Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:31 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times

Advertisements

Haven't found any threads on this, so please discuss the Houston dating scene here.

I'll be moving there soon, from DC. While there's an abundance of women in DC, I didn't like the dating scene in DC that much, too many self-absorbed people who can be rude at times. They put everything into their careers, leaving little for their own self and their relationships with people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 07:12 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Putting everything into your career is pretty common. This is a great place to work after all. Of our friends who moved here (and DFW) after college and didn't marry their college sweetheart, they are all 29-30 and still single. Many of them left Houston jaded because the dating scene to them wasn't what they hoped for. Our friends these days seem to have more luck with the dating online thing, than sitting around drinking. (Gets old fast.) I was surprised because the results of that haven't been too bad, either.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:25 AM

64 posts, read 413,343 times
I'm single, and in my 30s. I can tell you that its a lot better here than on the west coast. A lot more down to earth good women here in Texas, compared to the west coast. As with anywhere else though, watch for gold diggers!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 AM

I've heard it said all too many times it's a lot better here if you're in your 30s or 40s, as opposed to your 20s. It's much like the freshman vs. senior in college phenomenon.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 AM

I'm confident that I will like the dating scene in Houston better than DC.

My situation in the last 2 years in DC:
- Internship hopping
- part time jobs at $10/hr
- renting apartment with 2 roommates
- living the lifestyle of a mid-20something
- a general feeling of stagnation in my life
- putting up with rude or self-absorbed people

My new situation in Houston would be:
- good job that pays 55K a year
- renting an upscale apartment within the inner loop
- no roommates
- enjoying the refreshing breath of air with down to earth and friendly people
- living the lifestyle of a person in his upper 20s - mid 30s

I'd say that's an improvement there, and I think it'll spill over into dating. Just wanted to see how other Houstonians feel about the scene here.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I'm confident that I will like the dating scene in Houston better than DC.

My situation in the last 2 years in DC:
- Internship hopping
- part time jobs at $10/hr
- renting apartment with 2 roommates
- living the lifestyle of a mid-20something
- a general feeling of stagnation in my life
- putting up with rude or self-absorbed people

My new situation in Houston would be:
- good job that pays 55K a year
- renting an upscale apartment within the inner loop
- no roommates
- enjoying the refreshing breath of air with down to earth and friendly people
- living the lifestyle of a person in his upper 20s - mid 30s

I'd say that's an improvement there, and I think it'll spill over into dating. Just wanted to see how other Houstonians feel about the scene here.
umm, actually, i think the air is toxic...

Old 01-29-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
umm, actually, i think the air is toxic...
lol

It was an expression. as in, the southern hospitality would be a "breath of fresh air" after spending nearly all my life in a city of self absorbed people.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:50 PM

FYI, ''southern hospitality'' exists here, but is diluted. There are transplants from everywhere around here, just like you're about to become. Trendy parts of town can also be fairly pretentious but not to the same degree as what you're thinking. Self-absorbed-ness can be found anywhere there is money to be made.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Okay, this is how it works, at least for 20-something guys. Some hotspot becomes new and trendy and word gets out there are a lot of single women hanging out at (insert place here). This typically brings every desperate dude in the city to said place. Now the guys who are desperate and go to clubs and such (as opposed to the ones who are desperate because school or their career owns them and they have no life, who you rarely see going out much anyway) work their magic on the women and as usual, they strike out. The women get tired of being hit on by losers. They go somewhere else, creating the next hotspot. Word gets out about the new spot. Rinse, lather, repeat. Nothing ever gains momentum, and things keep moving around.

What you've got to do is keep trying, and have a car. We're working on this, but as of this writing, not having a car is a plague upon your social life here. Things are spread out and so is the nightlife and the singles scene. If you're in Mid/downtown you might be able to get around it, but it's not easy. But people do it.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
FYI, ''southern hospitality'' exists here, but is diluted.
Ok by me, I'll take it

jfre81, thanks for the rundown, but I will have a car so that won't be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston