Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 10:49 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times

Advertisements

Hello,

While moving out I got a bill of around 600 citing stove replacement charges and odor removal charges. Even though the stove was in perfect working condition, it was a just a discoloration on the top . And as usual that threatening addendums at the end ( performance bond, credit score , collection etc).

Is it justified? What is other ways with which I can negotiate? I also paid a NR deposit during leasing in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:32 AM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
probably need more info. just because it works doesn't mean anything. Did you cause the discoloration? What odors where they removing?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
probably need more info. just because it works doesn't mean anything. Did you cause the discoloration? What odors where they removing?
It was an induction cooktop and a brown layer was formed around the coils. I scrubbed it as much I can but some of them still remain. The cooking area is clean, just the area around the circumference.

Please see this link to get an idea ( only the outer part) .

How to clean Glass Cooktop ? - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Odor - I do not know, just a rip off charge.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:59 PM

483 posts, read 654,760 times
I lost one apartment deposit years back for bogas(and way overpriced) things. As far as I know, its totally legal, maybe not ethical, but legal all the same. Especially if you don't have any proof of a clean apartment.

Now I take pictures of the apartment AND do a walk through with a leasing agent, which I record on my cell phone(audio only). They typically have to schedule a walk through so you have to go to them a few weeks before move out.

Other then some small charges(mostly caused by our dogs) I've never lost a whole deposit or been over charged for something again.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:23 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
Did you try a razor blade on it? that probably would have taken it off.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:47 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
It was an induction cooktop and a brown layer was formed around the coils. I scrubbed it as much I can but some of them still remain. The cooking area is clean, just the area around the circumference.

Please see this link to get an idea ( only the outer part) .

How to clean Glass Cooktop ? - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Odor - I do not know, just a rip off charge.
That is B.S. and a complete waste of a perfectly good cooktop. Chances are they'll just get it professionally cleaned and rip you off. They're probably hurting for money and will try to get by with whatever they can. Very unethical.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:58 PM

30 posts, read 46,277 times
In my experience with Houston landlord, you can try to fight it, but it's probably not worth your time. The slummy ones tend to do stuff like this, the bigger companies/higher rent, not as much. I personally wouldn't fight it, would move on, and chalk up the cost to a lesson learned from living in apartments with crappy landlords, and then write a terrible review about to company online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: