Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times

Advertisements

One of my good friends in college, who was also an EMT, was out on a call one night and was killed by a drunk driver. He was 21 when he died.

No sympathy from me buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 11:18 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,617 times
I agree that I have no sympathy, but why do so many who feel this way about impaired driving oppose having a ban on the use of mobile devices for drivers? It's as or more dangerous without the same social stigma, and needs to change.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:42 AM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
I agree that I have no sympathy, but why do so many who feel this way about impaired driving oppose having a ban on the use of mobile devices for drivers? It's as or more dangerous without the same social stigma, and needs to change.
A phone user can turn off the phone instantly. A drunk driver cannot turn off the intoxication.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,550 times
I am not whining i own the fact that i did what i did....and im sorry for that i should have knew better, and yes this was my first time offense...i did go to a program because i wanted to get help and i did, thank god.....every one that i know drinks in some capacity....i just got caught...all im saying is a person who does not drink but may have gone to a christmas party and thought he was "alright because just one beer" and gets a dwi is wrong.....I'll deal with my concequences no doubt..and im all for penalties...but these new laws are going to ruin lives...a college kid who is in college because thats what we do... goes to a party has fun a couple of beers and gets a dwi life is over, cause he has to carry that decision for the rest of his life...that aint right...or a hard working person like myself who has worked for 20yrs straight has to start over....the laws are changing and whats sad about it is you dont have a say so in any of it...the world is becoming a policed state...they tell you what to do...and set the rules...criminal record im not a criminal...dont put up facts if you are reading outdated material...Facts are you cant TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES, WILL BE ON YOUR RECORD FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE..CANT PASS A BACKGROUND CHECK....im better now and sober bottom line is dont drink and drive ever.....

Old 08-07-2015, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,550 times
i was in my car...

Old 08-07-2015, 12:11 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,819 times
Honestly you can claim whatever and say anything but you have already seen your not going to get any support here. The hard truth is you screwed up and now you have to pay for it; just like the majority of everyone else that screws up.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:29 PM

82 posts, read 102,039 times
If tough laws are the only thing that will people to stop getting behind the wheel then I am all for them. Get a cab.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:46 PM

480 posts, read 1,698,977 times
DWI and Commercial Driver's Licenses [CDL] in Texas

Old 08-07-2015, 12:48 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
I do not drink alcohol in any capacity. So no, not everyone does drink.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:49 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,695 times
Default Well I think you've learned two things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesnt fit View Post
I am not whining i own the fact that i did what i did....and im sorry for that i should have knew better, and yes this was my first time offense...i did go to a program because i wanted to get help and i did, thank god.....every one that i know drinks in some capacity....i just got caught...all im saying is a person who does not drink but may have gone to a christmas party and thought he was "alright because just one beer" and gets a dwi is wrong.....I'll deal with my concequences no doubt..and im all for penalties...but these new laws are going to ruin lives...a college kid who is in college because thats what we do... goes to a party has fun a couple of beers and gets a dwi life is over, cause he has to carry that decision for the rest of his life...that aint right...or a hard working person like myself who has worked for 20yrs straight has to start over....the laws are changing and whats sad about it is you dont have a say so in any of it...the world is becoming a policed state...they tell you what to do...and set the rules...criminal record im not a criminal...dont put up facts if you are reading outdated material...Facts are you cant TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES, WILL BE ON YOUR RECORD FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE..CANT PASS A BACKGROUND CHECK....im better now and sober bottom line is dont drink and drive ever.....
1. Here in 'Merica we don't care if you are remorseful, have made multiple moves to take care of your alcoholism, etc. We don't even care if you've done your time, and through your actions have been rehabilitated. All we care about is PUNISHMENT FOR LIFE, if you step out of line. Even first time offenders don't deserve a second chance anymore, no matter the circumstances.

2. You are a slave to a system in which you don't get to participate in decision making, only in the consequences of coming to the attention of the authorities.

I think that first time offenders, if they successfully complete a program, and by their actions show they have been rehabilitated, should get a second chance and should be able to suppress their record if they stay out of trouble for a period of years. But sadly, as you can see, most 'Mericans are too short sighted to see that rehab is a far better way to go than perpetually punishing people and everyone associated with them.

These "punishment for life" types are the stone throwers that have no sin that are talked about in the Bible. They think they live by Christian values, but they'd have put Jesus in prison and then punished him for life for throwing out the money lenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston