Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 02:00 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times

Advertisements

Why can't folks comprehend that discrimination actually happens? I bet they'd have no problems getting in if they just changed one thing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Midtown Discrimination.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	157665

Old 09-14-2015, 02:04 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Why can't folks comprehend that discrimination actually happens? I bet they'd have no problems getting in if they just changed one thing:

Attachment 157665
I doubt that overweight white men dressed in similar fashion are getting in that club for free. I really do.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:31 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
It is important to the business model of this establishment that young pretty Anglo ladies feel comfortable - they are THE key clientele.
This is basically the reason sadly.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:33 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Here's an example of the "Racial Discrimination" in Berlin...

Berghain: how to get into Berlin's most exclusive nightclub - Telegraph

Old 09-14-2015, 02:57 PM

657 posts, read 739,660 times
The facebook comments for the article are very telling. You have to be a fool to not think this bar does not have racist door policies after reading them plus the Yelp reviews!

Old 09-14-2015, 03:01 PM

399 posts, read 641,426 times
This whole thing sounds suspicious. These guys went to the bar and just happened to take pictures outside of themselves. Then observed certain people being charged a cover... Seems like they went there to prove their agenda to me. I have grown up in Houston and Clubs have always had bouncers who decide who gets in, when and if to charge a cover or not. Its all about who you know and if you are a regular. Makes perfect sense to me that they are going to encourage people who are dressed to fit into the club. These guys are certainly well dressed but not necessarily dressed for a well known Houston club. I am sorry but I really fell like this is another way to try and divide our city. Especially seeing our Mayors post saying "see this is why we need HERO" Ridiculous!!!

Old 09-14-2015, 03:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I doubt that overweight white men dressed in similar fashion are getting in that club for free. I really do.
Exactly!

They want to let a certain look in, and as the night progresses, that look gets narrowed quite a bit.

My bet is if they showed up at 9 pm, they would have made it in without issue; and, I'm sorry, but they obviously think they looked better than they did. They may be lawyers, but probably half the people going for an interview at Best Buy dress nicer.

They are a couple of pudgy guys who look to be close to 40 that are dressed in wrinkled clothes from Walmart's Mike Huckabee collection.

They are a couple of black George Costanzas, and without the picture of Man Hands, they aren't going to make it into the Forbidden City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
The facebook comments for the article are very telling. You have to be a fool to not think this bar does not have racist door policies after reading them plus the Yelp reviews!
That's because if you're a white person who doesn't get in or has to pay the cover, you're pissed that you aren't recognized as cool or pretty and go onto Yelp and say the place sucks. However, too many minorities make the automatic assumption it's about race and go to Yelp and post racism.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:48 PM

5,610 posts, read 4,932,339 times
No doubt these silly clubs generally have picky door policies to ensure a "fabulous" clientele, and the majority likely don't discriminate racially (though gender-based is probably the norm). And I'm sure many folks turned away because of that put out bitter comments to disparage them. However, this club and certain others are widely commented on as discriminating ethnically, and noticeably more than other venues - it's hard to believe that there's absolutely no truth to that.

Pretty young Anglo women often require certain conditions to feel comfortable. And pretty young Anglo women attract high-spending young Anglo men like nobody's business. Lose the young pretty Anglo women, lose your revenue. So what's a club owner supposed to do when the stereotypical "pack of Asians" shows up? Just let them in? We all know how this works.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:01 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
No doubt these silly clubs generally have picky door policies to ensure a "fabulous" clientele, and the majority likely don't discriminate racially (though gender-based is probably the norm). And I'm sure many folks turned away because of that put out bitter comments to disparage them. However, this club and certain others are widely commented on as discriminating ethnically, and noticeably more than other venues - it's hard to believe that there's absolutely no truth to that.

Pretty young Anglo women often require certain conditions to feel comfortable. And pretty young Anglo women attract high-spending young Anglo men like nobody's business. Lose the young pretty Anglo women, lose your revenue. So what's a club owner supposed to do when the stereotypical "pack of Asians" shows up? Just let them in? We all know how this works.
Exactamundo! A pack of anything, except Anglo, will probably get discriminated against. It's just how it works. Separate yourself from the "pack" and bring the womynz. That's your ticket.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:28 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Exactly!

They want to let a certain look in, and as the night progresses, that look gets narrowed quite a bit.

My bet is if they showed up at 9 pm, they would have made it in without issue; and, I'm sorry, but they obviously think they looked better than they did. They may be lawyers, but probably half the people going for an interview at Best Buy dress nicer.

They are a couple of pudgy guys who look to be close to 40 that are dressed in wrinkled clothes from Walmart's Mike Huckabee collection.

They are a couple of black George Costanzas, and without the picture of Man Hands, they aren't going to make it into the Forbidden City.

That's because if you're a white person who doesn't get in or has to pay the cover, you're pissed that you aren't recognized as cool or pretty and go onto Yelp and say the place sucks. However, too many minorities make the automatic assumption it's about race and go to Yelp and post racism.
So I used to take care of myself but I've kinda let myself go sadly the past 3-4 years, long story short I'm a little pudgy, and my wardrobe is outdated and doesn't fit me well at all, and I was able to get into Gaslamp in July first time going there in years wearing khaki shorts and a t-shirt that didn't really fit. I'm sure the fact that I'm white and look well-to-do has nothing to do with it.. On another occasion there (years ago), I've had a very well-dressed friend who was black get denied entry, and it was a huge group of 5 girls and 3 guys, everyone got in fine except him and he was the only black guy, despite the fact that he was pretty well dressed and has the physique of a body builder. Perhaps it's circumstantial, but it certainly doesn't seem so if you go down and experience it for yourself. While we're on the subject, I've also seen some discrimination at Red Door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston