Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 03:16 PM

40 posts, read 50,156 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what's going into the strip center next to CVS on Cinco & Spring Green? It went up really quickly and will have quite a few stores. At this rate, it'll be up and running before the new Krispy Kreme on 6 opens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,773,570 times
Nail. Dental. Cleaners. Restaurant. Donut place and something else.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:46 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,446 times
Goodwill donation center, too.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:21 AM

454 posts, read 1,586,101 times
Probably all the same crap that is in every other strip center in Katy.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:31 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,773,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
Goodwill donation center, too.
that was it.. thanks.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 AM

302 posts, read 955,287 times
who supports all of these strip malls? I mean, yes I'll eat donuts once or twice a month... and the wife will get her nails done every other week... but how do these businesses manage to open and stay open in almost every corner of katy?

If there was a line at every other Donut shop you could understand the need for another one, but you don't see the demand...

I just hope that these places don't sit empty for years to come once they finally reach the tipping point....

And while I'm at it... can we please have some variety? it's all the same

Old 08-31-2015, 09:38 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrod8 View Post
who supports all of these strip malls? I mean, yes I'll eat donuts once or twice a month... and the wife will get her nails done every other week... but how do these businesses manage to open and stay open in almost every corner of katy?

If there was a line at every other Donut shop you could understand the need for another one, but you don't see the demand...

I just hope that these places don't sit empty for years to come once they finally reach the tipping point....

And while I'm at it... can we please have some variety? it's all the same
The typical nail salon / Subway / Donut Shop / Dry Cleaners (and businesses of that ilk) is fairly cheap to operate. Strip centers will often incentivize with cheaper rents for the first "X" years of operation, which attract equally cheap businesses. These are also fairly inexpensive businesses to start up for foreign business owners looking to start their first business venture. So this is more like "Supply-Side Economics", where there isn't necessarily demand for these 4 staple businesses ad nauseum, but their is certainly incentive to supply the market said goods.

Basically, if your rent is low, don't expect the Ritz to show up.

If LocalPlanner is reading this thread, he/she may be able to comment further on this.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:14 PM

833 posts, read 1,886,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
The typical nail salon / Subway / Donut Shop / Dry Cleaners (and businesses of that ilk) is fairly cheap to operate. Strip centers will often incentivize with cheaper rents for the first "X" years of operation, which attract equally cheap businesses. These are also fairly inexpensive businesses to start up for foreign business owners looking to start their first business venture. So this is more like "Supply-Side Economics", where there isn't necessarily demand for these 4 staple businesses ad nauseum, but their is certainly incentive to supply the market said goods.

Basically, if your rent is low, don't expect the Ritz to show up.

If LocalPlanner is reading this thread, he/she may be able to comment further on this.
Strip Centers in South Katy are not cheap. I was personally looking not too long ago to expand our pet sitting company and open a dogie day care and luxury pet hotel and they all wanted a lot per sqft.

However nail salons, donut shops and dry cleaners all have very little overhead and don't require tons of sqft with high markup vs cost and can quickly turn a profit even with high rent if they provide a good service with repeat business.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
These little businesses require pretty small market areas to turn a profit, often have a pretty limited workforce to pay (sometimes the owner works as staff), and can adjust prices pretty easily to cover input costs without customers fleeing to the competition (which is probably doing the same thing). Often capital is family-provided so they don't have the same debt structure as many businesses. Perfect set up for a small neighborhood strip-center space.

Are "eyelash and eyebrow studios" now the new thing? What in the world happens in these businesses?

Old 09-01-2015, 07:30 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
Strip Centers in South Katy are not cheap. I was personally looking not too long ago to expand our pet sitting company and open a dogie day care and luxury pet hotel and they all wanted a lot per sqft.

However nail salons, donut shops and dry cleaners all have very little overhead and don't require tons of sqft with high markup vs cost and can quickly turn a profit even with high rent if they provide a good service with repeat business.
When I said "cheap", I meant relative to somewhere like La Centerra or Sugar Land Town Center. I agree that strip centers in "South Katy" (sic) probably command a premium over their counterparts in other areas of Fort Bend County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston