Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:32 PM

657 posts, read 739,660 times

Advertisements

Q&A: An outsider's view on the Houston real estate market - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 10:31 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Economists tend to be idiots w/no money of own (not surprisingly)

Markets solve themselves over time via prices and via choices of buyers/sellers at various prices

Cos. move high-paying jobs to where highest-paid/most talented want to live/work

Well-run, profit-maximizing cos. move lower-end jobs to cheaper, more efficient locales like TX or ThirdWorld, dpdg upon nature of work....for ex., Austin is a huge back-office town for SV cos. like AAPL: no competent, highly paid software engineer would be caught dead in Aus but grt affordable town for lesser-paid back-office guys

Best workers seek jobs/locales where can maximize own self-interest....so best balance of QOL/COL, etc

Commutes are self-solved....most productive tend to commute in off-peak hrs, both AM and PM; and can afford houses in desirable locales nr major offices

And in era of modern tech, anyone competent works from home/wherever and telecommutes when don't have physical mtgs scheduled....much of why traffic is a non-issue in SV, arguably world's wealthiest corridor but heavily populated by workaholics who work from anywhere/anytime, not needing to drive 20mis to some office at some peak-traffic hr amongst the clock-punching lazies....

BTW, laugh abt the affordability nonsense: Hou/DFW/Aus are undoubtedly the world's most efficient places to do business&live for anyone who isn't wealthy; anyone rational uses them as benchmarks of how cheap it is to build new houses/offices/factories/shops, etc etc: in US, NYC, CA, IL, MI, etc are the benchmarks of corrupt, commie places w/absurd costs/taxes for same stuff avail far, far cheaper in TX

Old 09-17-2015, 09:25 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
I hear of workers in silicon valley commuting ugly miles and hours to get to work. If you know houston business quite a bit cannot be done by telecommuting.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:17 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
with the internet and social media today, anyone and anything can have a soundbite in the media. It doesn't mean they have anything intelligent or factual to say.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
These people are here in co-operation with the Kinder Institute for Urban Research at Rice University, so I don't think you can just write them off as irrelevant economist...

Old 09-18-2015, 08:55 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
The U.S. Has a Social Mobility Problem, But Not the One You Think - CityLab

Of all of our ideological disagreements in the U.S. over the state of the economy and how best to improve it for those struggling, one narrative has garnered consistent consensus: It's been getting harder and harder in America to climb the income ladder. President Obama has decried this trend. So has Marco Rubio.

They fear that the U.S. doesn't offer as much social mobility as it once did. A child who works hard today can't expect the same returns as her parents or grandparents once could. This suspicion is troubling – and politically potent – because it undercuts America's claim to be "the land of opportunity."

Old 09-18-2015, 09:58 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Houston is way too spread out. Those disparate business districts hurt connectivity (and thus opportunity). I'm lucky to live on the Westside, where The Galleria and to an extent Greenway Plaza are much closer to me than Downtown, but for the commuters in the east, south, or to a lesser extent north of town trying to get to those two places is a nightmare.

Plus the public transit only runs Downtown, so I would wear out my car driving the entire 20-30 miles door-to-door each way to Galleria/Greenway instead of the 5 miles to the nearest METRO Park & Ride (and the rest to Downtown on a bus without worrying about parking fees, etc). Not to forget about the bumpy roads closer towards town and other miseries of the daily grind in this town!

Plus the selling point about the cheap housing, COL, cost of doing business is eroding. Houston and Texas don't have an advantage outside of that (low prices are always an unsustainable advantage). What happens when the next hotspot pops up and business start leaving here for there to chase the next trend? Where is the sustainable advantage in this town?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:08 AM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston is way too spread out. Those disparate business districts hurt connectivity (and thus opportunity). I'm lucky to live on the Westside, where The Galleria and to an extent Greenway Plaza are much closer to me than Downtown, but for the commuters in the east, south, or to a lesser extent north of town trying to get to those two places is a nightmare.

Plus the public transit only runs Downtown, so I would wear out my car driving the entire 20-30 miles door-to-door each way to Galleria/Greenway instead of the 5 miles to the nearest METRO Park & Ride (and the rest to Downtown on a bus without worrying about parking fees, etc). Not to forget about the bumpy roads closer towards town and other miseries of the daily grind in this town!

Plus the selling point about the cheap housing, COL, cost of doing business is eroding. Houston and Texas don't have an advantage outside of that (low prices are always an unsustainable advantage). What happens when the next hotspot pops up and business start leaving here for there to chase the next trend? Where is the sustainable advantage in this town?
Location is a sustainable advantage is it not ? In the middle of the country on land and sea trade routs. Weather that is business friendly year round, and proximity to natural resources ? What else do you need to be sustainable ?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:10 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
I wouldn't worry about any of that stuff. The things that need to be changed the most, can't, so why push against that mountain? Besides, who is this Zillow's guy, and why should we value what he says? Outsiders often know the least about what's going on (and this guy is supposed to be an outsider).

I'll take a long-time native Houstonian's view, knowledge, and comments any day over some armchaired, stuffy guy locked away in a building. Plus, he's been paid/funded to come up with complaints and negatives to throw around. He has to say negative things, but we don't have to listen or bother.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:15 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The U.S. Has a Social Mobility Problem, But Not the One You Think - CityLab

Of all of our ideological disagreements in the U.S. over the state of the economy and how best to improve it for those struggling, one narrative has garnered consistent consensus: It's been getting harder and harder in America to climb the income ladder. President Obama has decried this trend. So has Marco Rubio.

They fear that the U.S. doesn't offer as much social mobility as it once did. A child who works hard today can't expect the same returns as her parents or grandparents once could. This suspicion is troubling – and politically potent – because it undercuts America's claim to be "the land of opportunity."
I just think it's the nature of empires that rise and then fall. We are on the downward slope for sure.
History is repeating itself, it has happened to all the great empires of the world, and the U.S. will be no different. It's gets big, bloated with bureacracy, debt, and it just can't sustain itself anymore. Look up how Rome fell, it did not do so in one day but was a gradual erosion until it was just a shell of its former glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston