Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,006 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Houston area sometime next year. I've heard and read that Rosenberg is an up/coming area. Any comments/opinions would be appreciated. My husband and I are both 45 with two kids, a boy (9) and a girl (5). We are looking at a private school for them. Our house budget would be around $500K. Any comments on the Richmond area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 AM

66 posts, read 98,110 times
Richmond is a growing area, and when the Westpark Tollway extension is finished it will help with traffic. At one time, I was planning to build there. The rush hour slam chased me away....

Rosenberg is much more rural, and zoning is sporadic. Area around Brazos River flooded in this year's heavy rains. I would also avoid bayous, same reason. If you like country living, Rosenberg does offer nice tract of land opportunities, but recon the neighborhood first. Go at night and on weekends to see real deal. Choose carefully. Long commute can be a factor if you workaday still.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:33 AM

191 posts, read 533,300 times
I haven been living in Rosenberg area since 2012 . Area around Brazos town center growing very fast ..

Old 09-14-2015, 09:38 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,793,795 times
Richmond

Old 09-14-2015, 10:03 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,887,218 times
Rosenberg isn't really all that rural anymore. There is a huge shopping center on both sides of the interstate and there is an outlet mall going in also. There are large new subdivisions going in south of US-59. There are some nice established neighborhoods in Rosenberg, but be careful. Often, there are some not-so-nice neighborhoods fairly close by. As CountryCowboy said, there isn't zoning in Rosenberg, so unless you don't mind a business opening next to you, its probably best to make sure you by in an area with deed or HOA restrictions.

Richmond is similar to Rosenberg, though smaller. Most of the "Richmond" housing stock is not actually in Richmond - they just happen to have a Richmond postal address. Like Rosenberg, there are some very nice established neighborhoods in town. Keep in mind that the property taxes in Richmond city limits are much higher than what you would pay in surrounding cities.

You are right to send your kids to private school. There doesn't seem to be much discipline in the Houston area public schools. You can send your kids to Holy Rosary (Catholic) through 8th grade I think. I believe Calvary Episcopal goes all the way through high school.

Don't worry too much about the Brazos River flooding. Do your due diligence and check the flood maps for any property you are interested in. They can be found on the county's website.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:35 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,013,248 times
In the past floods more homes not in a flood plain flooded. Flood maps then dont mean much.

Recent story by Rosenberg that hit the news is the coal powered plant there. Apparently its been gushing fumes beyond what even the state of texas considers appropriate and the state has the most lax air pollution laws in the country.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:00 PM

174 posts, read 404,453 times
For a budget of 500K, I would suggest you to look at Telfair, Riverstone and New Territory in Sugar Land. Sugar Land has a much more strict zoning than other surrounding cities. For private school in Sugar Land, you can look at fort bend christian academy. Telfair and Riverstone are also zoned to excellent public schools.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:50 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,775,130 times
At that price point -- I would definitely look at Richmond or Sugar Land over Rosenberg. Zips 77406, 77407, 77479, 77478.
And don't buy the most expensive house in the neighborhood. In fact, you might be able to find everything you want for less than your budget, depending on the neighborhood.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:02 PM

2,178 posts, read 3,178,419 times
Outlet mall coming, Brazos Town Center..the south side of Rosenberg is the hottest area...the older part of Rosenberg has an old town feel

Old 09-17-2015, 04:02 AM

739 posts, read 2,125,216 times
I would suggest you look at Royal Lakes Estate in Richmond. Each home sits on an acre or more land with many having lake views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston