Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times

Advertisements

I think the limit should be moved back to .1

I wonder what the OP blew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 11:39 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,913,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

By the look of things, enough that he couldn't remember to get back on CD Forum to keep us abreast of the situation as it has developed (OP hasn't been back for 3 weeks.)

Alcohol kills (brain cells)

Old 08-26-2015, 02:18 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,034 times
Quote:

Good luck with getting that passed by the M.A.D.D. people. I personnally don't drink and drive anymore, even if I had just one. The hassle is just not worth it. The criteria for getting charged with one is so subjective that they don't even need to fail a breathilizer test (bad idea by the way to agree to this) just the cops "expert" opinion (they "smelled" alcohol on you) It can take as little as one or two drinks depending on your body size and metabolisim (which can vary greatly from person to person) to blow a 0.08 or more. Even if you end up winning your case you already lost. Most people don't realize that when you get a DWI it's actually two parallel process, one civil (automatic license suspension without any real trial) and criminal charges, same thing for the penalty (civil = DPS surcharge for 3 years ~ 3K) and any consequences of your conviction (criminal = fines, court cost, jail time, etc.). Also, travel to certain countries (e.g. Canada of all places) will be off limits since the equivalent of DWI is a felony up there. My advise, just don't do it.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer but I play one on the internet.

Last edited by lipbalm; 08-26-2015 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: d.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
My brother was arrested for a DWI. He essentially used the recommendations posted earlier (just said, "I need to call a lawyer"). He was not convicted, but it cost him $5k and a bit of misery.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:45 PM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Yeah... good lawyer and $$$ ...

Old 08-26-2015, 04:55 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,849,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
By the look of things, enough that he couldn't remember to get back on CD Forum to keep us abreast of the situation as it has developed (OP hasn't been back for 3 weeks.)

Alcohol kills (brain cells)
Can you really blame him for not coming back. 99% of the responses have been harsh judgement instead of understanding and helpful advice.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:47 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,755,726 times
You should have called Ron Trevino for some advice

Old 08-27-2015, 07:00 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,913,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Can you really blame him for not coming back. 99% of the responses have been harsh judgement instead of understanding and helpful advice.
Color me skeptical, but anyone who posts a hot-button issue as a first time poster on CD with (likely intentional) poor grammar and (likely intentional) half-hearted excuses is more likely a bored youth looking to get us "old" (read: 22+ years of age) folk stirred up in a frenzy.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:58 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
I have NO sympathy for anyone who drives drunk no matter how few times they do so. Have a designated driver if you are going to drink. It's not that difficult.

Try the laws in other countries. We are not tough at all.

Think Drunk-Driving Rules Are Tough Here? Try Sweden - Driver's Seat - WSJ

Quote:
Beer-loving Germans and Belgians, for instance, are breaking the law if they drive with blood alcohol levels above .05.

In Sweden, the limit is .02 — which according to an online calculator I found would mean a 170-pound man could be over the limit after drinking two beers in an hour. In practice, Japanese drivers can’t have any alcohol in their bloodstream, according to a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, or NHTSA.
The legal driving limit in Sweden is .02. If you break the law more than once, your name, your face and your car goes into a database so police can stop you at anytime.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:10 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
My brother was arrested for a DWI. He essentially used the recommendations posted earlier (just said, "I need to call a lawyer"). He was not convicted, but it cost him $5k and a bit of misery.
I am not proud to say I just went through a roadblock three weeks ago and I'd only had two beers, but they use these flashlights now with an alcohol sensor to decide whether to pull you over or not, and I got busted. I refused all the tests, but in refusing I had a mandatory 4 hour layover in jail that night, and a mandatory 1 year suspension of my license.

I hired an attorney for $3500 and so far I've spent $500 more in fees to file for a cause trial, got a new picture ID (not a license, I have a temporary license until the hearing), plus getting my car back, etc.

My attorney has several clients that blew 0.04 and 0.06 and even though that's under the legal limit, they got DUIs anyway for "Driving Less Safe".

It's not worth it; get a cab or a DD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston