Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 11:58 AM

360 posts, read 665,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket01 View Post
Key2thecity, have you already started looking at homes? Are you just looking in pearland?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket01 View Post
Alvin ISD and Friendswood ISD are also in close proximity to the pearland area
Hi there... we've just started looking. I'm in O & G with a layoff looming so we're considering moving closer to the spouse's family and job. He works in the Med Center and I've been interested in the medical field for some time, so we figure Pearland is a good locale if the schools are good. He is from Clear Lake so we're also considering Clear Lake and Friendswood. Do you have any other recommendations for good diverse neighborhoods/areas/schools on that side of town? I'm not really happy about this move, but it does make sense for us. I'll be more comfortable if I know my daughter will be in a great school and friendly area like she's accustomed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 06:10 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
And your evidence of gang problems is documented where.....??
Good question, because I've heard of this gang problem since i went there...in 1996-7.

I didn't get mowed down, either.

Also, for Alvin ISD being "apparently not good", it seems to rate okay.

Manvel High School Recognized

Pearland schools aren't all top-notch, btw.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Good question, because I've heard of this gang problem since i went there...in 1996-7.

I didn't get mowed down, either.

Also, for Alvin ISD being "apparently not good", it seems to rate okay.

Manvel High School Recognized

Pearland schools aren't all top-notch, btw.
I have talked to parents of kids at Manvel and they are pretty much not pleased with the violence they have seen. No, not all kids are like that, but there is a perception of danger.

The funny thing about the Pearland list is that I disagree with the ratings on several of the schools. Some I just find too overcrowded despite the good ratings. This is on greatschools.com and some of the ratings seem to be by students who hate Sam Jamison. What they say is simply untrue. The kids are not walking in lines, etc. all day. I know because two of my grandkids went there. I also like PJHsouth better than PJHwest - but the gifted academy is at West so that skews the perceptions. As a whole PISD ranks very well, but as always schools vary and you will find parents and kids who like or dislike particular schools. Jamison is a TEA recognized campus too.

Alvin has good and bad schools and the elementaries on the Shadow Creek Ranch side seem fine, but Nolan Ryan is only ok, imNsho. And Manvel high is more on a par with Pearland High and not with Dawson. Turner is too new to really rate, but I know some teachers there and they are quite good.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:10 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
uh Alvin HS has latino gang problems for a very long time. Don't think because its out in the sticks its full of white red necks.
shortel, Shadow Creek Ranch residents go to Manvel High, not Alvin High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston