Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 03:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
I'm not fighting for United as much as I am for IAH, which since it's inception has been the international airport for the the Houston area. And Houston is not of the same magnitude or mass that the NYC, or San Fran, or Chicago markets are which can support multiple international airports. And maybe they can't fly wide-bodies out of Hobby, but those 737s get more and more range every year. I mean Southwest is just not flying to Mexico, they are also going to central American and trust me South America will be next.
They should have stayed with the DFW model, that is now that they finally got rid of the Wright Amendment at Love, and just kept their international service to one airport with unlimited domestic at both.
I only live 15 minutes from Hobby vs. 30 minutes from Bush, and I wont use Hobby. I dont like the airport at all. Its not an anti-Southwest thing, I just dont like Hobby. I didnt like Love Field either.

DFW was my favorite airport to ever have as a home airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 03:52 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,410,427 times
Quote:
I'm not fighting for United as much as I am for IAH, which since it's inception has been the international airport for the the Houston area. And Houston is not of the same magnitude or mass that the NYC, or San Fran, or Chicago markets are which can support multiple international airports. And maybe they can't fly wide-bodies out of Hobby, but those 737s get more and more range every year. I mean Southwest is just not flying to Mexico, they are also going to central American and trust me South America will be next.
They should have stayed with the DFW model, that is now that they finally got rid of the Wright Amendment at Love, and just kept their international service to one airport with unlimited domestic at both.
Jim, the thing is you are fighting a battle that is over. The international terminal at Hobby is up and running. Haven't you seen all those Southwest commercials on Houston TV saying "Houston you have an option" ? You need to start looking forward to the next challenge....

Last edited by Jack Lance; 09-11-2015 at 04:23 PM..

Old 09-11-2015, 05:16 PM

556 posts, read 1,080,278 times
these threads are always fun.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:21 AM

954 posts, read 1,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Jim, the thing is you are fighting a battle that is over. The international terminal at Hobby is up and running. Haven't you seen all those Southwest commercials on Houston TV saying "Houston you have an option" ? You need to start looking forward to the next challenge....
Which is ?

Old 09-12-2015, 06:32 AM

954 posts, read 1,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I only live 15 minutes from Hobby vs. 30 minutes from Bush, and I wont use Hobby. I dont like the airport at all. Its not an anti-Southwest thing, I just dont like Hobby. I didnt like Love Field either.

DFW was my favorite airport to ever have as a home airport.
I rarely fly international anymore so don't need an airport with those kinds of destinations for my present life-style.
I flew American thru DFW a few years ago and wow they've really changed and improved that facility.
But my favorite airports are probably DEN and ATL where I worked at once in the past.
My only issue with Southwest is the cattle-car situation: I'd much prefer the assigned seating arrangement.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:56 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,174,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I think we have two good airports. Hobby to me is slightly easier to transit the terminal. Probably because it's so much smaller.

Quote:
I rarely fly international anymore so don't need an airport with those kinds of destinations for my present life-style.
I flew American thru DFW a few years ago and wow they've really changed and improved that facility.
But my favorite airports are probably DEN and ATL where I worked at once in the past.
My only issue with Southwest is the cattle-car situation: I'd much prefer the assigned seating arrangement.
Agree on every point. I fly several routes that SW covers (DEN, ATL and more), and will usually fly anyone but them. Can't stand their boarding process.

Denver and Atlanta are two great airports. Huge as they are, if you know them, you can get in & out quickly. They are well laid out. People complain about both, but I like them.

I haven't flown DFW in maybe 10+ years. Even as a connector.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:51 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,410,427 times
Quote:
Which is ?
I'm sure you will let us know when the Houston Airport System is about to make another wrong move Jim...

Old 09-13-2015, 05:54 PM

1,903 posts, read 3,201,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winningTX View Post
You're completely on target in my opinion. I live literally 5 miles from a UA hub, but tend to fly AA over UA (and sometimes DL, but not as much recently).

With that said, I do think UA gets a bit of a bad rap. They're not terrible, just - uninspiring and blase. I also think that most of the other airlines still do a better job in onboard service overall, but UA isn't as bad as they're made out to be.

Smisek had a hell of an opportunity with the merger and blew it. UA had the opportunity to truly set themselves apart in terms of service, branding, and many other things but squandered it.

And that's why, fair or not, many people still view them as a bit of a mess.
United under Smisek has been it so much harder, onerous, and more expensive for families with children to have a pleasant flying experience. No issues traveling myself on business with my carry on and precheck boarding pass. When I'm with kids, they have luggage, car seats, and are too little to sit by themselves. United has made it all hell. The latest and greatest is the 3 step checked bag process - chasing after kids, luggage falling down, people staring. Used to be waiting in a line and inching everything up - not great but manageable. Used to be curb side check in which was great for families but that went away too.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:12 PM

43 posts, read 49,851 times
Why does United cancel priority boarding for families with young kids?

Old 09-14-2015, 05:22 PM

241 posts, read 583,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
My dad was a CO employee who worked in Houston when the merger happened. His job was moved to Chicago once they became UA.

Trust me, I hear no end to the stories of what United did wrong, and for the most part I agree.

United saw itself as the company who was taking over a weaker company, and many of its decisions were dismissive of the way CO did business. It wasn't a smart move.

I'm glad I'm not the only CO platinum business traveler who doesn't care for UA. Southwest has way more of my loyalty now than UA.
Are you aware that CEO Smisek and something like 7 of the top 10 people at the new "United" were Continental employees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston