Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 02:28 PM

657 posts, read 739,931 times

Advertisements

Kansas City looks like the boonies in that picture. Maybe put up Chicago, LA or a concrete jungle to better compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 02:30 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I could care less if visitors are too dumb to realize the entire Houston area isn't just like our freeways or that sometimes function trumps form.
However, so many of Houston's major thoroughfares are similar in appearance to the freeways:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7373...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7291...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8085...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6957...7i13312!8i6656

Old 09-08-2015, 02:38 PM

657 posts, read 739,931 times
^^so is LA but you dont hear people constantly complaining.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
However, so many of Houston's major thoroughfares are similar in appearance to the freeways:
And?

The reason I chose to live out in the xburbs is to have pretty scenery at home.

I could care less if I see strip centers and gas stations on my way to work or on my way to a gas station or strip center.

BTW, have you driven on a major thoroughfare in LA or San Diego? You get those same types of views. Sure you might not get them on the freeways, but so, you still get them.

What I really find humorous is that a lot of people who comment about this issue are the same ones who make fun of The Woodlands, which is one of the few places that makes a point of hiding commercial structures and signage while keeping the natural facade.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...c3df5d!6m1!1e1

Old 09-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
And?

The reason I chose to live out in the xburbs is to have pretty scenery at home.

I could care less if I see strip centers and gas stations on my way to work or on my way to a gas station or strip center.

BTW, have you driven on a major thoroughfare in LA or San Diego? You get those same types of views. Sure you might not get them on the freeways, but so, you still get them.

What I really find humorous is that a lot of people who comment about this issue are the same ones who make fun of The Woodlands, which is one of the few places that makes a point of hiding commercial structures and signage while keeping the natural facade.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...c3df5d!6m1!1e1
A couple of things:

- It's every person's prerogative to live where they want. My point is that Houstonians should not be surprised when so many visitors find the city ugly.
- Personally, I am not drawn to SoCal. I find it ugly and sprawling. To me, it's just Houston on steroids.
- I have zero interest in a debate on The Woodlands. Anyone who wishes to do so, however, should follow the thread link you provided.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
A couple of things:

- It's every person's prerogative to live where they want. My point is that Houstonians should not be surprised when so many visitors find the city ugly.
- Personally, I am not drawn to SoCal. I find it ugly and sprawling. To me, it's just Houston on steroids.
- I have zero interest in a debate on The Woodlands. Anyone who wishes to do so, however, should follow the thread link you provided.
Part of living in the majority of major cities is that they aren't going to be pretty everywhere.

The real reason why Houston is considered ugly is because of geography. It's located in a flat area that was built primarily on a swamp next to a prairie with nothing of interest in the background.

BTW, Houston didn't even make it in these ugly city surveys:

America's 8 Ugliest Cities

America

Old 09-08-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
The real reason why Houston is considered ugly is because of geography. It's located in a flat area that was built primarily on a swamp next to a prairie with nothing of interest in the background.

BTW, Houston didn't even make it in these ugly city surveys:

America's 8 Ugliest Cities

America
While topography doesn't help, many cities are on flat land and are not judged to be as ugly as Houston, including Dallas, Tampa, Denver, Portland, Tucson, Boston, San Diego, and Miami to name a few. Yes, each of them has their ugly areas but overall, they don't carry the reputation of being ugly. I'm sure others disagree with my list. That's fine.

I don't waste time on these clcik-through lists.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
While topography doesn't help, many cities are on flat land and are not judged to be as ugly as Houston, including Dallas, Tampa, Denver, Portland, Tucson, Boston, San Diego, and Miami to name a few. Yes, each of them has their ugly areas but overall, they don't carry the reputation of being ugly. I'm sure others disagree with my list. That's fine.

Well, if you clicked on that first list, you'd see Dallas is ranked as the second ugliest US city.

Let's consider the other cities you've listed.

Tampa is located right on the water.

Denver has the mountains in the background.

Portland has the mountains in the background.

Tucson has the mountains in the background.

Boston is on right on the water.

San Diego is right on the water.

Miami is right on the water.

Do you notice a trend here yet?

Old 09-08-2015, 03:44 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times
Quote:

The subtropical bayou, swamp, coastal plain, and forest landscape of Houston is actually an interesting deviation from the landscape typically thought of when people think of the US. The land may be flat, but its full of feature. Some times people criticize the flat scenery, but, in the end, that's not where a lot of the baggage goes; rather, it is the sprawling, cluttered environment. With that, I agree with you; London, Paris, Chicago, Orlando, NYC, New Orleans, Savannah, etc all are flat, but you never hear talk about how those cities "lack scenery, or are so ugly." New Orleans, which has pretty much the same general landscape as Houston, managed to find itself as the setting of a Disney film.

With that said, I don't think Houston's reputation for "ugliness" is any worse than that for many other sunbelt cities.

Quote:
Well, if you clicked on that first list, you'd see Dallas is ranked as the second ugliest US city.

Let's consider the other cities you've listed.

Tampa is located right on the water.

Denver has the mountains in the background.

Portland has the mountains in the background.

Tucson has the mountains in the background.

Boston is on right on the water.

San Diego is right on the water.

Miami is right on the water.

Do you notice a trend here yet?
That doesn't matter; London and Paris aren't located by huge bodies of water, nor do they have huge mountains, and they aren't considered ugly. Neither is Orlando. New Orleans sits right on the muddy Mississippi, and yet managed to cultivate the charm to end up as a Disney setting.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 09-08-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 03:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
Feeder roads are awesome. They offer convenience while allowing continued flow if something happens to close the lanes on the freeway.

Have you driven in cities like Pittsburgh or LA where you have to completely depart the freeway in order to get gas or locate a business? No thank you; the idea of having to exit and wander through side streets in hopes of locating what you need is a horrible idea, IMHO.
They are one of the most contributing factors to sprawl, though, in how they promote extremely low density, linear development, rather close-in infill and density. They also cause as much congestion as they relieve (and pollution) slowing traffic on and off the freeway, and acting as a parallel business route.

Prevailing design theory is against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston