Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times

Advertisements

O/T I've always wondered how you get those subtitles under your names in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 12:12 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
YOu have to change it in your user profile. Take it from me, don't use the title "Not Banned."

Old 01-29-2008, 12:36 PM

16 posts, read 44,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
Also check out dawnmountain.org if you're interested in Buddhism, and groundenergy.com for Melanie Harrell, reiki practitioner. Melanie is very nice, and may be able to give you more insight on practicing reiki in Houston.

'll post other resources as I think of them.
I googled Dawn Mountain and the Zen Center mentioned by someone else and they both look great and I shot Melanie an email, she will certainly have practical experience to speak from - I also saw that there is a Unity Church as well... thanks for the input everyone. It's tricky because I am an intensely spiritual person (hence my being a Spriitual Practitioner) but I wouldn't describe myself as a very religious person. Here in LA I have a spiritual community that is huge - over 6,000 members but it doesn't feel like a religion...we have self identified Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists you name it all coming to services. I just hope I can find somethng that feels as open as Agape does in Houston. And if not maybe I'll just have to create it!

I have a feeling that we'll have to just go to Houston and walk around and check it out (while holding hands!) and see how it all feels.

Is the weather really as nasty as everyone in their blogs seems to imply? I lived in Miami for 6 months (through a summer) is it comparable?

Peace

Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Move to Montrose. Time to reclaim it from the yuppies, and we need your help.

Keep Montrose *****!

(Take that, Austin.)

Old 01-29-2008, 03:36 PM

197 posts, read 261,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Move to Montrose. Time to reclaim it from the yuppies, and we need your help.

Keep Montrose *****!

(Take that, Austin.)
Hahaha, personally I like the gay yuppies because they like my hot pants and I like their money! (Shhhh...don't tell my boyfriend.)

Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I saw this same post on the Dallas board.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:49 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
While your at visit: I remember Montrose and Westheimer in the 1970's.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I saw this same post on the Dallas board.
She was originally offered a job in Dallas and now another offer has come in from Houston - as I said in the posting - guess Texas is calling!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:01 PM

124 posts, read 700,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanshamanista View Post
I googled Dawn Mountain and the Zen Center mentioned by someone else and they both look great and I shot Melanie an email, she will certainly have practical experience to speak from - I also saw that there is a Unity Church as well... thanks for the input everyone. It's tricky because I am an intensely spiritual person (hence my being a Spriitual Practitioner) but I wouldn't describe myself as a very religious person. Here in LA I have a spiritual community that is huge - over 6,000 members but it doesn't feel like a religion...we have self identified Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists you name it all coming to services. I just hope I can find somethng that feels as open as Agape does in Houston. And if not maybe I'll just have to create it!

I have a feeling that we'll have to just go to Houston and walk around and check it out (while holding hands!) and see how it all feels.

Is the weather really as nasty as everyone in their blogs seems to imply? I lived in Miami for 6 months (through a summer) is it comparable?

Peace
If you are looking for an diverse spiritual place that is inclusive and doesn't follow any religious dogmas, then First Unitarian Universalist First Unitarian Universalist Church of Houston is a great place. It is located near the Museum District. The Unity Church here in Houston is a Christian base church and it leans towards the Christian doctrine. The Universalists will be similar to the spiritual community that you are looking for. People of all faiths, ethnicities, belief systems, and cultures are accepted there. Checkout their website to read more about them.

As far as the weather goes, Houston feels like inland Miami. It does not have the coastal temperatures like in Miami Beach, but it feels like downtown Miami. The humidity here is very intense.

If you are looking for social groups where you can meet people in Houston with similar interests or hobbies, then go to Meetup Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups! They have spiritual groups and other groups that you may like.

Also, I think Montrose, Midtown, Rice Village, The Museum District, and The Heights are neighborhoods that you should explore during your visit to Houston.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose31 View Post
If you are looking for an diverse spiritual place that is inclusive and doesn't follow any religious dogmas, then First Unitarian Universalist First Unitarian Universalist Church of Houston is a great place.

Also, I think Montrose, Midtown, Rice Village, The Museum District, and The Heights are neighborhoods that you should explore during your visit to Houston.
You are right First Unitarian Universalist Church seems like a good match! Thanks.

Rice Village? That's a new one for me...where is that in the city? My partner will be working downtown - is it close?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston