Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 AM

61 posts, read 99,820 times

Advertisements

LOL.. I'm sure that's what I get for "partying," in Dallas. I was in my 20's. And yes, it's a true story. It's a tad underwhelming to be fabrication. It was an ad industry party at the home of a set designer. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 12:41 PM

Hi there. I thought I would stop by and submit an update regarding my continuing journey within the experience that is Baytown.

When my son and I first moved to Baytown, not knowing anyone other than my coworkers, I plunked us down in the nicest, gated apartment community I could find. And while, it was nice, and expensive, it was still close to the Exxon plan. Really close. If you suffer from a sensitivity to airborne allergens and pollutants, I would strongly suggest moving to, oh, I don't know, Canada.

Baytown literally is at the epicenter of the petrochemical universe. Truly, that is not an overstatement. The municipal footprint of this community represents a global economic powerhouse when it comes to the engines of the petrochemical refining industry. Ironically, it provides SUCH a good living to its employees but puts so much junk into the environment. It is one of the conundrums of our day -- how to balance the right of the individual to a good wage that provides a desirable quality of life for their families against the state of our environment? I struggle with this regularly. I believe in both. It's a state of conflict that really gives me pause and, sadly, has me thinking about moving out of the area after having only worked here less than a year. And I really don't want to as we've just bought a house in the Mont Belvieu area.

I'll pick up the Mont Belvieu thread in my next post. Cheers for now.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:34 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,886,798 times
Thinking of moving out of the entire Houston area or just the east side? You could always move farther from work and just bare the longer commute.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:43 PM

Yep. You know, I really hate commuting. I've done that for long stints off and on throughout my career. So, for now, it's the Mont Belvieu area. Bought a house. Son starts school next week in Barbers Hill, which, as I'm sure you probably know, is a really strong school system. The school district, property values and the Chambers County tax rate all colluded to convince me that this move made the most sense for us.

We're still close enough to Houston to enjoy what the urban center has to offer. On a Saturday or Sunday I can get downtown and parked in about 45 minutes. Which, to me, is great. The down side to the Mont Belvieu move is that as the subdivision we moved into is brand new there's no established green space or mature trees. And you can't escape the refineries out here. But, honestly, Houston's air quality in general is challenged at best. If I could take Crosby, and template the green space there over the green space where we are, I'd be a happy camper.

Nonetheless, feeling satisfied.

I'll reiterate some of my comments from several months ago to anyone reading this for perspective. First, it will present it's own set of hardships at first, but if you can manage it, rent before you decide where you're going to land with some permanence when moving into this area (Baytown). While you're renting, get out and really spend some time in the surrounding areas.

When I first started looking in the area I was convinced that Clear Lake was where we needed to be. That primarily had to do with the school system, proximity to work and the cultural diversity to be found there. But real estate in my price range, while it generally meant good bones, slightly higher end and located in established, wooded neighborhoods almost exclusively needed some serious rehab. While not averse to it, renovation projects were just not something I wanted to do at the moment. (Been there. Done that.) Also, I became concerned about access and travel time. As a single mom and working in Baytown, the thought of not being able to get to my child in a reasonable amount of time should the Hartman bridge get closed was bothersome. (I would have had to shoot up to I10 and come back down extending travel time to at least 45 minutes. For me, that wasn't acceptable). From Mont Belvieu, my work commute is usually under 20 minutes. My son's school is less than five minutes from our house. And, as I mentioned earlier, the Barbers Hill School District is one of the best in the state.

If you have a children and a spouse and your job brings you to Baytown, and you decide you might want to live elsewhere, League City, Atascocita,Crosby and of course Clear Lake are all strong contenders.

I hope some of this has been helpful to anyone stopping by for insight. The Baytown area will continue to see a boom -- there's no doubt. It is literally at the epicenter of the petrochemical universe. The largest refiners in the world maintain operations here. It's also located near enough to some desirable areas to give you options.

Cheers! And best of luck.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:23 AM

125 posts, read 197,205 times
Mont Belvieu is just as close to chevron and the former bayer plant as any part of baytown is. Mont Belvieu does have better schools. I grew up and lived in Baytown for 25 years. Never noticed any airborne allergens.
Clear Lake is not culturally diverse compared to Baytown. Clear Lake is much more of a one note community.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:05 AM

1,636 posts, read 1,214,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
Mont Belvieu is just as close to chevron and the former bayer plant as any part of baytown is. Mont Belvieu does have better schools. I grew up and lived in Baytown for 25 years. Never noticed any airborne allergens.
Clear Lake is not culturally diverse compared to Baytown. Clear Lake is much more of a one note community.
A town that is crawling with Mexicans who can't speak English, beer brawling skinheads and other outlaw thug types don't make a place "culturally diverse". Baytown is a culturally void, polluted trash dump and that is sad in a way because it had the potential to be the most lush, desirable place in all of Southeast Texas. However there is serious cash to be made there, especially nowadays.

On the other hand there are a lot of Asians, Arabs and Europeans living down in Clear Lake due to NASA and the petrochemical industry engineers. It is surprisingly a nice hood but too "lowland" and some parts are too close to industry for me to consider living there.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. But that's not my take. I know NASA employees in Clear Lake from India, the UK, Japan and Norway. They have all enriched my experience and perspective since arriving in the area. And I would assert my experience is just as valid as anyone else's. It's about what matters to me and what I find most relevant, as I am sure is the same for you.

Additionally, t's a fact that for both my son and I, air quality is indeed improved. Prevailing winds and the fact we are no longer living a stone's throw from Exxon has as much to do with it as anything else, I suspect. And as I'm sure you are aware, airborne particulates do not have to be allergens in order to irritate sinus and lung tissues. There's all kinds of construction and expansion going on in Baytown that contributes to air quality.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:15 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,579,566 times
Mont Belvieu is close to some very big gas plants. They are no stranger to deadly explosions and had some sort of leak+fireball incident there about a month ago that forced some people out of their homes. Otherwise I think gas plants are pretty clean running unless there is some sort of release. And heavy construction in general is tough work. You have a lot of dirt flying around, a little bit of metallic dust, and all kinds of other nice stuff when they try to get those facilities running. Also keep in mind between late fall and early spring the wind changes directions, and comes from the northwest to the northeast instead of the southeast to the southwest.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:22 PM

Yes, there is no ideal situation. That is a fact. I am bound here for at least the next three years.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:26 PM

125 posts, read 197,205 times
Chevron plant is no more than 3 miles from Mont Belvieu.
Clear Lake is over 50% white. GCCISD is 50% Hispanic.
Just depends on what you mean by culturally diverse I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston