U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:40 PM

2,052 posts, read 4,957,842 times

Advertisements

To expand on the Jersey Village market area, you have Winchester Country, Winchester Village, Westbridge, Willow Point, and possibly some in the Willowlake subdivisions, all well maintained subdivisions with homes in the mid to upper 100's.

Steeplechase, parts of Harvest Bend, Wortham Park and a few others in the 77064 and 77065 zips a bit further out are decent too and in the sub $200K range. But most of the areas with homes under $150K around me, with the exception of Winchester, I would not be interested in unless that was all I could afford. Just a bit too old or too many rentals and not enough pride in their neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 02:01 PM

657 posts, read 615,129 times
You can turn an older house into a great fixer upper in a blue collar neighborhood in the city for that price.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 PM

2,969 posts, read 2,442,327 times
There are also new builds, even inside the Beltway, in the target price range on the south side. Also between Greenspoint and Cypress Creek Parkway. Buyers just have to be OK with schools that have poor reputations.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:36 PM

216 posts, read 228,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corridor Chick View Post
This was our price range when we were shopping for a home in the summer of 2013. We were able to find something in 77077 then, but ours was one of the last houses to list in our neighborhood with a price under 200K. I think, as a previous poster mentioned, Briar Park may still have a few, but that is it. When we refinanced, our house did appraise for over 200K.

My SO works off the Beltway near 290, and he has said there are still bargains to be found in the Westbranch subdivision. I work in Sugar Land, so I'm more familiar with that area. Neighborhoods zoned to better schools in that price range include the Highlands part of First Colony, Barrington Place, Covington Woods (I know people who live in the latter two who would recommend, despite concerns posters here have about safety), and possibly Village of Oak Lake.

We're glad we made the change from renting to owning when we did, otherwise one of us would have probably ended up with a really crappy commute!
Adding that, within First Colony but in zip 77479, Chimneystone and Settlers Park would also fall into that price range.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:47 PM

645 posts, read 707,238 times
Glenshire in Southwest Houston is a great neighborhood to look at also. It is in the city of Houston, but the western edge of the neighborhood bumps up to the Stafford and Fort Bend county lines. The neighborhood is divided into 2 sections by the beltway, East and West. East is inside the beltaway and is now mostly over $200k, West is outside the belt and still has some in the $150-200k range. The amenities such as pools, tennis courts, community building, and playgrounds are well kept and the HOA is still very strong. The schools are not the best in HISD and many of the families here use the magnet program to go to other HISD schools, most go to ones around Meyerland such as Kolter, Parker, Johnston, and Bellaire HS.

Meadows Place and the older 70's neighborhoods in Sugar Land south of West Airport along Eldridge (such a Sugar Mill and Covington Woods) are also good places to look, along with the older areas of First Colony along Settlers Way.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:49 PM

11 posts, read 14,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
There are also new builds, even inside the Beltway, in the target price range on the south side. Also between Greenspoint and Cypress Creek Parkway. Buyers just have to be OK with schools that have poor reputations.
Hell, now you can even get in south Katy with good schools for under 200k thanks to Tamarron MPC and the DR Horton "Express" line of box homes they offer on the north side of Tamarron.

They are right on the border of south Firethorne and even with connecting roads into Firethorne. Good for those express homes, bad for those Firethorne homes.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:08 PM

55 posts, read 69,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
In the SW part of Houston : meadows place (my other top pick),parts of robindell,the far south part of westbury

My top pick is West Memorial or Cimmaron in Katy.

West Houston: briar park (my other top pick), Ashford park (schools in AliefISD although the elementary is fine)

West AliefISD zoned to Rees elementary(best elementary in AliefISD, very safe and good kids) it's the pocket neighborhoods west of Highway 6 and 1093.

Parts of spring branch, north of I10.

Parts of Jersey Village.
Which parts of Spring Branch north of I-10? I'm from out of state and I need to live near the Monarch School but everything I'm finding online looks....... uninhabitable..... I'm willing to get a fixer upper but with a max budget of $230k, that fixer upper would have to be pretty cheap.

What type of neighborhoods are north of the I-10 that all those SBISD schools would be rated a 1 or 2 on Great Schools? Is it heavily ESL or something that would make test scores drop? Thanks!

Old 09-09-2015, 02:55 PM

6,678 posts, read 7,016,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids7states View Post
Which parts of Spring Branch north of I-10? I'm from out of state and I need to live near the Monarch School but everything I'm finding online looks....... uninhabitable..... I'm willing to get a fixer upper but with a max budget of $230k, that fixer upper would have to be pretty cheap.

What type of neighborhoods are north of the I-10 that all those SBISD schools would be rated a 1 or 2 on Great Schools? Is it heavily ESL or something that would make test scores drop? Thanks!
They get snapped up pretty quick, but sometimes you can get a fixer upper in spring shadows, west branch, and others closer to Cy fair. I think you might be priced out of Afton oaks up there, which used to be very reasonable.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:40 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,480,732 times
Good thread. This is the kind of thread that makes Houston a great affordable place to live.
There are so many wonderful neighborhood in the 150-300k range.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:12 AM

42 posts, read 86,358 times
I would say south of I-10 and 99 near george bush park (it has a shooting range and a lot of outdoor things to do). Will be closer to 200 though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or