation. We were not permitted to attach it to the building. We have to pay a fee for the well annually, and it has meter that we have to read and pay for the water extracted.
Thanks, good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston