Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 5,471 times

Advertisements

I am seeing more and more people stopping far before reaching the intersection at lights and even stop signs, but mostly at lights. As often as not this action (or lack of it) does not trip the light strips notifying the traffic light a car is present. I first began noticing this a month or two ago and it is happening now with greater frequency. Is there any one out there that has a clue as to what the driver is hoping to accomplish by stopping 10 to 20 feet before they reach the intersection paint strip where we are meant to queue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 03:37 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
They probably can't wait to get on their phone and text or look at Facebook.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshVorlon View Post
I am seeing more and more people stopping far before reaching the intersection at lights and even stop signs, but mostly at lights. As often as not this action (or lack of it) does not trip the light strips notifying the traffic light a car is present. I first began noticing this a month or two ago and it is happening now with greater frequency. Is there any one out there that has a clue as to what the driver is hoping to accomplish by stopping 10 to 20 feet before they reach the intersection paint strip where we are meant to queue?
Because these cops are getting insane.

I was pulled over about 3 weeks ago for failing to stop behind the white line at a stop sign [I was actually behind it].

However, I fail to see how the cop would even notice that considering he was not only behind me, but it was night time.

I only received a warning though.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:35 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Maybe they don't want cars with the green light to slide into them if they have an accident in the intersection ? I've seen that happen too. They hit each other in the intersection and slide into cars waiting at the light.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:36 PM

61,640 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Stopping directly at the paint strip has no meaning at all. Long time ago , there was sometimes just one wire buried under the stop line, but not practiced anymore. Now those sensors are significantly farther back - three or more car lengths back.
However, traffic laws says that you should stop before the stop line, if there is one. If police decide you're too far ahead or too far behind the line, they could charge you with disobeying a stop sign. But, the law doesn’t specify how close you should be to the line. See G.S. 20-158(b)(5); (c)(5)
Also, you should not stop so close to the next car, but keep a minimum of one car length between you and the next car. The more the better that distance allows you the visibility, time and space to maneuver if you see through your rear-view mirror that the car behind you isn’t stopping in time.

http://www.texashighwayman.com/laws.shtml

Plausible explanation: maybe they are afraid of being t-boned by cross traffic? The rear-ending thing can also make sense
There's also a specific style of traffic light that has some kind of refractive cover over the bulbs such that when you are pulled up to the white line, it is physically impossible to see what color the light is.
At a few intersections I deal with, trucks have difficulty turning onto the road I'm on if I stop right at the line.

Last edited by elnina; 08-14-2015 at 05:12 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
They probably can't wait to get on their phone and text or look at Facebook.
I bet that's the reason
Seems like women are the worst about this

Old 08-15-2015, 01:50 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
I've noticed this too, but wonder if they are transplants from other cities where bikers and pedestrians are the norm? The reason I say this is they times I have been in other cities where bikers and pedestrians almost equal the number of cars on the road...all the cars stop significantly further back from the cross walks to give those bikers and pedestrians more room to cross the street. Wonder if it's just a habit?

Old 08-15-2015, 02:07 AM

657 posts, read 739,660 times
I dont do that and honk if someone is in front of me that far back

Old 08-15-2015, 08:05 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Trouble

Some people want to avoid the trouble, some have warrants, no insurance, no papers, etc. They don't want to do anything, including going the speed limit, that might get them in trouble. Some appreciate the stop because they are "busy" texting, or talking on the phone.

I usually leave a good distance between cars myself, only to be able to have space in case I am rear-ended, or have to switch lanes for what ever reason, especially in seedy parts of town. I don't want to be boxed in.

One other explanation that may be valid is we are getting more, and more people from out of state who's habits, and laws are different. For example, people in California seem to know that when you come to a stop at an intersection, if you are going straight, you get in the left lane to allow people behind you to make a right turn; good courtesy.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:13 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I see that all the time and also where they leave at least a car length between them and the car in front of them at a red light. DRIVES ME NUTS ! Close it up, for God's sake so everyone gets a chance to make the light before it turns red, especially in turning lanes.

One time a guy left so much room in front of him that I went around him and pulled my car into that space. Not sure if it gave him the hint, but it sure felt good !

We were just traveling yesterday and saw car after car stopped way back from the one in front, and we can't figure out why they do it.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: